• 06 Apr 2020 - 20:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ashes To Ashes (2008-2010)  (Read 15075 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Ashes To Ashes (2008)
« Reply #15 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:08 »

Well, what did everyone else make of the first episode?

SOME SPOILERS:

Okay, I really wasn't sure what I was going to make of the new series; LIFE ON MARS was a brilliant show but ultimately self-contained and the prospect of a follow-up series really stank of being a cash-in. Knowing that the events of LIFE ON MARS were all but a figment of Sam Tyler's comatose mind didn't lend to the concept of a sequel featuring a new central character, IMHO...

So, ASHES TO ASHES begins with our new point of focus—DI Alex Drake (the gorgeous Keeley Hawes) doing the school run with her daughter when she's called to a hostage situation—which at only three minutes in, invites the audience to suspend its disbelief incredibly: not good—and within minutes is shot, left for dead and before you can hum the opening bars to a Bowie track, Drake awakes in 1981, dressed in an outfit that would do Cleopatra Jones proud. Within seconds, Drake finds herself becoming a hostage once again, though this time Gene Hunt and the boys are on hand to rescue her.

After being mistaken for a prostitute and affectionately named "Bolly Knickers" by hunt, it transpires that Scotland Yard had been expecting Drake and it isn't long before she's joining the boys on a mission to bring down London's biggest supplier of cocaine and heroin.

So, after a somewhat shaky start, ASHES TO ASHES settles into what we have come to expect from LIFE OIN MARS; a fish-out-of-water at odds with Gene Hunt and their new surroundings but the writers haven't been complacent. Rather than rehashing the premise of LIFE ON MARS, they've given an already post-modern concept a post-modern twist: Drake had been investigating Sam Tyler's case back in the present, so she understands the mechanics of her situation and is constantly trying to second-guess what's going to happen, rather than being completely bemused by the situation as Tyler had been. The benefit of hindsight is definitely the key factor of what is going to keep ASHES TO ASHES fresh. That and the fact it's set in the 80s...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #16 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:13 »

I wrote the above before I read Jonny and Marc's comments; glad you liked it fellas. I have a feeling that the series is going to be great; It became clear pretty early on that there was going to be enough intrigue (who was Layton talking to on the phone in 2008? Who killed Drake's parents in 1981? What's the significance of the Bowie-like clown and the flashbacks to Drake as a child? There are plenty of enigmas to keep us coming back for more.

Marc; I really liked the inclusion of Zippy and George. Usually, the site of them evokes some childhood feeling of contentment and safety but the characters were used in such a sinister way.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #17 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:14 »

Well, what did everyone else make of the first episode?

I was hesitant at first and though it wasn't spot on I did enjoy it a lot, laughed out loud a couple of times...

"You in leather, holding that... gives me the horn"

Thinking about it this morning I'm liking it more and more the Alex Drake character is good, she's warming up to be quite a funny character, I loved the bit where she was rattling on about that drug baron being her 'Destiny' and suddenly realised what an arse she was sounding. Great stuff, hopefully it'll all find it's feet and keep on getting better and better.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #18 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:27 »

I was a bit concerned about how Keeley Hawes would be playing Drake after seeing the trailer – the scene that had stuck in my mind from that was the one in which she recants the names of Hunt and his men before fainting and it looked terrible. I must say, she was great though... and really rather lovely.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #19 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:32 »

I thought she was really nice too. The scene where she walks into Luigi's and Roxy Music is playing was just great!
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #20 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:40 »

She doesn't really do it for me - sorry chaps. Must be that dodgy barnet.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #21 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:42 »

If she overdosed on eye-liner and had a funny hair cut, you'd fucking love her, Marc.  :-\

Mart85

« Reply #22 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 14:03 »

I enjoyed it.  Though I weren't too sure at first as the new woman grated on me a bit but as soon as Gene and the gang turned up in the Quattro I was happy.  :-\

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #23 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 15:04 »

I probably gonna get rinsed for this but i haven't even seen LIFE ON MARS  (Well i did see one random episode once from the second series).

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #24 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 15:08 »

You'd love it. Gene Hunt is like an Anglicised Maurizio Merli. Only more sexist and homophobic.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #25 on: 06 Mar 2008 - 21:25 »

So how's this one going so far for anyone who's been following it?

Not outstanding like 'Life On Mars' was so far for me... Entertaining? Yes. I like watching it.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #26 on: 06 Mar 2008 - 21:44 »

So how's this one going so far for anyone who's been following it?

Not outstanding like 'Life On Mars' was so far for me... Entertaining? Yes. I like watching it.

That's exactly how I feel, mate. It's enjoyable but not great. Would be a damn site worse without Glenister in it though.

Mart85

« Reply #27 on: 07 Mar 2008 - 13:24 »

Yeah same for me.  I'm enjoying it but it doesn't touch LIFE ON MARS.

Pear Head

« Reply #28 on: 07 Mar 2008 - 13:49 »

Last nights show was the best of the series without a doubt in my mind. It was funny seeing Ray pretending to be a bear!!!!!!!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2008 - 21:23 »

Only missed one episode of the series and liked what I saw though I didn't feel a whole hearted love for the show like I did with 'Life On Mars' - damn I LOVED that show!!!

You know what? After tonight's final episode of 'Ashes To Ashes' I actually felt some love, not the same love I felt for 'Life On Mars' but love all the same... Something gelled after seeing tonight's final episode.

I can't wait for the DVD boxset of series 1 of 'Ashes To Ashes'...

Damn, another year to wait for series 2...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 35 queries.