• 12 Jul 2020 - 21:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Euro Cult Movies - MIFED/CANNES 1980  (Read 8848 times)

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
Re: Euro Cult Movies - MIFED/CANNES 1980
« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2007 - 18:39 »

Wow! Lots of great ads there! Thanks so much for posting! Really, really great!

I wonder what Franco Prosperi had to do with DEVIL HUNTER. I know that he's credited as the director of WHITE CANNIBAL QUEEN on some prints too...

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2007 - 19:10 »

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2007 - 19:11 »

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2007 - 19:13 »

Anthony Ascott is Giuliano Carnimeo and I suspect that this one was never made. Can't find anything about it at all on the web. Anyone know anything?

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2007 - 19:31 »

I've always had a soft spot for DAWN OF THE MUMMY (love the score for that one) and that pic kicks ass! Never heard of that Carnimeo flick either. Like you said, I doubt it got made. I have some FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazines from after STAR WARS came out and there was a massive plethora of similar films which never got made.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2007 - 19:49 »

Great book Jonny. Loving the pics, mate.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2007 - 22:17 »

INTERNATIONAL PROSTITUTION- this has to be the greatest film title ever!  :-\ Is the film as good as the title suggests? Anybody has it/has seen it?

zykl0nb

« Reply #22 on: 26 Nov 2007 - 06:33 »

lol that "Anthony Ascott" Two in the Stars one says "Ready for release" on the poster, so I wonder if this one got shelved or they were lying..

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #23 on: 26 Nov 2007 - 13:45 »

Hmm.... it says ready for release in October but the magazine itself is from May. I guess the plan was to get it ready for release by August but then the project probably fell apart. Although you never know. I may have been finished and then shelved as this has been known to happen with other films too. There is another Italian science fiction film called ARGONAUTI OLTRE LE STELLE (Argonauts Beyond the Stars) from 1977 that was directed by Aldo D'Angelo. It finished shooting and a roughly edited print was screened to a group of effects technicians that were reportedly quite impressed by it. However, the film has never been released anywhere. Bloody shame, isn't it? I love Italian science fiction but there aren't many of these films!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2007 - 13:49 »

I was thinking the same thing about the Sci Fi film Johan. It's the usual paint up a fancy poster, take it Cannes, get some finance and film it as fast as possible.

I reckon the part where it says that the spectacular effects have finished shooting could be true i.e. they've already been used in another movie  :D

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #25 on: 26 Nov 2007 - 17:07 »

I have heaps of those old sales catalogues here - sadly though many of the sales companies advertising those movies are long gone, and tracing the current rights owners can be a very difficult task indeed.

ps - I have a video release of INTERNATIONAL PROSTUTUTION.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #26 on: 26 Nov 2007 - 19:29 »

ps - I have a video release of INTERNATIONAL PROSTUTUTION.

Any good?

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #27 on: 26 Nov 2007 - 23:38 »

Too bad that they don't help in locating the rights owners but I still think that these sales catalogues are absolutely awesome! Not only do they feature interesting ads with cool artwork but you can also find plenty of fascinating information about shooting details, English titles, titles that were changed, films that were never released etc.

Great point about the producers simply showing up with some fancy poster at Cannes and hoping to attract financing, Jonny. I'm sure they tried that trick numerous times - sometimes with great results and other times not. It's also funny how the ad for that Carnimeo sci-fi flick claims to have "an important international cast". Well now! If they really had important international stars signed on then, surely, they would have displayed their names prominently in the ad, right?

Well, I guess it was just another trick. I've seen similar claims in some of the ads in the Nuovo Cinema Europeo magazine I got. I posted a couple of ads from that mag in a separate thread but this thread inspired me to scan some more. These ads don't have any real artwork or pictures but I still find them interesting. Look below at how THE BATTLE OF MARETH claims to have "an exceptional cast of American actors" but without naming any of them. I think THE BATTLE OF MARETH is probably an early title for Umberto Lenzi's THE GREATEST BATTLE, which did eventually end up starring a couple of big American actors like Henry Fonda and John Huston:

Also of interest are these two ads for science fiction films directed by "Roy Garrett", a pseudonym for Mario Gariazzo. One is titled DOSSIER U.F.O.: TOP SECRET, the other is called THE CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE. Looks like different ads for the same film to me, and I'm convinced that this is what was eventually released as THE EYES BEHIND THE STARS in 1978.

The magazine also contains a shooting schedule for various films and here we find THE CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE:

Looking at the details above we can see that it was apparently set to start shooting on July 15th 1977 and look at that great cast: John Saxon, Sybil Danning and Richard Todd!! It never happened of course - as we all know that Robert Hoffmann and Nathalie Delon are the stars in EYES BEHIND THE STARS, which is an interesting but so-so film. Personally, I think EYES would have been a lot more enjoyable with Saxon and Danning in the leads instead of Hoffmann and Delon. Oh well...

And notice how a Duccio Tessari film about the black revolution in Brazil called JARGAL was also set to start shooting on July 15th. Yet another film that appears to never have been finished. A real shame if you look at the cast - I'm sure Ursula and "The Hammer" would've been a fine pair!

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #28 on: 26 Nov 2007 - 23:41 »

Some more promo stuff:

Ad for a rare boxing film called RING. Hmm... an Italian ROCKY rip-off sounds pretty cool to me! Anyone seen it?

Some foreign sales ads featuring some interesting films. THE COLOURED GOVERNESS!!! Haha! Now that's a title that could never be used today!

More foreign sales ads. Notice the film called FACE OF A THIEF. I think that must be the ultra-rare Italian/Turkish poliziesco POLIZIA SELVAGGIA, which I didn't even know existed in English.

And then there's this cool little page which shows the biggest Italian films at the box office at that time - showing their box office takings in various Italian cities:

Anyone else have any issues of Variety or other trade papers with cool ads? I'd love to see more of this sweet stuff!  :P

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2007 - 11:06 »

Some quality stuff there Johan, thanks a million for posting them. I'll scan some more stuff when I'm next at work (don't have a scanner at home)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 35 queries.