• 26 Jun 2022 - 07:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Hunt / No alla violenza (Tano Cimarosa, 1977)  (Read 20076 times)

vigilanteforce

I just watched this trashy crime film from the director of REFLECTIONS IN BLACK. Very cheap and not as fast-moving as it could have been. It has its moments though- a couple of great death scenes that make inventive use of dummies: a little girl is ran over by a car- cut to a shot of her doll, covered in blood. The director himself plays a father who avenges the killers of his baby daughter. He is not the most convincing vigilante you will see but still passable considering how cheap this is. A moustached Al Cliver plays a violent commissario- I loved that scene where he tells an old woman to stop pretending she is respectable cause its something "she is not". Tony Raccosta (ROLF, DELITTO CARNALE, HUNTED CITY) plays one of the thugs.   

This must have been a rushed production, its so cheap that it reminded me of these Italo-Turkish crime films for a few seconds. But to be honest, its a cut above them.

I prefer Cimarosa's REFLECTIONS IN BLACK, I think its a great giallo (although cheap) no matter its bad reputation.

Some grabs:

Greek VHS:

Danish VHS:

Italian locandina:

Mart85

Re: Death Hunt/No Alla Violenza (Tano Cimarosa, 1977)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 13:28 »

Pretty much my thoughts on it, vig. 

Also worth a look for spaghetti western fans as it has Rick Boyd in it doing his usual job.  :'(

vigilanteforce

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 13:40 »

Mart, I have heard lots about Rick Boyd (he is mentioned in the Luciano Rossi book too) but still don't know who he is. Do you have a picture of him that you could post here?

Still haven't decided which is the best print of the movie. The Greek or the Danish one? The Greek looks a bit clearer but its fullscreen. The Danish one is letterboxed but its kind of grainy... had two different copies of it so far and none of them looks as clear as I would expect. The grain looks like a VHS defect though, not of the actual print used.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 13:46 »

I liked this one quite a lot too. My copy is from the Danish release and I was more than happy with it.

MAJOR SPOILERS (Do not read if you haven't seen the film!!!)

One thing I remember about this film is that nearing the end of the movie, when Tano rescues the woman from the house, I was literally shouting at the screen telling him to put down his rifle... "Put your gun down or the dumbass police are going to shoot you!!!" Of course he couldn't hear me and was duly shot dead.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 13:52 »

MAJOR SPOILERS (Do not read if you haven't seen the film!!!)

That was quite a sudden ending wasn't it? It was kind of predictable but it all happens so fast that it takes you by surprise.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 13:55 »

Absolutely, plus you've kinda grown to like the guy and don't want him to die.

Haven't seen it for a while but is this the film with the long striptease routine in a restaurant?

Mart85

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 13:56 »

Mart, I have heard lots about Rick Boyd (he is mentioned in the Luciano Rossi book too) but still don't know who he is. Do you have a picture of him that you could post here?

Rick Boyd in I WANT HIM DEAD:

and here he is being interviewed on STRACULT:

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 15:28 »

Still haven't decided which is the best print of the movie. The Greek or the Danish one?
There was also 2 Finnish releases on KM Video/Videotime which were both lbx,the better of the 2 was the first issue which i ended up selling to Tanzi years ago whilst the second looked like an nth gen copy which i gave away!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2007 - 15:31 »

I got my copy off Tanzi so maybe mine isn't the Danish print after all. I'll check it when I get home and if it's the Finnish one I'll post a couple of grabs for comparison.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2007 - 14:10 »

Judging by that screengrab, the Danish version looks far superior to me. It's been a while since I saw the film but I quite like it. It's great, trashy fun, and I enjoyed having Cimarosa in the director's chair. What really does it for me is the wonderful cast! Al Cliver is top-billed (and not dubbed by Nick Alexander for a change) but he isn't really the main character as Cimarosa muscles in and sort of takes over the lead - one of the priveliges of directing yourself! Lol! I also thought Paola Quattrini was quite fun as the rich kidnap victim, even though I almost didn't recognize her at first (she also played Edwige Fenech's ditzy, blonde friend in CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS). Another surprise is Ninetto Davoli, who used to be one of Pasolini's favorite actors, popping up here. He must have needed the cash badly. Add to that the über-sleazy Rick Boyd, trash film extraorinaire and one-time Miss Italy Zaira Zoccheddu as Cliver's sister, and a pre-hardcore Guia Lauri Filzi, and you've got a recipe for success in my book!  ::)

vigilanteforce

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2007 - 15:13 »

Judging by that screengrab, the Danish version looks far superior to me.

That's right Johan, but the problem is there is some some grain which can't be seen in still pictures. Not too distracting though. I'd be curious to see if Johny's version looks any better. Forgot to say I love the dramatic theme of the opening credits which can be heard like 10 times throughout the film- plays during the end credits too!

Diabolik

• One Just Man
    • Diabolik - European Trash Cinema On Danish Video
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2007 - 21:49 »

Still haven't decided which is the best print of the movie. The Greek or the Danish one?

If you want, I can make you another copy with another 'filter' that enhances the picture quality!
/D

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2007 - 09:00 »

Here's a couple of grabs from the DVD-R Tanzi made for me, not sure about which country it's from can anyone tell by the subtitles?

Danish

Greek

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2007 - 09:21 »

Cheers Diabolik! So we've now got 3 VHS versions to choose from.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.