• 19 Oct 2020 - 21:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonny and Jed (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)  (Read 3022 times)

The Hunchback

Sonny and Jed (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)
« on: 07 Jul 2007 - 08:27 »

Review for

"Sonny and Jed"

Corbucci's lesser spag westerns are no where near as good as his classics (Django, Hellbenders, Companeros, Great Silence, Mercenary) but they are always well made and entertaining films.
"Sonny and Jed" is no exception.

Corbucci must have been inspired by the film "Bonnie and Clyde" when making/writing "Sonny and Jed". The names of the two protagonists are similar and even the plot line loosely follows the 1967 classic crime/romance film. Crminal meets girl, girl falls for criminal, girl marries criminal, girl follows criminal into a life of crime (you know, that old chestnut).

As Jed (played with frenetic delight by Tomas Milain) and Sonny ravage the countryside robbing banks and plundering stagecoaches they are pursued by sadistic sheriff Franciscus (Telly Savalas) and his posse of unsavory "lawmen".

Unlike Corbucci's other westerns, action sequences kinda take a back seat this time. Riding shotgun is mostly comedy (of the vulgar kind). However there is something more interesting thrown into the mix...the focus of a dysfunctional relationship between the two love birds of crime. It does'nt dwelve deep into it (it is'nt a Godard film ) but there is certainly something there to see that makes for an interesting watch.
In fact some of the best scenes focus on their Love/Hate relationship. There is even a few sweet moments between the two (of one particular note: Sonny admiting to Jed she loves him).

The brutal violence (rape, sadism etc. etc.) that accompanies all of Corbucci's westerns is indeed to be found here but in small doses. Corbucci's new "toy" is vulgarity. The F-bomb (along with it's close cousin mister "S-word") is dropped at least 20 times during the proceedings. In fact most all the nasty words under the sun are to be found in "Sonny and Jed".
Not that it enhances the film at all but just a side note for you vulgarians out there.

Actors:
Tomas Milain as Jed is wonderful. He has all those rodent like qualities that we come to love in Milians comedic roles. It is hard to imagine the film without him. He handles the relationship aspect of the movie very well. Though Jed is usually nasty towards his wife he is very dependent on her.

Some may find Susan George annoying as the whiny tom-boy Sonny, however I found her to be very cute. She very much plays a naive little girl in this film even though at this time she must have been in her 20's (she just came off Peckinpah's "Straw Dogs"). It is obvious her character is only infatuated with Jed, infatuated with his ideals towards life etc. etc. she worships him...she does'nt love him. But she believes she does. Which makes her so cute to watch.

Telly Savalas does a decent job in his role as the nasty sheriff Franciscus. He comes off as a threatening figure which our heroes should stay away from at all times. However there comes a time in the film where Franciscus becomes blind from a run in with Jed...after that he is not really that threatening of a character.
I think this character would have benefited greatly with Jack Palance in the role since he did a stupendous job with his other two villian roles in other Corbucci films. Ah well.

The music: Finally! a non-stellar morricone soundtrack  ::)
The main theme is faintly memorable after intial viewing but the rest of the soundtrack is forgettable.

Overall good stuff. one of Corbucci's weakest westerns...
But then again...I have'nt seen "The white, the yellow and the black" which I hear is astrocious.
But Honestly...I would recommend this very entertaining film to anybody.

TRIVIA!

Corbucci had Rodney Dangerfield in mind for the role of Jed before Milain showed interest in the project.

LANZETTA

Re: Sonny and Jed (Sergio Corbucci, 1972)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 13:36 »

Yes i enjoyed SONNY & JED but theres something lacking about it to compel me to watch it a second time in a hurry.I'm a huge Milian fan and i'm also quite keen on Telly Savalas but maybe theres not quite enough fireworks going on here.

The Morricone score is ok,derivative of his other better scores from that period ie DUCK YOU SUCKER, but nowhere near varied enough.

Yes HUNCHBACK,take your time before watching THE WHITE<THE YELLOW & THE BLACK.Its pretty bad. 

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 15:12 »

Yes HUNCHBACK,take your time before watching THE WHITE<THE YELLOW & THE BLACK.Its pretty bad. 

While it's not anywhere in the league of Corbucci's best films, THE WHITE, THE YELLOW AND THE BLACK is great fun, IMO.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

LANZETTA

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 22:04 »

Tomas Milians samurai character is a bit cringeworthy dontcha think?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 10:16 »

Massively so, as I mentioned in another thread, it's boarderline racist, but the film was made in a different time and don't think it was meant to be offensive.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 23:10 »

Massively so, as I mentioned in another thread, it's boarderline racist, but the film was made in a different time and don't think it was meant to be offensive.

Ah, I feel the same way. I've only seen about 15 minutes of it and found it incredible racist but as you said...another time entirely.

LANZETTA

« Reply #6 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 22:16 »

Unpolitical correctness was not all that bad. :-*

Nowadays i can't ever see a remake of STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER being made somehow. ;D

Bogan The Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2009 - 10:27 »

Haven't even finished watching it yet but I just got a nice 16x9 fandub of this (SONNY AND JED) which looks just great.   :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.