• 22 Oct 2020 - 13:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasn't there a thread for Euro War films on here?  (Read 4086 times)

Richard C

Was I imagining things or was there a thread for Italian war films on here? Anyway picked up Battle of the Damned/ Quella dannata pattuglia today on the VPD label (Pre Cert) and I was just wondering whether anyone else here had seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064865/

Don't think there's a previous thread on this but if there is then just merge this one with it.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
Re: Wasn't there a thread for Euro War films on here?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2007 - 14:55 »

I have a Hong Kong dvd of this film. Unfortunately, that's not the place to buy dvd's as the picture is full-frame and the Chinese subtitles are burned in!  :-[ Naturally, this does the film little justice and that's the problem with most of these Italian WW2 films - they're mostly just available in crappy fullscreen versions. Well, unless you buy the German dvds but they are in German only and not always uncut either.

Still, the film itself is pretty enjoyable from what I can remember (it's been a little while since I looked at it). It certainly had a good cast, including an early role by Fabio Testi.

I think Wild East are releasing a double dvd of SALT IN THE WOUND and CHURCHILL'S LEOPARDS, though, so that's good. Hopefully we'll get more Euro war on dvd. It's a very over-looked genre!

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2007 - 15:12 »

Hopefully we'll get more Euro war on dvd. It's a very over-looked genre!
Agreed ::)

2 of my favourite ones are 5 FOR HELL and CORBARI

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2007 - 22:57 »

5 FOR HELL is a lot of fun. Still haven't gotten CORBARI yet but also have the CHURCHILL'S LEOPARDS and Lenzi's FROM HELL TO VICTORY I got from another member here. Saw Lenzi's BATTLE OF THE COMMANDOS with Palance when I was a kid. Argento wrote this one I believe. I really wanna see Lenzi's GREAT ATTACK with Gemma, though.

Not sure if there's an italian war movie thread, but there is one for 5 FOR HELL.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2007 - 00:11 »

I have a nice-looking German dvd of CHURCHILL'S LEOPARDS that comes with an un-advertised English audio track. I quite like this film, which has a really good cast too.

GREAT ATTACK a.k.a. THE GREATEST BATTLE is getting a Scandinavian dvd release soon, which will be the film's first uncut dvd release of this enjoyable all-star cast film.

Several other Euro war films are available here and there on some of the 50 movie packs for example but they're fullscreen. There's a great-looking Japanese dvd of HORNETS' NEST (1970) with Rock Hudson and Sylva Koscina, though. Rather pricey disc of course but it looks good and the film is pretty nice too.

I'd recommend Lenzi's DESERT COMMANDOS, which is one of the best of these films. It's pretty original in that it follows some German soldiers on a mission to assassinate Churchill, Roosevelt and De Gaulle. It's one of Lenzi's best films - a brilliantly staged, suspenseful and emotionally involving film with a great cast that includes Horst Frank in a rare sympathetic role. This one needs a proper release.

OVERRUN, A PLACE IN HELL and DESERT BATTLE are all pretty good films too. However, the absolute best Euro war film of all time is imo THE BATTLE OF NERETVA. It's not just a great war film, it's a great film. Fantastic, harrowing battle scenes and an absolutely overwhelming experience with great performances from the entire A-list cast that includes Franco Nero, Sylva Koscina, Yul Brynner, Curd Jürgens, Orson Welles, Howard Ross and a bunch of great Yugoslavian actors. This highly recommended film is available (in English) on a pretty decent-looking Spanish dvd. It's the English version (German and Yugoslavian prints all include different footage) but since a complete intergral version isn't available this will do.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2007 - 00:40 »

Thanks for that Johan! Lenzi is a sadly under appreciated director. His war pictures, crime and adventure movies are his best works IMO. Never heard of BATTLE OF NERETVA.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2007 - 01:51 »

Agreed! I think Lenzi is a great director most of the time but his cannibal films, though popular among gore fans, have ultimately done him few favors, and cause a lot of people to unfairly label him a hack director.

