• 26 Jun 2022 - 07:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Romanzo Criminale (Michele Placido, 2005)  (Read 25703 times)

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Special Cop In Action
    • Fragments of Fear - A Giallo Podcast
Re: Romanzo Criminale (Michele Placido, 2005)
« Reply #15 on: 09 Mar 2008 - 14:53 »

Ordered a copy off amazon.co.uk after reading the posts above a while back. Watched it over the weekend and thought it was excellent. Would have missed this great film if it wasn't for this thread.

Polla, are there any other recent Italian crime films out that are worth watching? (Preferably with some kind of english option)

Pollanet

« Reply #16 on: 09 Mar 2008 - 17:54 »

the other celebrated recent italian crime movie is Arrivederci amore, ciao... but I don't like it very much, not as Romanzo criminale

the book "Arrivederci amore, ciao" is great, his writer (Massimo Carlotto) has a very particular personal history and he is an excellent noir writer, some months ago I read an his book called Nordest and i found it really wonderful, perhaps the best book of the last years, i think that Arrivederci amore, ciao (the movie) could be better....

another recent movie located in 70-80's is L'odore della notte with Valerio Mastrandrea that is the real 'missing actor' in Romanzo criminale, I think it's a good movie

now is out in italian cinema "Fine pena: mai" that sounds good but i haven't seen it yet, the real life through 80's of a boss of Sacra Corona Unita that was an organization as mafia or camorra

also i read that Romanzo criminale will become a tv-serie or some tv-movies... now are working for this in Rome

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Special Cop In Action
« Reply #17 on: 09 Mar 2008 - 18:16 »

Thanks very much Polla. I'll check Arrivederci amore, ciao out once there's a decent DVD out. A few of Carlotto's books seems to be available in English, so I think I might order one and see what it's like. Thanks for the tip!

There's a trailer for Fine pena: mai's trailer on YouTube. Wouldn't mind seeing that at some point.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2008 - 09:05 »

Peter - Arrivederci amore, ciao has had a legitimate release in Thailand and it has English subs.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Special Cop In Action
« Reply #19 on: 10 Mar 2008 - 09:10 »

Peter - Arrivederci amore, ciao has had a legitimate release in Thailand and it has English subs.

Cheers Paul. What's the quality like? I've got a few R3 discs that I'm not that impressed with.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2008 - 09:13 »

Cheers Paul. What's the quality like? I've got a few R3 discs that I'm not that impressed with.

I've not checked mine, it's still sealed. If I can find it tonight, I shall stick it on and check it out for you, mate.

The last offical Thai disc I bought--THE BACKWOODS--was absolutely fine.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Pollanet

« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar 2008 - 10:38 »

there also 2 other nice recent crime movies, both located around Bari (if you follow football Bari is the same city of italian player Antonio Cassano......)

the first one is Mio cognato, it's out in DVD but I don't know if there is also an english version

the second one is La capagira, a little but really great indie movie, I think it's unreleased on DVD but you could easily find it in sharing

seems to remember that it has italian subs because is all in Bari's slang, very difficult to understand also for an italian  ;D

but i enjoy it very much

Pollanet

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2008 - 12:06 »

another recent italian crime movie that I like is Piazza delle cinque lune, about Sequestro Moro, yesterday was the 30th aniversary

the leading actor is Donald Sutherland, so perhaps there is also an international edition

the first part of the movie is very good IMO, also interesting some hypothesis

Pollanet

« Reply #23 on: 02 Jan 2009 - 08:28 »

now in Italy Sky sat channel is broadcasting 'Romanzo Criminale the serie', more than 10 episodes of about 1 hour

the actors are less famous (in Italy) of the actors of the movie, but some characters are better, the story is very similar to the book, more 'slow' but most powerful to understand the escalation of the gang...

Pollanet

« Reply #24 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 09:14 »

yesterday night I saw the last 2 parts of Romanzo Criminale - la serie

really a great great tv serie, the best thing I saw on tv since a lot of years... maybe better than the movie, almost all characters (il Libanese, il Dandy, Patrizia, Bufalo, Scrocchiazeppi,...) grow in the serie a in very good way

director Sollima (son of Sergio...) has a great feeling with action

in Italy this serie has a good success, and seems that another serie will be

I hope for you that Sky Italy could realize an english version...

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #25 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 09:20 »

Wow. Sounds great Pola. I can't think of any recent Italian TV series or TV movies that have been released in the UK, so the chances of it getting seen here are very slim indeed.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #26 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 09:40 »

I can't think of any recent Italian TV series or TV movies that have been released in the UK, so the chances of it getting seen here are very slim indeed.

Soavi's UNO BIANCA had an English subtitled DVD release by NoShame US, so there is a glimmer of hope for an English friendly DVD release of Romanzo Criminale series.

Pollanet

« Reply #27 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 10:21 »

i enjoyed very much Uno Bianca, but IMO it's not so good

'generalist' channels in Italy (but probably also in UK) need famous actors for prime time and they can't show too cruel situations

i hate Sky so much because his money is killing the football in italy... but I have to say that they can have a great freedom in all ways working about a serie

the actors of the serie are (were) not famous but all good and from Rome, 12 parts are a lot and they cover only an half of the original book but the violent escalation of Banda della Magliana is fully respected, I think they had a good budget and they used it very well to re-build Rome around 70's-80's more than paying cachets for famous actors... I think generalist channels can't do it

Sky is an international network, perhaps could decide to sub the italian version... also dialogues are very good, Giancarlo De Cataldo (the writer of the book) and Michele Placido (the director of the movie) worked about the serie

these are the open credits.. also score is fine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHSDZeU984

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #28 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 17:15 »

Sky is an international network, perhaps could decide to sub the italian version.
Fingers crossed they do as it looks amazing,about time we had something like this on UK sat especially now that the superb UNDERBELLY on FX has finished.
Thanks for posting Polla.  :P

Paul Hutchings

« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2009 - 07:56 »

I agree with what others have said about ROMANZO CRIMINALE being one of the best Italian crime movies of recent times. I like the structure of the film – I'm a sucker for crime films that begin with mischievous kids that we see turn into hardened criminals as they get older. Just lately there have been some worthy crime films from Italy and it bodes well for the genre's future I think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.