• 05 Dec 2019 - 13:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: A Lizard In A Woman's Skin (Lucio Fulci, 1971)  (Read 64274 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: A Lizard In A Woman's Skin (Lucio Fulci, 1971)
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 13:36 »

I've amended my post - it should have said "The 80s weren't exactly a vintage time for Italian exploitation" - doh!

That said, some of Argento's flicks were still very good, even though the likes of PHENOMENA and OPERA have their share of setractors - I think they're great.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

« Reply #16 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 13:59 »

You should give Soavi's film a try if you haven't already, I think its almost as good as Argento's movies of the same era (OPERA), although obviously cheaper.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 14:04 »

You should give Soavi's film a try if you haven't already, I think its almost as good as Argento's movies of the same era (OPERA), although obviously cheaper.

I've seen STAGEFRIGHT - and you're dead right, it's great. Soavi is a great filmmaker. I count DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE as one of my favourite, non 60-70s Italian flicks. Just a shame he's not done many films.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #18 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 14:19 »

One of Soavi's new films were at the cinema here in Paris. The description of it looked a little crap to be honest!!
Dig that groove baby.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #19 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 14:23 »

One of Soavi's new films were at the cinema here in Paris. The description of it looked a little crap to be honest!!

I've just bought an official Thai DVD of it - it's called AMORE CIAO (GOODBYE KISS) and is a thriller, from what I can make of it.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #20 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 15:03 »

Let us know if its any good as soon as you watch it! I've been hearing positive things about it but, to be honest, I don't know what to expect. It was stupid of me to miss it during its brief theatrical run over here...

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #21 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 15:21 »

Let us know if its any good as soon as you watch it! I've been hearing positive things about it but, to be honest, I don't know what to expect. It was stupid of me to miss it during its brief theatrical run over here...

Will do - we've not seen sight of it here in the UK, but this is pretty common for most non-arty Italian films, anyway.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #22 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 21:26 »

STAGEFRIGHT a giallo? I've always thought of that as a slasher movie. Even Soavi himself calls it a slasher film. Great movie though. Never cared for Soavi's THE SECT, and THE CHURCH takes a while to get going.

Probably referred to as a slasher because it was made in the 80s when all but Argento was making gialli un their purest form - STAGEFRIGHT most definitely has giallo elements.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 12:13 »

I saw Soavi's Arrivederci amore, ciao at a Cannes market screening back in May 2006 - I recommend it highly. It's very dark.

Soavi himself was at the screening along with some of the cast.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 12:15 »

I saw Soavi Arrivederci amore, ciao at a Cannes market screening back in May 2006 - I recommend it highly. It's very dark.

Soavi himself was at the screening along with some of the cast.

Cheers, Marc - I shall try and see it this week.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 12:34 »

STAGEFRIGHT a giallo? I've always thought of that as a slasher movie. Even Soavi himself calls it a slasher film. Great movie though. Never cared for Soavi's THE SECT, and THE CHURCH takes a while to get going.

Probably referred to as a slasher because it was made in the 80s when all but Argento was making gialli un their purest form - STAGEFRIGHT most definitely has giallo elements.

Well, it depends on what your definition of giallo is. For some, italian slasher movie = giallo. The film was included in the Blood & Black Lace book which was The Dark Side magazine's guide to giallo cinema. On the other hand, that book also included films that simply aren't gialli, such as HITCH-HIKE which can be described more accurately as exploitation. As for Soavi's movie, I consider it a giallo: it is an Italian thriller about an unknown killer and also has a twist ending.

The giallo has been changing from decade to decade though. In the 60s the giallo was a conspiracy thriller with provocative/sexy elements (THE SWEET BODY OF DEBORAH, PARANOIA, ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER, etc). In the 70s, there was usually a black gloved killer with sexual or financial or personal motives (BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMMAGE, SO SWEET SO DEAD, IGUANA WITH THE TONGUE OF FIRE, SEVEN BLOODSTAINED ORCHIDS, etc). In the 80s the giallo became less complicated in terms of plot, adopted a modern look and relied more on gore (TENEBRE, THE NEW YORK RIPPER, STAGEFRIGHT, A BLADE IN THE DARK, OFF BALANCE, etc).

So I think STAGEFRIGHT qualifies as a giallo, in the 80s sense of the term.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 20:35 »

I know what a giallo is and I've never heard STAGEFRIGHT referred to as one especially when its director calls it a slasher movie. The creative kills, the psycho from the loony ward, there are no twists as you already know who the killer is not to mention the killer comign back not once but twice at the conclusion.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 20:59 »

SLASHER films is definitely an Americanism, whereas giallo is a term applied to Italian films -- out side Italy -- whereas in Italy, all whodunnits, whether Italian or not are referred to as gialli. STAGEFRIGHT defintiely adheres to the giallo formula, even though it was made in the 80s and was more than likely influenced by American slasher flicks.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 21:09 »

But it is not a whodunnit. You already know who the killer is and you see his face. Not to mention the fact that the killer wears a large mask of an owls head. This movie owes more to slashers than giallos, IMO. In interviews with the man it is even called a slasher movie. Even Deodato did a slasher movie CAMPING TERROR and it doesn't matter which country you are from. In all truth the slasher was born from the giallo and simply took the complicated plots and made them simpler and added lots of gore and instead of having an unseen, black gloved killer, simply put a mask on his head.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 21:11 »

But it is not a whodunnit. You already know who the killer is and you see his face. Not to mention the fact that the killer wears a large mask of an owls head. This movie owes more to slashers than giallos, IMO. In interviews with the man it is even called a slasher movie. Even Deodato did a slasher movie CAMPING TERROR and it doesn't matter which country you are from. In all truth the slasher was born from the giallo and simply took the complicated plots and made them simpler and added lots of gore and instead of having an unseen, black gloved killer, simply put a mask on his head.

...and of course, you're right, but STAGEFRIGHT still has giallo elements and that's the point Vigilanteforce and I are trying to make.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 34 queries.