• 30 May 2020 - 05:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Giallo (Dario Argento, 2008)  (Read 60173 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Giallo (Dario Argento, 2008)
« Reply #210 on: 21 Oct 2010 - 07:19 »

Adrien Brody sues film-makers for $2m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11581743

See my post on the previous page  :D
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #211 on: 21 Oct 2010 - 10:49 »

See my post on the previous page  :D
I didn't realise the thread had moved that many posts forward, I didn't look back enough  :D

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

CardPlayer4

« Reply #212 on: 22 Oct 2010 - 22:06 »

and Argento totally supports Brody's claim,blaming the lead producer of Hannibal Pictures who didn't paid the oscar winner but also Emmanuelle Seigner,Argento himself and the rest of the crew!...more news (in italian) on:

http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2010/10/21/usa-brody-blocca-giallo-non-mi-hanno.html

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #213 on: 10 Nov 2010 - 22:47 »

Just watched the no-frills US dvd.

Ok, so nowhere as bad as folks made out. A lot better than i thought it would be. A nice enough police flick but all in all a disappointment from Argento.
Dig that groove baby.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #214 on: 11 Nov 2010 - 07:36 »

Just watched the no-frills US dvd.

Ok, so nowhere as bad as folks made out. A lot better than i thought it would be. A nice enough police flick but all in all a disappointment from Argento.

Whis pretty much sum up my feelings. It's not crap but not a patch on any of Dario's other semi-decent films of recent years(Card Player, Hitchcock). It's certainly a lot, lot better than Mother of Tears and Phanto of the Opera.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

CardPlayer4

« Reply #215 on: 21 Nov 2010 - 09:00 »

Thoughts on the italian Blu Ray:

http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2010/11/bd-impressions-giallo/

There's also a special 2 discs edition on dvd,with lots of extras (making of,score,trailer,etc) but no footage of the strike,i guess! ;D

It's certainly a lot, lot better than Phanto of the Opera.

And "Sleepless"... ;D

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #216 on: 21 Nov 2010 - 11:57 »

Even though its far from Argento's best, Sleepless still pisses on Giallo from a great height, IMO.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

gnorthcott

« Reply #217 on: 21 Nov 2010 - 15:30 »

i think 'sleepless' is the best argento film of this past decade,it has a cool retro feel to it  :)

Funktion

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #218 on: 21 Nov 2010 - 16:06 »

i think 'sleepless' is the best argento film of this past decade,it has a cool retro feel to it  :)
A lot of people didn't like Sleepless for some reason, but I really enjoyed it, even if it wasn't terribly original. Maybe the people who dislike it only watched it (or first watched it) with the English audio track, which is appalling.

I watched the Italian DVD with the Italian audio track first. I then sampled the English audio track also included, and I could see it negatively impacting my enjoyment of the film, if I first watched it with that track on.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #219 on: 21 Nov 2010 - 16:13 »

The problem I have with NONHOSONNO is that it didn't stand up to repeated viewing; I really enjoyed it on first viewing though.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #220 on: 21 Nov 2010 - 18:03 »

The problem I have with NONHOSONNO is that it didn't stand up to repeated viewing; I really enjoyed it on first viewing though.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I really liked it when I saw it for the first time, back at the time of the Italian DVD release. Didn't watch it again until I saw the Arrow check disc last year and thought it didn't stand up as well. In my opinion the reverse applied to TRAUMA and STENDHAL SYNDROME.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #221 on: 21 Nov 2010 - 20:58 »

I completely agree! Absolutely loved SLEEPLESS when I first saw it but repeat viewings have not been as kind. I had the opposite reaction to THE CARD PLAYER, which I thought was merely OK when I first saw it but I've come to appreciate it a lot more on repeat viewings. It's still no masterpiece but I think it's a much better thriller than what people give it credit for.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #222 on: 22 Nov 2010 - 12:37 »

I really liked Nonhosonno and thought it's one of the better ones since Opera. Like some others on here i have only ever seen it in Italian with English subs, I've never seen the English dub.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

CardPlayer4

« Reply #223 on: 23 Nov 2010 - 19:33 »

Absolutely loved SLEEPLESS when I first saw it but repeat viewings have not been as kind. I had the opposite reaction to THE CARD PLAYER, which I thought was merely OK when I first saw it but I've come to appreciate it a lot more on repeat viewings. It's still no masterpiece but I think it's a much better thriller than what people give it credit for.

I think that "The Card Player" is probably Argento's best work post-"The Stendhal Syndrome",even if i like very much "Jenifer" from the Masters of Horror and even if i had fun with the craziness of "Mother of Tears".
In "Sleepless" i like the train scene,Goblin and Max Von Sydow but IMO the film doesn't really add something fresh and new to Argento's career,the film looks too much like an uneven,tired "best of"...Argento delivering his "greatest hits"...in "The Card Player" i really like the lead warm performances,the minimalist style and tight storytelling.  

In my opinion the reverse applied to TRAUMA and STENDHAL SYNDROME.

i agree...especially "Stendhal"...i was very mixed about this film the first time i saw it but now after further viewings i think that it is one of his best films.
"Trauma" is often maligned but i like its intimate,character driven story...Asia's performance is fine and touching.

thuleviolenta

« Reply #224 on: 24 Nov 2010 - 10:53 »

in "The Card Player" i really like the lead warm performances,the minimalist style and tight storytelling.  

now here we have a "reason" to like "The Card Player"..while "Sleepless" is a just a "best-of"...in the card player argento abandons any of his visual "trademark" style to deliver a flat unremarkable/mediocre "Tv-prime time" compatible film (that could have been made by any director "xy"), and this so called "minimalist" style (=no style at all?) even appeals to some people! while i am completely aware that such "i like this film" "I dislike it" talk is pointless and leads to nowhere here i just couldnt resist..
the only good thing i can find in the (disposable) card player is the good ost of claudio simonetti-shame i cant say the same thing about the film
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 34 queries.