• 14 Apr 2021 - 10:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave (Emilio Miraglia, 1971)  (Read 6099 times)

The Hunchback

Decent giallo picture starring, two spaghetti western veterans, Anthony Steffen and italian hottie Erica Blanc.

Steffen plays Lord Alan Cunningham who is a rich english aristocrat who owns a large decaying castle.
Cunningham's wife, Evelyn, died during child birth some years ago and it has effected Alan's mind. Alan frequently has "visits" from Evelyn from beyond the grave accompanied by a flashback of Evelyn sleeping with another man (face is hidden throughout) which allegedly happened before her demise.
All these paranormal visitations and bad memories effect Alan's mind so much that he has picked up unhealthy habits...

He picks up hookers and whisks them away to his castle to torture and eventually kill them. It's lead to believe this is a form of therapy for Alan. However after the first twenty minutes this is never touched upon a again because Alan's character radically, and illogically, changes to a kind and loving man after meeting "the right girl".
"Mrs. Right" comes in the form of Glady's (Marina Malfatti), a mysterious woman he nabs at a party. The two quickly marry and move into Alan's foreboding castle with a few of his relatives and friends.
Evelyn's ghostly visits increase during the couple's honeymoon and members of Cunningham's staff and family mysteriously begin to be murdered one by one.
The ending is a predictable. As in any Giallo, principle characters of the cast turn out to be less than honorable and there is the expected comeuppance of the main baddie.
The ending also leaves a lot of unanswered questions which I won't give away here.

Bruno Nicolai makes a great soundtrack (one can say it's the best element about the film).

The dvd I viewed was put out by NOSHAME who have recently been putting out stunning editions of ITALO CRIME films.

The dvd includes a very candid interview with actress Erica Blanc where she discusses how the quality of movies have dropped in recent years and that star Steffen was apparently a very vain man.
"He was more vain than I am" she says comically "before every shot he would pull out his personal mirror and have a look at his face".

It's not an unwatchable movie but it has far too many mistakes for me to recommend it as a classic of the genre.
There are far better efforts like "Your vice is a locked room and only I have the key".

Rent "Evelyn" if you can.

Dorado

La notte che Evelyn uscì dalla tomba

This film is possible more of a horror film than it’s a Giallo, it stars Anthony Steffen Erica Blanc and Marian Malfatti.

It’s not as good as the directors other film “Red Queen kills 7 times” but it still has enough going for it to be an interesting film.
It has lots of gore, horror, graphic violence, lots of naked women of whom some are being whipped while being naked.
The film lacks a decent score though.

I have never been a big fan of Antonio de Teffe he has spoiled a lot of spaghetti westerns with his wooden acting IMO, but in this film he is pretty good. The same can be said about the rest of the crew and the plot is again as complex as is always the case with a Giallo.

To me it looks like Emilio P. Miraglia was very influenced by Mario Bava and Dario Argento and that shows in this film.

Recommended.

Mart85

I think THE NIGHT EVELYN CAME OUT OF THE GRAVE is a cool film and the best part about it is Erika Blanc's striptease out of the coffin.  8)

The Hunchback

I have never been a big fan of Antonio de Teffe he has spoiled a lot of spaghetti westerns with his wooden acting IMO, but in this film he is pretty good. The same can be said about the rest of the crew and the plot is again as complex as is always the case with a Giallo.

An actor's performance can't spoil a movie for me. At least no actor I have seen in an SW. Only the technical aspects can.

Steffen is an aquired taste and until just recently I would always dismiss him as being a second rate SW star.
Most of his movies are hopelessly average or just dry and dull oaters.
However he has a few hidden gems that I have seen as well as others I haven't.

check out these titles and you'll be a fan pretty quick I promise you...

APOCALYPSE JOE
ARRIVA SABATA!
COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF
NO ROOM TO DIE
W DJANGO
DJANGO THE BASTARD

Stephen Grimes

He was also in the crime thrillers KILLERS ARE OUR GUESTS which is excellent and Vari's LA PADRINA,enjoyable in both of these.

Dorado

An actor's performance can't spoil a movie for me. At least no actor I have seen in an SW. Only the technical aspects can.

Steffen is an aquired taste and until just recently I would always dismiss him as being a second rate SW star.
Most of his movies are hopelessly average or just dry and dull oaters.
However he has a few hidden gems that I have seen as well as others I haven't.

check out these titles and you'll be a fan pretty quick I promise you...

APOCALYPSE JOE
ARRIVA SABATA!
COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF
NO ROOM TO DIE
W DJANGO
DJANGO THE BASTARD

I have seen all of them except for “Arriva Sabata”, and 4 of them I have on DVD plus several other of his films.
That he directly spoils some of the films he is in might be a bit harsh, but IMO he seems very absent in a lot of his films.
 “No room to die” that you mention for instance is one such film, this film would have been a much better film with a stronger lead than de Teffe.

IL COMMISSARIO

W DJANGO really surprised me. Steffen seemed to be alive in this one and not one of Fulci's undead without the make-up.

The Hunchback

Steffen is at his best when alone against 50 some odd henchmen to shoot at.

Which is why I need to keep an eye out for ARIZONA COLT RETURNS :-X

IL COMMISSARIO

Then that awful movie SHANGO is right up your alley then!  :-\

IL COMMISSARIO

I'll be giving EVELYN...a view soon. When I was a kid, the poster caught my eye in a bootleg VHS catalog. I've been curious about it ever since.

The Hunchback

Then that awful movie SHANGO is right up your alley then!  :-\

Great! ::)

Stephen Grimes

EVELYN is very good,very 70's vibe and those mad uppercrust English accents are hilarious.

The Hunchback

Steffen gives a good performance as a tormented father in SEVEN DOLLARS TO KILL.

A shame the film is a total bore save the final 15 minutes where Steffen takes on Fernando Sancho with meat hooks ::) and later has to shoot it out with his own son.

Fray G

When I watched Django the Bastard I remember thinking that there were scenes which would have been better had you not seen Steffen's face. One I remember was a bit round a campfire where after a few hoods have been wasted they all leave the screen to try to find him and as they leave you can see Django's silhouette standing in the shadows behind. It looked really cool, but then they show the reveal of his face, when I thought it was more effective just as the shadow. That happens a few times in the movie. Great film though.

Fray G

POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR EVELYN

Oh yeah, and in Evelyn, is there any explanation why anyone would keep so much Sulphuric acid balanced precariously on the edge of a swimming pool? One of giallo's most ridiculous set pieces in my book, enjoyable all the same.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.