• 21 Oct 2017 - 17:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadow of Illusion / Le ombre roventi (Mario Caiano ,1970)  (Read 13566 times)

Stephen Grimes

Anyone seen or got a copy of this great sounding Italian horror from Mario Caiano?It stars Daniela Giordano who plays a model lured to Eygpt by a Satanic cult who want to sacrifice her to their Devil,supposed to have plenty of whippings,sadism and rituals with William Berger along for the ride as well.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Shadow of Illusion/Le ombre roventi (Mario Caiano ,1972)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 13:14 »

Never heard of it but it sounds great and by the look of those pictures it looks just like my kind of film.  :'(
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 13:26 »

Looks alright doesn't it,Midnight Video have a dvd-r of the English language release from the f/s Japanese tape but at $20 plus shipping i'm giving that a miss.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 13:40 »

I'm sure someone else will have a copy of it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a copy.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 14:10 »

I like Mario Caiano so I'd very much like to check this out. It's a really rare film and the Japanese release is the only one I've ever heard of for this film.

Btw, this isn't really a 1972 film. That's when it had its theatrical release in Italy but it was made ealier. Around late 1969 or early 1970. It is also of interest that one of the cast members is William Berger's wife at the time, Carolyn Lobravico. Both she and Berger were later arrested for possession of hashish in August 1970 and placed in a criminal lunatic asylum. Carolyn died there of acute peritonitis in October after the government refused her medical treatment. Apparently, they thought her terrible pain was due to drug withdrawl. A really harrowing story! I can't even begin to imagine what this must have done to William Berger...  :-[

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 15:13 »

Btw, this isn't really a 1972 film. That's when it had its theatrical release in Italy but it was made ealier. Around late 1969 or early 1970.
I'll change it to 1970 Johan.
Love these kind of films,i'm a big fan of Capri's RING OF DARKNESS which is a classic though i might be in a minority when i say that.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
Re: Shadow of Illusion/Le ombre roventi (Mario Caiano ,1970)
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 15:15 »

Never watched 'Ring of Darkness' due to my copy being in pretty bad shape. So it's a decent film then Stephen?

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 15:30 »

Never watched 'Ring of Darkness' due to my copy being in pretty bad shape. So it's a decent film then Stephen?
Yeah it's very good,saw it years ago via the Greek Cinehollywood tape and then you sorted me out a dvd-r last year.Amazing cast in it including Lara Wendel,Anne Heywood,Marisa Mell,Frank Finlay,Ian Bannen and John Philip Law.It's about 3 women who gave themselves to the Devil when they were younger but now want out,he uses Heywood's daughter against them which results in some mad scenes including a naked catfight between 15 year old Wendel and her mother.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 16:07 »

Count me in as another fan of RING OF DARKNESS!  ::)

I don't really consider it a complete success - for that it is too uneven - but it's a very interesting and strangely compelling film with a very good cast. There's also a really atmospheric score that was later re-used in PIECES.

The version I saw has French and Belgian subtitles and is sourced from another Cinehollywood release I believe. It's widescreen but way too dark and this seriously affects my enjoyment of the film. I know Midnight Video offers a version that has Swedish subtitles and I'm very tempted to pick it up as I believe it may be a great improvement (Scandinavian tapes almost always look pretty decent). Also, I'm hoping it may be a longer version as I've heard the Cinehollywood version is missing a few scenes (including the onscreen suicide of one of the characters).

