• 15 Dec 2017 - 18:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye in the Labyrinth / L'occhio nel labirinto (Mario Caiano ,1971)  (Read 37024 times)

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

I've already posted this review at Latarnia but I thought I would also try to stimulate some discussion of this film here as well including some information on other releases.

“… a labyrinth is built to bewilder the mind of man. Its architecture, however rich in symmetries it may be, is subordinate to that end.” - J. L. Borges

After an onscreen quotation from Borges, NIGHTMARE CASTLE director Mario Caino’s EYE IN THE LABYRINTH opens with psychiatrist Lucas (Horst Frank; CAT O’NINE TAILS and THE DEAD ARE ALIVE) being chased by a knife-wielding killer through a labyrinth (actually, it seems like a parking structure framed and lit so that its angles suggest a maze) and being stabbed to death. This, of course, is a dream of our protagonist Julie (Rosemary Dexter; Jess Franco’s original choice for the lead of JUSTINE before Romina Power was imposed on the production) who goes to a psychiatric clinic the next day to discover that her boyfriend Lucas hasn’t turned up. She goes to his apartment and gets roughed up by a thug also looking for Lucas. Among his scattered papers, Julie finds the name of a seaside village and travels there looking for him. She shows his photograph to a couple of the locals and a strange man leads her to a dilapidated house where her purse is stolen and she is almost killed. She escapes and runs into the arms of Frank (Adolfo Celi; WHO SAW HER DIE?) who also recovers her purse (the photograph is missing, of course). He advises her that if her friend has been to the village, he most likely went to the villa of eccentric millionaire Gerta (Alida Valli) which he makes sound like a brothel but actually turns out to be more of an artist colony which Julie swims to naked when her clothes are stolen on the beach. None of the people there – a composer who makes music out of recorded sounds and conversations, a pair of actors who have to argue before they can have sex, Gerta’s younger gigolo, Louis – claim to have seen Lucas but Julie stumbles upon a pair of clues: a rare book she gave to him on Gerta’s shelf and a photograph of his hand taken by one of the guests. With Frank’s help, she discovers that Lucas had in fact been there and was not the man she thought him to be. The composer says that Lucas tormented him, getting him to confess his incarceration in an asylum to the group. The photographer says that Lucas raped her; knowing she was still a virgin. The acting couple claim Lucas spied on them and discovered a scandalous secret. Julie also learns from Gerta that Frank is an ex-gangster who used to own Gerta’s seaside mansion. Frank, meanwhile, uses a painting portraying Lucas’ murder – painted by Saro, slow young man who doesn’t have the mental capacity to invent; he can only copy what he sees before them – to be able to move back in (he had previously had a room in the village’s old orphanage). Julie attempts to get Saro to speak by taking him with her to the police but gets in an accident (her vision occluded while driving by flashes of a labyrinth spiraling around an eye) and she manages to get him killed by lighting a cigarette and tossing the match over her shoulder without realizing that her just-crashed car is spewing petrol! On the beach, Julie discovers Lucas’ bloody shirt and is nearly killed by a spear gun from a passing speedboat. Julie finds out from Louis that Gerta is really a drug trader and the actors and artists inhabiting the villa are her dealers including Lucas. When Lucas’ headless body is fished out of the water – triggering more labyrinth flashes for Julie – Gerta and the others turn against Julie. It is only through the intervention of Louis that Julie is able to escape, costing him his life. Frank sees Julie’s car speeding away and returns to Gerta’s villa and after taking his cut of the profits tells her and her crew to get away from the villa before the police arrive; little do they know that Julie didn’t make it to the police station and is tied up in the cellar. Frank has special plans for her that includes revealing who really killed Lucas if she doesn’t discover it herself first.

Other than the opening Borges quote – which should be somewhat of a hint as to the killer’s identity before it becomes painfully apparent – director Mario Caino (NIGHTMARE CASTLE, SHADOW OF ILLUSION) unfortunately injects little energy into this potentially interesting giallo. Although there are some nice sun-drenched seaside exteriors, the cinematography is rather bland, dependent on zooms into the faces of suspicious characters and wide angles and solarized colors to suggest delirium along with the indistinct flashes of the labyrinth spiraling around the eye. The script itself is interesting and manages to neatly justify some of its more glaring contrivances. On the other hand, the flashbacks are redundantly narrated (it might have been more interesting if what was said and what was seen were different). Sadly, what starts out as a potentially interesting puzzle film like Luigi Bazzoni's FOOTPRINTS or a conspiracy giallo like ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK, defaults to the labored "PSYCHO" explanation/resolution.  Celi and Valli are always welcome faces in a giallo and are very effective. A pre-Hollywood Sybil Danning is on hand as one of the red herring suspects but does not really stand out. Lead Rosemary Dexter is dubbed by the same voice actress who dubbed Jane Birkin in SEVEN DEATHS IN A CAT’S EYE but is rather bland which is perhaps why it took me several sittings to get through the entire film. As a dead man known only through flashbacks, Horst Frank (like Danning, a German co-production contribution) gets by mainly on his looks since he gets barely a word of dialogue. Mario Bava’s composer on BLACK SUNDAY, THE EVIL EYE, and BLACK SABBATH Roberto Nicolosi provides a generally uninteresting jazz score (though there’s some nicely atmospheric bass if you turn on your subwoofer). Bava actor Franco Ressel is also on hand as one of the suspects.