THE BATTLE OF NERETVA was actually Oscar nominated for best foreign film but lost to the Algerian film Z. It's a highly recommended film but it isn't a light-weight "war is fun"-type of action film à la THE INGLORIOUS BASTARDS etc. It's a much more serious film that is based on true events about Yugoslavian partisans. But it's a great and powerful film that made quite an impression on me. The only known English language dvd is the Spanish one, which is widescreen (non-anamorphic) and runs 113 minutes or so. I got it at dvdgo a while back but I'm sure it can be found on eBay too. Reportedly, though, there exists a longer English version that runs 127. There's also a Serbian dvd that runs a whooping 165 minutes but without any English options. The Yugoslavian, English and German versions apparantly all have unique footage so there isn't really any ultimate version to go for at the moment. I wish some good dvd company would come along and create a fully restored version of this wonderful film - it certainly deserves it!

Phill

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2007 - 02:08 »

Bought Lenzi's  Bridge To Hell today for the princely sum of £1.99 got to be worth a watch eh? Or not reading the imdb comments. If anyone has Eagles Over London spare wouldn't mmind seeing it  :D

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2007 - 13:17 »

Well now! Just by chance I discovered that THE BATTLE OF NERETVA is coming to Italian dvd in December in a 147 minute version and with Italian, Spanish, German and ENGLISH audio options! It's still a little shorter than the Serbian dvd but should be a vast improvement over the Spanish dvd. Sounds like this could be the longest and best English-friendly version! More on this here: http://www.kultvideo.com/scheda.asp?item=17653&type=DVD

As for BRIDGE TO HELL, I think it's terrific! Obviously very low-budget and somewhat silly but it was fast-paced and very enjoyable. I actually liked the characters and found it very entertaining. It also comes with a synthesizer soundtrack, which may seem out of place but I thought it really fitted the film and made for an original touch. Lots of people seem to really hate this one, though, and complain about use of stock footage and logical errors. Well, it's not as if a lot of Hollywood action films are rich on logic either - they're just more expensive. I honestly don't feel that it detracted from the film's entertainment value really. It was good, decent, low-budget war movie fun. I'd very much like to also see Lenzi's WARTIME, which was made around the same time but it's pretty hard to come by...

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2007 - 17:15 »

Thanks Johan, I'll definitely keep an eye for that and GREAT ATTACK. :P

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2007 - 17:47 »

Has anybody picked up the DOGS O' WAR 10 movie set? Just spotted it on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/DOGS-O-WAR-COLLECTION-DVD-BOXSET-NEW_W0QQitemZ290182301142QQihZ019QQcategoryZ617QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Includes 10 interesting films. Most of them are Italian films:

DESERT COMMANDOS (1967)
DIRTY HEROES (1967)
EAGLES OVER LONDON (1969)
HELL COMMANDOS (1969)
WAR DEVILS (1969)
HEROES WITHOUT GLORY (1971)
BRIDGE TO HELL (1986)

But also two Yugoslavian films: OPERATION: CROSS EAGLES (1968) and THE HELL BOY (1985), as well as one Greek: THE MEDITERRANEAN IN FLAMES (1970).

Sounds like an interesting collection but has anyone actually seen the set and can comment on the quality. I'm not expecting wonders here but it would be cool if some of the films at least look half-decent...

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2012 - 16:35 »

I have finally gotten around to reviewing the handful of these I had knocking around:

Five For Hell
Eagles Over London - Blu-ray review.
Desert Commandos
Hell in Normandy

I have also previously reviewed Churchill's Leopards, Salt in the Wound and the ever enjoyable Inglorious Bastards

Have any more come to DVD in the last year?
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2012 - 19:41 »

Tim, there's a Hong Kong DVD of Battle Of The Damned, it's out of print but you see it about here and there.

Edit: Yes Rich, it was mentioned above, only noticed it afterwards.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2012 - 15:07 »

There's also a really nice-looking, English-friendly Czech DVD release of BATTLE OF THE DAMNED, which looks much, much nicer than that crummy Hong Kong DVD with burned-in subtitles. In fact, there are Czech DVD releases of a lot of Italian WW2 movies but most of them are in Italian and Czech language only. BATTLE OF THE DAMNED and WHEN HEROES DIE (1970) are the only ones that are English-friendly.
They are really nice-looking releases, though. The other non-English releases include SUICIDE COMMANDO (1968), THE BATTLE OF EL ALAMEIN (1969), A PLACE IN HELL (1969), BATTLE OF THE LAST PANZER (1969), KILL ROMMEL (1969), THUNDER FROM THE WEST (1969), OVERRUN (1970), THE RANGERS (1970), SKYRIDERS ATTACK (1971), and HEROES IN HELL (1973).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.