• 03 Apr 2020 - 18:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Giallo (Dario Argento, 2008)  (Read 57919 times)

Diabolik2

Re: Giallo (Dario Argento, 2008)
« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2007 - 20:49 »

There's a 1934 film called GIALLO.

But got probably nothing to do wit the genre.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2007 - 23:54 »

There's also the wonderfully named YELLOW: LE CUGINE (1969), which I believe is a giallo.

zykl0nb

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2007 - 05:09 »

Isn't it kind of bold to title your film after a whole genre?  It's akin to "Pulp Fiction".  It's gonna need to be be-all end-all of giallos to live up to its name.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2007 - 10:28 »

Actually I do....But I also had the fortune of seeing it for the first time on the big screen during the "Fantasy Film Fest" in Hamburg 2001 in a theatre filled with like minded people. ::)

I like the "train opening", Von Sydow's performance as retired Inspector Moretti, the Goblin score, the "New York Ripper" hommages, the gory murders.... ;)

Yeah, the movie has flaws, mostly noticable in the English dub and too much focus on the younger characters - while Moretti is far more engaging...but I still enjoy it immensely. :-X

just bought it on dvd...i'll let you know what i think of it
Dig that groove baby.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2008 - 15:37 »

Just found this over on Dark Dreams:

Alan Jones writes:

"Hi Nick, Dario’s new project might well be the English language thriller GIALLO written by Sean Keller and Jim Agnew. (The same writers have also just written John Carpenter’s latest LA GOTHIC). But while nothing has been set in stone regarding start date and other finer details, here’s what it’s about.

You might at first think the title simply refers to the type of stylized Italian crime thriller Dario popularized with THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE. Indeed, the story revolves around his favourite themes of gorgeous victims, excessive bloodletting and deviant killers. However, here the maniac responsible for a string of mutilation murders in Milan (but he’ll film in Turin again), is actually yellow, the literal English translation of the Italian world. Thanks to hereditary liver disease Hepatitis C, the psycho’s skin is a vivid sallow colour. His equally jaundiced view of the world compels him to first make the pretty women he picks up in his (yellow) taxi cab ugly before killing them.

Favoured methods include cutting off their eyelids and lips. The four main characters are air hostess Linda Clark (Asia’s role) whose catwalk model sister Celine has gone missing, Detective Enzo Lavia (Ray Liotta) who is driven to tracking down the pattern killer due to past demons, and the madman, referred to as Yellow (Vincent Gallo – note that’s Giallo with the 'i' missing in what is bound to feature in the marketing campaign). Key scenes echo Dario’s famous work – e.g. a glass roof Mall sequence - there’s a puzzling logo clue and there are a couple of neat twists along the way to keep a surprise element to the unusual finale. I can’t be more precise about the plot, deliberately styled after Dario’s early thrillers, although I do feel it has CAT O NINE TAILS meets OPERA potential. More details soon."
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

cyclonaut

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2008 - 18:27 »

What a great synopsis! ;)

Sounds great!  I've been looking forward to seeing a first run Argento in the theater for years now....  If somehow I miss MOT (which is supposed to have a limited release here next month) hopefully I'll get to see this on the big screen.

Here's to red gel lighting, Goblin scores and titties. :P

smileysmile18

• Almost Human
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2008 - 14:27 »

Fangoria.com had a small interview with the writers yesterday that implied the project was going to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. Unfortunately the site seems to be temporarily down for the moment, so I can't check it again.

Jay

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2008 - 15:26 »

I'll be seeing a screener of Mother of Tears tomorrow on a 50" plasma with some pals. I get the impression that Argento will shatter my mind after his slew of howlers. 

Delirium

• Almost Human
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2008 - 15:54 »

I'll be seeing a screener of Mother of Tears tomorrow on a 50" plasma with some pals. I get the impression that Argento will shatter my mind after his slew of howlers. 

Have to let us know what you thought.

I thought it was quite good fun personally. Daft beyond belief (not least the wtf cheese-eating ending), but still highly entertaining - much more than his other recent fair. No it's not the end to the trilogy we were expecting, but it is entertaining, gory and has a fantastic soundtrack. I liked Asia in it too.

I'll buy it when it comes out.

Jay

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2008 - 11:57 »

Okay, my quick verdict on MOTHER OF TEARS. I liked the way that it supposedly connects to the previous two movies but barely does so. The art direction was half-arsed and the mother of tears, although supposedly dead for hundreds of years, already made a nice cameo in Inferno. What it is it with the monkey? Where does the monkey come from? Also, why does the third mother have a magic dress from Top Shop that if comes off, the house falls down? I also enjoyed the Playstation 1 CGI effects at the end and the Police Squad homage where everyone laughs as the end credits roll. And what is it that she has fifteen followers that look like they walked out from a Cure concert in 1985? I liked the score and Dario perving over his daughter in the shower scene. The end.

Me and Sean thought it was so funny that we had to watch the ending again.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2008 - 20:16 »

Oh dear. Another "positive" reaction to the film  :-\
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2008 - 21:05 »

I am tired of reading about this movie! I want to finally watch it! Hopefully it will be released in theaters over here although the CARD PLAYER was far from a hit.

Delirium

• Almost Human
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2008 - 09:00 »

Oh dear. Another "positive" reaction to the film  :-\

Odd thing is how it goes from a serious start, to straight-to-video shlock. The ending really is unbelievable.. in a "THAT'S all it took!?!?!" kind of way.

But don't get me wrong. I enjoy STV shlock, and I enjoyed MOT.

IL COMMISSARIO

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jan 2008 - 19:36 »

Let's hope this is good, then. If the brothers W have faith in it, it could get a fairly wide release.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 34 queries.