This one should get a DVD release!! Then again, it may not happen anytime soon due to Lara Wendel's underage nudity. Furthermore, I'm fascinated by the film because it appears to have had a troubled production history. My Nuovo Cinema Europeo magazine states that this film finished shooting in 1977, so Lara may well have been only 12 or 13!!! I've no idea why it didn't come out until in 1979 but I guess there may have been financial problems so that it took take to complete the post-production. If so, then the English dubbing must also have been performed at a much later point, and this may explain why not a single one of the many English-speaking cast members supply their own voices for the English dub. Of course, the dialogue syncs very well with the lip-movements but the dead giveaway is how most of the voices are familiar from other films: Anne Heywood is dubbed by Silvia Faver, who also dubbed Dagmar Lassander in FORBIDDEN PHOTOS OF A LADY ABOVE SUSPICION, Stefania Casini in SUSPIRIA, Macha Magall in SS GIRLS etc, John Phillip Law is dubbed by Ted Rusoff who dubbed Klaus Kinski in SLAUGHTER HOTEL, Kieran Canter in BEYOND THE DARKNESS, Jack Taylor in PIECES etc, and I believe Irene Papas is dubbed with a thick Italian accent by the same woman who dubbed Dana Ghia with a very Scottish accent in SEVEN DEATHS IN THE CAT'S EYES.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 16:14 »

The version I saw has French and Belgian subtitles and is sourced from another Cinehollywood release I believe. It's widescreen but way too dark and this seriously affects my enjoyment of the film.

This is the same one Jonny sent me,i always turn up the brightness when i watch it.

There's also a really atmospheric score that was later re-used in PIECES.

That Cipriani soundtrack is amazing,very much in the Goblin vein.
There's a few samples from the cd over at Movie Grooves:
http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/unombranellombrasoundtrack.htm

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 16:40 »

I need to get that soundtrack. Really great stuff! Now, it's interesting you mention that the soundtrack is in the Goblin vein, Stephen, because the opening credits music is the same score that was later used in THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW (1978). So this casts some doubt to the claims that Goblin did the BLOODSTAINED soundtrack. IMO it really was Cipriani who did that score, although I guess Goblin had some limited involvement, which Antonio Bido of course is eager to advertise (and perhaps even exaggerate the degree of their ivolvement).

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 16:50 »

Returning to the actual topic of SHADOW OF ILLUSION, there's a great interview with its leading lady, Daniela Giordano, in which she discusses this film and others here: http://members.aol.com/eurosin/giordano.htm

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 17:01 »

Cool :'(
That's the first time i've seen it and it's Mirek's site who posts here now and then.
According to the Midnight Video site it was Giordano who actually asked them for a copy for herself.
She's great in Naschy's INQUISITION as the girl who sells her soul to the devil,the period costumes and scenes of the Satanic gathering are amazing.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2007 - 17:09 »

Count me as a fan of RING OF DARKNESS as well! I 'd be curious to see if the Italian Cinehollywood VHS looks better than the Greek one. I am proud to own the soundtrack by Stelvio Cipriani, a real gem. This movie needs its own thread!

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #14 on: 07 Dec 2007 - 10:35 »

Finally had a chance to watch SHADOW OF ILLUSION last night and it did not disappoint. I had read a few unflattering comments about the film so I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by it. Caiano is a talented director and I also like his EYE IN THE LABYRINTH.

As for SHADOW, it stars the beautiful-looking Daniela Giordano going to Cairo, where she encounters several sinister people who seem to think she's the reincarnation of Isis. It's all quite predictable, with Giordano's hilariously named character, Gail Bland, being sometimes frustratingly naïve but it's held alive by good atmosphere, locations, strange hallucinations and sacrificial scenes. Carlo Savina's score is another great asset. It's not particularly violent but Giordano and William Berger deliver solid work, and we also get Krista Nell (who looks less attractive than usual in a horrible black wig), an ugly and seriously creepy-looking high priestess who has a great freak-out scene, and a weird young girl who pops up and sings "Three Blind Mice" for no apparent reason (I believe she's played by a young Debra Berger). And they're all voiced by the faithful gang of familiar dubbers, whose voices we've all come to know by now.

Midnight Video's version looks pretty good:

But even if the picture quality is satisfying, the overall impression is still ruined by the fact that it's a pan and scan transfer, which ruins a lot of compositions and cuts out one person during conversions etc. It's a pity since the film appears to have some good camerawork, and it's quite strange too since this is sourced from a Japanese tape, which are usually widescreen. Still, the film is very rare so there aren't any better versions out there as of yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 21 queries.