• 06 Jun 2020 - 04:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: A Lizard In A Woman's Skin (Lucio Fulci, 1971)  (Read 69553 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: A Lizard In A Woman's Skin (Lucio Fulci, 1971)
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 21:13 »

SLASHER films is definitely an Americanism, whereas giallo is a term applied to Italian films -- out side Italy -- whereas in Italy, all whodunnits, whether Italian or not are referred to as gialli.

I'll second that, I remember being in Rome a couple of years ago and heading for the 'Giallo' section in a large book store to find a section filled with everything from Agatha Christie to Stephen King.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

vigilanteforce

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 21:33 »

I know what a giallo is and I've never heard STAGEFRIGHT referred to as one especially when its director calls it a slasher movie.

I am not doubting your knowledge. What I did was trying to point out the changes the giallo genre went through the last few decades and explain why Soavi's film is a giallo according to the 80s meaning of the term "giallo". My point is that since films such as THE NEW YORK RIPPER, FORMULA FOR A MURDER, A BLADE IN THE DARK, TENEBRE and OPERA are considered to fit in the genre, STAGEFRIGHT should fit as well.

You can call it a giallo, a slasher film, a giallo with slasher elements or a slasher with giallo elements, it doesn't really matter does it? Its like playing with words here.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #32 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 21:40 »

Just for the record...

My point of reference for what is a 'Giallo' film...

Adrian Luther Smith's book 'Blood and Black Lace'

Blood & Black Lace Giallo Book at this Link HERE

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

vigilanteforce

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 21:45 »

Just for the record...

My point of reference for what is a 'Giallo' film...

Adrian Luther Smith's book 'Blood and Black Lace'

Blood & Black Lace Giallo Book at this Link HERE

Agreed, this is a book that any genre fan should buy. I will lie if I say I agree with everything the guy writes in there (HITCH-HIKE a giallo???) but still, its an essential buy and the only Euro Cult book that I revisit every once in a while. The Italian crime genre needs a similar book :D

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 21:50 »

Are you referring to the dark side magazine book? I bought the ZOMBIE, CANNIBAL and AMICUS books. They're all gorgeously put together only I wish there were more background info on the films. Still trying to get that FEMM FATALES book they did.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 22:04 »

Are you referring to the dark side magazine book?

Yes, that's the one. An essential book as far as I'm concerned.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #36 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 22:05 »

Are you referring to the dark side magazine book? I bought the ZOMBIE, CANNIBAL and AMICUS books. They're all gorgeously put together only I wish there were more background info on the films. Still trying to get that FEMM FATALES book they did.

Yeah, it's publsihed by THE DARKSIDE - it's a great book. My only criticism is that there should have been a revised edition to cover the DVD releases that have appeared since it was published, way back in 1998.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 22:07 »

They produce an excellent magazine. Only wish it weren't so expensive. It's 2 dollars higher here I assume from the cost to import it.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 22:12 »

They produce an excellent magazine. Only wish it weren't so expensive. It's 2 dollars higher here I assume from the cost to import it.

I've not bought the mag in a good while - I had a subscription, but let it lapse. The truth is, the mag is a shadow of its former self; there are some good articles in there still, but I sued to be thrilled to get each new issue, back in the day, and would read it cover-to-cover. The last year or so I bought it, I would read three or four articles, max. Maybe it's because we've read so much about this stuff over the years, that it's all become a little passe.

Still, you can do a lot worse than checking out some of the back issues, if you find them cheap enough.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 22:45 »

Still, you can do a lot worse than checking out some of the back issues, if you find them cheap enough.

There's a really good interview in the Dark Side with Ray Lovelock that I got permission to put online at the link below..

Ray Lovelock The Man From The Morgue CLICK HERE

dracucarr

« Reply #40 on: 12 Jul 2007 - 13:20 »

What do you guys think of the scene with the dogs being disembowelled? It is a powerful scene, but I don't think it was really needed for this film. I always want my stuff uncut so I am glad I have it on disc, but it seems to have been added just as a gory crowd pleaser.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #41 on: 12 Jul 2007 - 13:27 »

What do you guys think of the scene with the dogs being disembowelled? It is a powerful scene, but I don't think it was really needed for this film. I always want my stuff uncut so I am glad I have it on disc, but it seems to have been added just as a gory crowd pleaser.

Fulci and effects man Carlo Rambaldi had to prove to an Italian court that the secene had been faked. It's ludicrous when you look at it now, as it does look a little iffy.

The Hunchback

« Reply #42 on: 12 Oct 2007 - 01:20 »

Fulci and effects man Carlo Rambaldi had to prove to an Italian court that the secene had been faked. It's ludicrous when you look at it now, as it does look a little iffy.

Yeah those dogs are clearly puppets. Surprised they didn't realize that back then.

I liked this GIALLO. I thought it was better than Fulci's DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING.
The ending was a cop out, yes, but it has a lot more going for it. Surreal imagery and so forth. The score is pleasing as well.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #43 on: 10 Feb 2010 - 15:22 »

Optimum is releasing this Fulci classic here in the UK this coming June. Artwork below, but I'd ignore the cert, as it's not up on the BBFC's site as having gone through yets, anyway:

Zarith

« Reply #44 on: 10 Feb 2010 - 20:38 »

Looks great. I really like when DVD labels use the original artworks  ;)

Is that Silvia Monti?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 35 queries.