• 13 Nov 2019 - 01:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Venus in Furs / Le malizie di Venere (Massimo Dallamano, 1969)  (Read 11282 times)

fdsmedia

I just received the Italian DVD, maybe we could compare length and image quality if someone has got the Shameless DVD and can post some screens?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Paul has the Shameless DVD, not sure if he knows how to do screen caps though...
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

fdsmedia

The feature on the Italian DVD is 80 min and 33 s excluding the Surf Films intro.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films

The cut Redemption VHS was 81m 2s.

Venus in Furs (Redemption)

Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

fdsmedia

Bugger, the Italian DVD seems to contain a 1975 re-edit of the film. Anyone know what's different?

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films

I know the English and German version s had different endings.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

Bugger, the Italian DVD seems to contain a 1975 re-edit of the film. Anyone know what's different?

I've only seen the English version (a DVDR of the fullscreen Japanese disc) but the original Italian version should be titled MALAZIE DE VENERE (the title of the soundtrack album) - there's a really expensive Italian tape under that title on eBay.

I thought someone on another board mentioned Arthaus/Kinowelt preparing a version.

Is the Italian disc 16:9?

JoseADiego

• Special Cop In Action

fdsmedia

Is the Italian disc 16:9?
Yes, it is.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

Here's my review of the new Shameless disc:

Adapted from the novel by Leopold Von Sacher-Masoch, VENUS IN FURS is the story of a couple and the lengths in which they're prepared to sustain an increasingly dangerous, sadomasochistic relationship...

Severin (Regis Vallee) is a man afflicted with a deeply-rooted fetish; he's a peeping tom and has become increasingly obsessed with Wanda (Laura Antonelli): a sexually promiscuous woman whose casual sexual encounters he spies through a wall. Wanda epitomises Regis' ultimate fantasy; a dominating, sexually liberated woman in fur, and would appear to share more than a passing resemblance to a woman who he was caught spying on as a child: a woman who—within a space of one night--awoke oedipal stirrings and savagely humiliated him.

Severin and Wanda strike up what would at first appear to be an unlikely relationship and it's not long before the couple are acting-out Severin's deepest and darkest desires. Wanda agrees to marry the wealthy Severin and that she will continue to seek out sex with other men under the condition that her husband-to-be is allowed to watch. Although it pains Severin to see Wanda with other men, he has become addicted to the humiliation and before long this very unconventional union begins to spiral out of control...

VENUS IN FURS is a wicked slice of classic Euro sleaze, featuring oodles of the lovely Laura's naked flesh, tremendous use of fabulous Spanish locations and a typically infectious Gianfranco Reverberi score. While at times some of the couple's antics inspire guffaws, the characterisations are also though-provoking, with Antonelli and Vallee comfortably occupying their roles. Whether Roman Polanski has seen Dallamano's film or read the Sacher-Masoch novel, it's obvious that he (or novelist Pascal Bruckner, for that matter) is familiar with this material, as there's more than an echo of VENUS IN FURS in his 1992 film, BITTER MOON.

Shameless' disc clocks in at 82:06, suffering some cuts by the BBFC: the scene in question is that of a sexual assault culminating in the depiction of the victim enjoying her experience. Kudos to Shameless, as they've edited the film in a way that does not jar as the scene simply fades to black--and speaking as someone that's not seen the film before--the cuts don't seem to detract from the enjoyment of the film at all. Shameless' disc is presented in anamorphic 2.35:1 and looks very good when you consider the age and obscurity of the film itself. Colours are reproduced well for the most part and there's little in the way of print damage. The sound is presented in Dolby Digital 2.0 and is well balanced and serves the English language dialogue and score well.

Having seen some of director Dallamano's other films (namely SOLANGE and WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS?), I wasn't quite sure to expect from VENUS IN FURS and although it didn't strike the same chord as DAUGHTERS—which is one of my all time favourite gialli—it certainly left a lasting impression.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Cool review Paul. I've never seen it and it sounds pretty good.

This'll be the film that The Velvet Underground based their song on then? "Shiny, shiny, Shiny boots of leather..."

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

fdsmedia

Let's hope that Severin (Films) will do a release with both versions.  :D

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

Cool review Paul. I've never seen it and it sounds pretty good.

This'll be the film that The Velvet Underground based their song on then? "Shiny, shiny, Shiny boots of leather..."

Thanks, mate - I really enjoyed it and glad I took the trouble of watching it last night.

Not to sure about the Velvet Underground connection, though I do know the song you mention...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

The song's called 'Venus in Furs'  :D

Here's the lyrics...

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girlchild in the dark
Clubs and bells, your servant, dont forsake him
Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart

Downy sins of streetlight fancies
Chase the costumes she shall wear
Ermine furs adorn the imperious
Severin, severin awaits you there

I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears

Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather
Shiny leather in the dark
Tongue of thongs, the belt that does await you

Severin, Severin, speak so slightly
Severin, down on your bended knee
Taste the whip, in love not given lightly
Taste the whip, now plead for me

I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girlchild in the dark
Severin, your servant comes in bells, please dont forsake him

fdsmedia

I think they based the song on the novel by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.