The only English friendly release I am aware of is the long out-of-print Swedish-subtitled PAL VHS from Filmex which is cropped from I’m guessing 1.85:1 and is in faded condition with washed out detail and bleached whites that make the end credits impossible to read since the freeze-frame is facing the sky in the background.* It is interesting to note that the end credits do list the musicians who performed the score and their instruments. This version seems to be the grey market print of choice. I think ETC has it on DVDR.

*Thanks to gialloboy’s exhaustive schrackfilm forum posting of his giallo collection for the name of the Swedish VHS distributor and thanks to Thuri for the trade.

Stephen Grimes

Good enjoyable giallo with a cool cast(including a very young looking Benjamin Lev from YOUNG VIOLENT DANGEROUS) ,i have a dvd-r of the old lbx Danish tape on Filmlab.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Cool write up Eric, haven't watched it for a few years now but do remember enjoying it. I'll have to revisit it soon now.

I have a copy of the Filmlab VHS too, not a bad print though it's a bit washed out during the sunny outdoors scenes.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever

I own that old Danish VHS and I'm very happy with it. I also quite like the film itself even though I haven't seen it in a while. I found it to be a stylish and very interesting Freudian giallo with some good twists and superb cast. Adolfo Celi is always a welcome face, and I really enjoyed Alida Valli here. In most of her other 70s genre efforts, played sinister and unflattering-looking characters but here she gets to play the part of an attractive older woman - showing that she was actually still a very good-looking woman. It's also interesting to see Sybil Danning here as she looks much the same like she did in her later US films (only younger of course), whereas in THE RED QUEEN KILLS SEVEN TIMES (made not long after this one) she looks totally different.
Gorgeous leading lady Rosemary Dexter is an interesting actress. She was sometimes also credited as Rosemarie Dexter and I thought for a while that she might be a German actress but I've seen it suggested that she is in fact British.

Oh, and the woman who dubs Rosemary Dexter here, and Jane Birkin in SEVEN DEATHS IN A CAT'S EYE, is Silvia Faver. Very recognizable voice actress who I really like. I'm believe she also dubbed Dagmar Lassander in FORBIDDEN PHOTOS OF A LADY ABOVE SUSPICION, Shirley Corrigan in THE CRIMES OF THE BLACK CAT, Edwige Fenech in ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK and THE CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS, Tina Aumont in TORSO, Cristina Galbo in LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE, Solvi Stubing in STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER, Daniela Poggi in GESTAPO'S LAST ORGY, Vera Krouska in DEATH STEPS IN THE DARK, Macha Magall in SS GIRLS, Stefania Casini in SUSPIRIA, Anne Heywood in RING OF DARKNESS, Paola Senatore in EATEN ALIVE, Gisela Hahn in CONTAMINATION, Françoise Blanchard in CALIGULA AND MESSALINA, Enrica Saltutti in HELL PENITENTIARY and of course numerous others.

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action

It's a good while since I saw this but I remember enjoying it a lot. I especially like the Bitches Brew-style trumpet playing on the soundtrack... very cool. Very... jazz.

JoseADiego

• Special Cop In Action

I have an excellent copy of this Giallo.....It is one of my favorite ones...

Captures

WEB

http://psychotronickultvideo.blogspot.com/

SALE VIDEOS

http://videoguia.spaces.live.com/

Andrew Monroe

I have an excellent copy of this Giallo.....It is one of my favorite ones...

It`s one of my favorites too. Rosemary Dexter is a real stunner and she looks great in a bikini in this film. I have a decent looking dvd-r of the Dutch tape, bit washed out looking. I wouldn`t mind getting a copy of Roberto Nicolosi`s score one day.

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action

Does anyone know if a widescreen English dub is available? And does anyone have any idea why it hasn't been released properly when it regularly seems to crop up on most favourite gialli lists?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Eugene, the Danish letterboxed VHS release that I posted screen grabs from is dubbed into English.  :'(
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action

Sorry... I meant dubbed, but without subtitles...

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

haha! OK, I get you! I'm thinking the best way to achieve this would be to get a copy of the lbx Spanish VHS and dub it. I'm assuming the Spanish one is dubbed into Spanish...

JoseADiego

• Special Cop In Action

Yes Jonny, this in Spanish.... :-\

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Jose, those grabs you posted look a bit squished mate. Is that to do with how you made the grabs or is that how the VHS looks on screen?

They should look like this...

EDIT: Jose PM'd me to say that it is indeed the capture software that squished the images. Cheers Jose  :'(

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action

An English dub of the Spanish VHS would be fantastic but it isn't something that I feel I could attempt myself at this point - I wouldn't know where to start...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.