• 23 Feb 2017 - 10:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Blazing Magnum / Una magnum special per Tony Saitta (Alberto de Martino, 1976)  (Read 27512 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

UNA MAGNUM SPECIAL PER TONY SAITTA- BLAZING MAGNUM (1976)

Stuart Whitman, Martin Landau, John Saxon, Tisa Farrow

Detective Saitta (Whitman) along with Detective Matthews (John Saxon) investigates the murder of Saitta's sister who was poisoned on her college campus. The crime involves the theft of an expensive necklace from the Orient. At first evidence points to Doctor Tracer (Landau) but it's found through a long chain of events that the actual killer is close to home.

I've never been much of a Stuart Whitman fan but he's great here showing lots of spunk and energy in the action scenes doing most if not all of his own stunts. Saxon is also good as Whitman's partner but sadly, he doesn't get to do much during the action scenes. It's Whitman's showcase and he gives it his all especially in a showstopping 7 minute(!) bravura car chase sequence at the 57 minute mark. The movie opens with a bang when Saitta foils a robbery and putting down the crooks with his magnum, destroying several cars and businesses as a result.

Another highlight is a comical scene where Saitta must question a group of transvestites(!) and ends up duking it out with them destroying the apartment in the process and Saitta himself is tossed over the balcony(!) but climbs back up and continues fighting even jamming a hot curling iron up one of the drag queens rectum! The ending is a nice capper as the real killer tries to make an escape in a helicopter and Saitta puts his magnum to good use.

Tisa Farrow plays a blind girl who figures into the plot and even gets involved in a suspensful scene where the killer enters her apartment to kill one of her friends then goes after her. She makes her way into the street where cars zip past her nearly running her over. Farrow apparently did this dangerous piece of stunt work herself.

This is the first modern action film I've seen from Alberto De Martino (THE ANTICHRIST) and I'd like to see more. This is a Canadian-Italian co-production. I must say "BLAZING" is amazing and contains all the elements that make these movies such fun to watch. Whitman's "good guy" is a bit more crazy than usual if you can believe that. There's lots of action, bloodshed, nudity, wild plot devices and the exhilarating 7 minute car chase is worth seeing the film on its own.

LANZETTA

This is one of only a couple of polizio's i've seen (the other being ASSASSINATION filmed in New York /Hamburg) that wasn't based at all in Italy(Montreal in fact),it doesn't appear to have any Italian actors(well none that i can recognise),all the big names are American(Stuart Whitman excels throughout in his many chases,fights and shootouts) and consequently the movie has a definate feel of an American cop movie(albeit more violent) than an Italian polizo.

Still a brilliant crime thriller worth getting if nothing else for the brilliant extended car chase and Whitmans hilarious scrap with the transvestites.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

It's been said before but I'll say it again - this film needs a decent DVD release.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

It certainly does although it already looks really great on the Japanese VHS! Have you seen it? Its a very nice transfer.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

It certainly does although it already looks really great on the Japanese VHS! Have you seen it? Its a very nice transfer.

Merli's got the Japanese tape.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Merli's got the Japanese tape.

So have I!  ;)

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Did I say Merli? I meant to say Tanzi.

Jamie

• Almost Human

Man I love this movie! Im a fan of Stuart Whitman anyway, but it delivers with the over the top action. There's also some kinda Giallo-ish elements thrown into the mix too. Id have to say that car chase is my second favorite after Bullitt.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

After trying to track down the uncut Medusa tape for years without any luck I saw this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it.  I think I would have preferred Saxon in Stuart Whitman's role as he just seemed a little out of place to me (are his eyebrows scary or what?) and I though Martin Landau was great as he always is..  The car chase was spectacular and the helicopter shoot-out was so OTT it was great.  As for the transvestite scene, what the hell was that all about?  It just comes out of nowhere and makes you wonder what the script writer was smoking when he wrote it.  I am really surprised that this has not been awarded a DVD release, excluding the abridged fullscreen German DVD. 

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

After trying to track down the uncut Medusa tape for years without any luck I saw this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it.  I think I would have preferred Saxon in Stuart Whitman's role as he just seemed a little out of place to me (are his eyebrows scary or what?) and I though Martin Landau was great as he always is..  The car chase was spectacular and the helicopter shoot-out was so OTT it was great.  As for the transvestite scene, what the hell was that all about?  It just comes out of nowhere and makes you wonder what the script writer was smoking when he wrote it.  I am really surprised that this has not been awarded a DVD release, excluding the abridged fullscreen German DVD. 
Me and Jonny have nice widescreen Japanese tapes ::)

Your right the car chase is superb, i'd go as far to say it's better than the chase in Bulitt!

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

IL COMMISSARIO

The chase in BULLITT is left in the dust in comparison to the one in MAGNUM.  :P

Magnus Wersen

I have the Swedish VHS on a DVD-R and I really love the movie (being a Martin Landau fan doesn't hurt either), but isn't this more of a giallo than a crime movie? I think the title Shadows in an Empty Room fits very well considering the content.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

I suppose it is a hybrid like NAKED VIOLENCE and WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS?.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

I suppose it is a hybrid like NAKED VIOLENCE and WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS?.
I agree, but i think it is better off in the crime section, i'd say it's a crime with Giallo elemrnts ::)

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

IL COMMISSARIO

I think it's a crime movie with no giallo elements. Many police movies are whodunnits, too. I never would have thought of this being a giallo tinted movie had no one else made mention of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.773 seconds with 19 queries.