• 26 Jun 2022 - 08:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Romanzo Criminale (Michele Placido, 2005)  (Read 25705 times)

vigilanteforce

Romanzo Criminale (Michele Placido, 2005)
« on: 02 Jan 2008 - 12:37 »

I rented a Greek DVD of this movie and absolutely loved it. It has everything I like too see in a modern gangster movie and they handled the "rise and fall of a gangster" theme pretty well! No complaints from me, this one is a gem, highly recommended to any fan of Italian cinema- which needs more films like this one btw.

I watched the DVD and the aspect ratio of the main feature was 1:78:1 and then watched the trailer in the extras which was 2:35:1 so that means they messed up the ratio in that disc! Wasn't there a UK tin box? I am ordering this straight away!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Romanzo Criminale (Michele Placido, 2005)
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 12:46 »

Yes, the UK DVD is 2.35:1. I loved this film too, superb cast especially Kimi Rossi Stuart. Possibly the best film I've seen to come out of Italy in recent memory.

SPOILERS

I must say I jumped out of my seat when the train station exploded! And what a superb use of subtle CGI for that scene too. Brilliant stuff.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 12:57 »

LOL when that happened I jumped off my bed as well! really unexpected!

just found the limited "steelbox" released at play.com and tried ordering it but I get a note saying "it can only be delivered to UK addresses"  :) guess it has something to do with licensing issues.

fdsmedia

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 13:32 »

No you just need to click on the EURO symbol to be able to order from outside the UK.  ???

vigilanteforce

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 13:40 »

LOL really? I didn't know that  ??? guess I must be primitive  :-\

Always having problems with PLAY anyway, last time I ordered they sent me an e-mail saying my card had been declined so I decided to order the exact same discs from Amazon. A few days later I went to check my PO box and saw one package from play and one from Amazon, both containing the same DVDs! I ended up giving the spare ones to friends as xmas presents.

Pollanet

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 14:03 »

i agree, this is perhaps the best recent italian movie and I like it, much more than Arrivederci amore ciao that is another recent celebrate italian crime movie

perhaps you just know this movie belongs from a book, called also Romanzo criminale, written by De Cataldo who was a judge in the 70-80's, I really love this book

all this story is a real story about Banda della Magliana, only the names were changed, and it's very powerful to understand how criminality worked in Rome and in Italy

bologna's rail station is just in front of my office, and I was there the day when the sequence was directed, but i didn't see it :( ... however in the movie there is the wrong side of the station (the right), in 1980 was the left side shut by a bomb

now is out the director cut/long version of this movie, with about 30 mins more than the first edition on dvd...

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 14:27 »

I didn't know that the Director/Versione Integrale was out on DVD. Have you seen it Pollanet? I'm tempted to buy the Italian 2 Disc DVD as it has English subtitles...

Romanzo Criminale - 'Versione Integrale' info here

Pollanet

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 14:42 »

yes i saw it in a shop, but i haven't buy it yet, I just have a copy from an italian sat channel that was the first to show the long version, cut because too much time for a cinema  :-*

here you should find the extended version, my connection is very bad :(

http://www.thrauma.it/dettaglio.php?dettaglio=dvd&id=23850

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 15:50 »

Does anybody know what's extra?
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 16:02 »

From what I can make out on the Warners link in my post above it's 20 minutes of footage cut to bring the theatrical running time down. Plus the 2nd disc of extras.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 16:41 »

wish I knew about the director's cut version a few hours earlier lol I think I will double dip though as this a GREAT movie.

Stuart Chivers

« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2008 - 18:04 »

If anyone is unsure about this movie, the UK disk is currently £4.99 at Play.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2008 - 15:05 »

wish I knew about the director's cut version a few hours earlier lol I think I will double dip though as this a GREAT movie.
It would be great to see it but i hate it when they do things like this with recent films.

It's understandable when it happens to an older film or a film that was interfeared with and the director honestly wants you to see his real vision.

but when it comes to newer films it is blatantly a studio cash in, how many times have you bought a film only to find a few short months later a better one comes out! :-[

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Pollanet

« Reply #13 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 21:42 »

It would be great to see it but i hate it when they do things like this with recent films.

It's understandable when it happens to an older film or a film that was interfeared with and the director honestly wants you to see his real vision.

but when it comes to newer films it is blatantly a studio cash in, how many times have you bought a film only to find a few short months later a better one comes out! :-[

you are right tanzi

however today it's almost impossible to show in a theater a movie longer than 2 hours, even if your name is, for example, quentin tarantino, show-biz don't allow it, at least in italy

also michele placido has a good name in italy, the book Romanzo criminale sold a lot, but only the short version was played at cinemas

so why directors realize yet movies with this "extra-time"?? to sell "extra-dvds"? Romanzo criminale is stranger, as i told this was broadcasted on tv with also the commentary before that dvd with longer version was out...

Vito Cipriani

• Almost Human
« Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 22:04 »

I bought the UK disc in a sale at the tail end of 2007, and this thread has reminded me that I still haven't watched it  ???

I must get around to watching the movie soon.
'Society has many means of protecting itself: bureaucracy, red tape... and the revolver'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.