• 20 Sep 2020 - 19:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuovo Cinema Europeo - GREAT Italian magazine!  (Read 4831 times)

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
Nuovo Cinema Europeo - GREAT Italian magazine!
« on: 18 Nov 2007 - 16:41 »

Yesterday I received an Italian magazine I won on eBay in the mail. It's called Nuovo cinema europeo, was published from the mid 70s onwards and is absolutely fantastic!

The issue I have covers April-May 1977 and has text in both Italian, English, German and French, and features everything from announced projects, shooting details, casting news and publicity ads for various Italian films from that time.

It's really interesting to see that often the titles and the cast members attached to various projects listed here differs from the finished films. For example, it's reported that Mauro Bolognini's latest film, LA SIGNORA DEGLI ORRORI has just been cast and started shooting. The cast listed is Shelley Winters, Max Von Sydow, Renato Pozzetto, Alberto Lionello, Adriana Asti, Milena Vukotic and Ornella Muti. Of course, this is the film that was finally released in October that year as GRAN BOLLITO. However, Ornella Muti is not in the finished film but Laura Antonelli is. Presumably, Antonelli took over Muti's role. Pretty interesting. Same with the announced shooting of Franz Josef Gottlieb's THE JOY OF FLYING, which cites Olivia Pascal, Gianni Garko and Cinzia Monreale as cast members. Pascal and Garko both appear in the finished film, whereas Monreale must have been replaced at some point.

Also, some of the films that are announced as being in production were apparantly never finished - at least never released. One of the most interesting projects mentioned here is IL MAGO E LA SVASTICA (The Magician and the Swastika), which Pier Carpi started directing right after making RING OF DARKNESS in early 1977. The film is described as being about a "still-secret act of espionage during World War II. Though a fantastic story, it promises to be meticulous with regard to historical facts and to the analysis of the protagonist's psychic powers. The cast includes Max Von Sydow, John Phillip Law, Marisa Mell, Valentina Cortese and Paola Tedesco. Produced by Gas Film." Wow! Sounds really cool! Notice how all of the cast members except Von Sydow had just been in RING OF DARKNESS. I really wonder what happened to this film! If was unfinished or if was actually completed but never released.

However, the coolest things in this magazine are the publicity ads that are trying to sell various films at the Cannes film festival. The best ad is one for NINE GUESTS FOR A CRIME, whose English export title it turns out is actually THE WAY TO HELL:

So this proves there really is an English-dubbed version of this film. It was offered for sale at Cannes but it would seem as if no one bothered to pick it up as the English dub has never surfaced on VHS (it may have been shown theatrically in some countries, though... I don't know).

There's lots of other interesting stuff in here too. Haven't actually gotten the chance to fully look at it all yet but it's really awesome stuff! I need more of these magazines!!!

Mart85

Re: Nuovo Cinema Europeo - GREAT Italian magazine!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2007 - 18:10 »

Really interesting stuff, Johan.  Thanks for sharing it.  ::)

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2007 - 19:53 »

Very cool Johan,this magazine sounds interesting.Any chance of more publicity ads when you get the time?Many thanks.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2007 - 21:01 »

Yes, of course! It will be my pleasure to make some more scans tomorrow. There's some more cool ads in this magazine that I'm sure you guys will like.  :P

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2007 - 10:20 »

Looks like a really cool magazine! Will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for copies of this in the future.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2007 - 11:29 »

Okay, here are some more cool ads:

There are also plenty of tiny ads without pictures, like this:

There's even a dubbing ad with contact information for Nick Alexander!  ::)

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2007 - 11:33 »

Nice one :'(
Love that Merciless Man ad,great film as well.Pollanet showed a 35mm copy at his film festival a few months back with the director Mario Lanfranchi in attendance for the screening.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2007 - 11:43 »

And finally an ad for a film I had never heard of before... L'UOMO DA CORLEONE a.k.a. THE MAN FROM CORLEONE:

Like I said, I had never even heard of this film before even though it has a first-rate cast of well-known international actors like Marcel Bozzuffi, Adolfo Celi, Irene Papas, Gabriele Ferzetti, Andrea Ferreol, Laura Belli, Marino Masé and Vittorio Mezzogiorno, as well as music by the great De Angelis brothers.

Then I looked the film up on the IMDb and its listing is really short - listing only three actors: Bozzuffi, Celi and Leopoldo Trieste (who isn't listed on the poster ad). It struck me as pretty strange that important actors like Irene Papas and Gabriele Ferzetti wouldn't even be listed on the IMDb page. I then checked the Anica database and there is no listing for this film at all. I can't find any evidence that it ever got a theatrical release...

So the big question is: what the hell happened to this film? It looks to have been a big-scale crime film production with prominent actors, so why is it so obscure? Was it never released at all, or did it ever get some sort of VHS release, or possibly show up on TV? I hope it isn't a "lost" film. If anyone has any more information on this film or has actually seen it, please speak up! This flick sounds really interesting and I'd love to learn more about it.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2007 - 15:37 »

And finally an ad for a film I had never heard of before... L'UOMO DA CORLEONE a.k.a. THE MAN FROM CORLEONE:

Funniliy enough this rarity has been advertised in the listing for some of the Italian tv channels like Telenorba 8,Channel AB etc but is always replaced at the last minute by something else,there's a small thread about it over at Gente.It's supposed to be a very rare film and is now thought lost,perhaps Pollanet knows something about it?

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2007 - 16:29 »

Thanks for the info, Stephen! Now I'm really intrigued! I'm really hoping this film isn't lost. Just imagine what a great find it would be if anyone managed to track it down and release it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.