• 27 May 2019 - 00:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SPAGHETTI-HEROES: DJANGO - SARTANA - RINGO book  (Read 6616 times)

Andrew Monroe

Re: SPAGHETTI-HEROES: DJANGO - SARTANA - RINGO book
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jun 2008 - 19:50 »

PS - MPW also has a nifty looking book on cannibal films, even more crazy expensive than the sw tome. Thankfully this one is German text only so I`ve been able to fight off the temptation so far. Over 1000 photos though, you know this one`s a stunner too.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/cannibal-movie-chronicle-book-limited-edition-p-14045.html

Gary B.

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2008 - 06:43 »

Anyone else get this book? The price is a bit high but I was too curious. It`s an obvious labour of love, enthusiastic reviews of the various Ringo/Sartana/Django films and gorgeously illustrated with lots and lots of posters/lobby cards/stills etc. This really is a well-designed book, it`s probably even more glossy than the Glittering Images trilogy. The reviews aren`t scholarly or anything, more along the lines of well written, thoughtful commentary from an enthusiastic fan - and I think it works fine here. It`s of particular interest to read a German perspective on these films (as I`m sure many know, an ass-load of unrelated sw were retitled in Germany to be Django films), for instance I learned that when doing the German dubbing for them lots of corny jokes and puns were put in the dialogue, even if it was outrageously inappropriate for the film. It`s amazing how many films were retitled as Django movies - GENTLEMAN KILLER and MASSACRE TIME for example! I don`t always agree with the author`s opinions naturally - he absolutlely hates REQUIEM FOR A GRINGO (or FOR DJANGO in Germany!), an offbeat sw I`m really fond of, but that`s okay it`s still a fun read. The dvd had A GUN FOR 100 GRAVES (English audio) and VENGEANCE (German audio only for this one), I already had both but the book was still worth it.

Thanks for the info, Andrew.  With the steep price tag I was wondering the content before purchasing.  Is it hardcover/with color pictures? 

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2008 - 14:45 »

Thanks for the info, Andrew.  With the steep price tag I was wondering the content before purchasing.  Is it hardcover/with color pictures? 

Gary, yeah it`s a hardcover and 98% of the pictures are in color. There`s a whole bunch of German posters and lobby cards I hadn`t seen before, many of the posters are full page too. There`s a massive amount of pictures in the book, it`s a classy work. The price is steep I know, but if you`re interested I think it`s well worth it. There`s a huge number of films reviewed in depth too, I`ve spent several evenings reading it. You get the oddly translated phrase here and there but overall it`s well-written (or translated). The author`s enthusiasm has made me pull out some films I hadn`t watched in ages.

Gary B.

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2008 - 15:40 »

Thanks!  Looks like I'll be grabbing this for sure with my next Xploited order.

K August

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2008 - 12:31 »

Anyone else get this book? The price is a bit high but I was too curious. It`s an obvious labour of love, enthusiastic reviews of the various Ringo/Sartana/Django films and gorgeously illustrated with lots and lots of posters/lobby cards/stills etc. This really is a well-designed book, it`s probably even more glossy than the Glittering Images trilogy. The reviews aren`t scholarly or anything, more along the lines of well written, thoughtful commentary from an enthusiastic fan - and I think it works fine here. It`s of particular interest to read a German perspective on these films (as I`m sure many know, an ass-load of unrelated sw were retitled in Germany to be Django films), for instance I learned that when doing the German dubbing for them lots of corny jokes and puns were put in the dialogue, even if it was outrageously inappropriate for the film. It`s amazing how many films were retitled as Django movies - GENTLEMAN KILLER and MASSACRE TIME for example! I don`t always agree with the author`s opinions naturally - he absolutlely hates REQUIEM FOR A GRINGO (or FOR DJANGO in Germany!), an offbeat sw I`m really fond of, but that`s okay it`s still a fun read. The dvd had A GUN FOR 100 GRAVES (English audio) and VENGEANCE (German audio only for this one), I already had both but the book was still worth it.

thanks for the thorough review Andrew. I'm going to pass: way too much money for me.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2008 - 12:33 »

Anyone know of somewhere that takes paypal without waiting?

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Gary B.

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2008 - 15:59 »

My copy just arrived today, and it looks great!  Here are some photos for those who are wondering what it looks like.  (The first picture has a DVD next to it for scale)

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2008 - 16:04 »

Fair play, that looks lovely. It looks like it's the Spaghetti Western equivalent of Tim Lucas' Bava book.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Gary B.

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2008 - 20:57 »

Finally got the DVD case for the bonus disc that comes with the book.  Here's what it looks like (just scanned it for dvdaf):

It's a smaller 'German style' dvd case, not like the giant limited edition ones, but the same size as a normal dvd case.  Looks pretty cool with the blue letters on white background.  I had to contact the company by email to order, and they only take credit card...no paypal.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2008 - 21:01 »

Shit, i forgot all about this ???

Mart85

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2008 - 18:33 »

Looks sweet. Thanks for posting the pics Gary.  ::)

K August

« Reply #26 on: 04 Aug 2008 - 22:56 »

Thanks for posting Gary. Looks wonderful.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #27 on: 04 Aug 2008 - 23:32 »

Really tempted to pick this up now, thanks to your pics Gary.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #28 on: 04 Aug 2008 - 23:42 »

Mine is ordered now, just waiting on it.

Canisius

« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2009 - 21:36 »

The pics look interesting, maybe I'll get myself a copy, too!
But somehow I doubt that it can bring sth. new to the table because there are 2 superb German books on Spaghettis:

-"Für ein paar Leichen mehr" by Ulrich P. Bruckner
-"Willkommen in der Hölle" by Christian Kessler

Both essential I'd say! :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.