• 05 Dec 2020 - 10:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Am I Doing In The Middle Of A Revolution? (Sergio Corbucci, 1973)  (Read 3058 times)

LANZETTA

As in the first two of Corbucci's trilogy the movie begins with the Priest(Paolo Villaggio) about to be shot by a firing squad who exclaims "What Am I Doing In The Middle Of A Revolution?" and goes on to tell in flashback mode how he had come to be in this scrape:-
Guido Guidi(Vittorio Gassman) an Italian actor is duped into travelling down to Mexico to form a theatrical company but is unwittingly smuggling arms to the revolutionaries led by Mexican baddie Carrasco,while the Priest arrives at the same destination on a holy mission.Following an ambush on the theatre by Carrasco to retrieve his arms and a counter attack by Mexican General Herrero(Eduardo Fajardo again!),Guido and the Priest find themselves sucked into the revolution after accidentally machine gunning down Mexican troops while trying to escape the carnage.The two "heros" initially don't get on but eventually become firm friends as they spend the entire movie going from one opposing side to the other and getting into some very dangerous predicaments in their futile attempts to escape the revolution.
Theres much more slapstick involved here than in Corbucci's other two revolutionary films but the two leads are very likeable-the Priest is very down to earth while Gassman as the hyper-active self-obsessed thespian is quite hilarious
and he is forced to impersonate Zappata and Cardinal among other things in order to survive!
There is much similarity in the set pieces to Companeros/Mercenary and one of my favourite scenes is when the Priest is nearly forced to sleep with an old hag of a matriarch who has been receiving bounties for the severed hands of Indian peasants,but is saved(as is Guidi who is buried up to his neck in sand) from this fate by a sudden attack of vengeful one-handed machete wielding peasants in skeleton masks.Theres also a great rescue by bi-plane when the Priest is lassoed at high speed from the air when about to be executed,and a motorcycle and sidecar chase with the two friends in Mexico army uniforms to protect themselves from Herrero but carrying with them a baby offspring of Zappata to save them from the rebels-so they think!!
A cool Nero-type mercenary shoot-em up this is not,and like DYS this is maybe an attempt by Corbucci to unromanticize(but still definately a comedy!) the Mexican Revolution as neither side is shown to be in a favourable light with the rebels being almost as ruthless and deceitful as the government troops-at one point Carrasco even tries to hang both Guidi and the Priest,and the films ending is much more downbeat than the previous two.
Ennio Morricones soundtrack is enjoyable if a little samey with the riff of the main theme being either whistled or damply played on a mandolin-the arrangement and melody is similar to the tune from DYS when Juan attacks the bank at Mesa Verde.
From the very little and slightly negative information i had before going into this movie i wasn't expecting too much and to the contrary although nowhere near classic i found this film very entertaining!!

The Hunchback

Corbucci's last really good western.

I can see why others can be put off by it but I enjoy it immensly.
Despite the silly comedy this may be one of his most brutal pictures as I do seem to recall a few, on screen, decapitations and plenty of senseless murder.
One of my favorite scenes is when our hero's our rescued, from eventual death, by one-handed mexican peon revolutionaries.

This needs a proper release.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

This is one of the latter Cobucci Westerns that I've not seen. I take it that there's not a decent DVD release available?
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

The Hunchback

This is one of the latter Cobucci Westerns that I've not seen. I take it that there's not a decent DVD release available?

sadly, no.

LANZETTA

I've got a widescreen video-sourced bootleg from Ebay but its better than nothing i guess.

I agree with Hunchback about this being Corbucci's last decent western. Sonny and Jed had its moments but still doesn't justify its great cast.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I've never seen SONNY AND JED, neither  :-[
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Italo-West-Fan

The German SW Fans doesn't really like this Corbucci, because the found that Vittorio Gassman is not good in the lead role, but I'm a Fan of this one ! A nice little western, a very cool satire and also a bit melancholy !
For this one, I made also a Fanmade Trailer:
Bete Amigo - 1972 - (Fanmade) Trailer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.