• 31 May 2020 - 13:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key (Sergio Martino, 1972)  (Read 32078 times)

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action

I totally appreciate where you're coming from, mate - business is business and yes, even the companies I mentioned are out to turn a profit but I do disagree with you about risk - some companies dip their toes into the pool of financially riskier fayre and others, like Arrow in particular, piggy-back off the work that those companies have done to establish the demand, hence they're a company that's brings to market titles that have had countless releases on DVD and Blu-ray in either the UK or the US - seldom do they go the extra mile by getting something out that's untried. The Boro box is an atypical example for Arrow BUT they took no risk as it was financed by the Kickstarter project.

If you look elsewhere companies such as Kino Lorber and Severin, Twilight Time, even our own 88 Films to a certain degree, go after titles that have never had DVD releases and are bringing them to Blu-ray. Kino, TT, Criterion, Severin, Mondo Macabro and Synapse are run by people whose passion for cinema is obvious - Arrow, the involvement of people like Marc Morris and Michael Brooke aside, just seems so disparate and almost ad hoc, like it's a constant, desperate cash grab rather than a way of bringing to market the pieces of something that fits together as a significant whole.

Agreed on all counts Paul, and I was a bit forgetful in my original post - It's hard not to look at Mondo Macabro (in particular) and say they're not taking risks and I suspect Severin may still have enough copies of 'Eagles Over London' to build a small garden shed.

My general vibe is that I've been dealing with businessmen/women first, for the most part, but yes - there are some out there taking risks.

As for Arrow, I wish they'd been a bit more open about 'Blood and Black Lace' and not stuck to their guns so much (neither side really knows who's right/wrong - and this was obvious from day one) - But beyond that I think they're doing okay. As you say, perhaps too many tired old re-releases of the same films but I blame the customers for that... if they didn't buy them then they wouldn't be re-releasing them.
"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

As you say, perhaps too many tired old re-releases of the same films, but I blame the customers for that... if they didn't buy them then they'd wouldn't be re-releasing them.

Very true.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

BAKA

• Anonymous Avenger

Couldn't disagree more. If Arrow are so concerned with making a quick buck, one would question the extents (and expense) they've gone to, to improve their technical presentations. It's amusing to see someone laud Kino for caring about these films, when often they're merely serviceable technical presentations with no investment into supplements (often despite a wealth of licensable content). Hell, if you want both versions of several Bava titles you'll need to fork out twice. If Arrow only care about making money, surely it's a more risky proposition investing in such vast amounts of extra content, and going to great lengths to headhunt industry leading talent? Can't help but find the 88 Films comments humorous too, considering how they've aped the Arrow model (and even their former cover designs for the Italian line). How diabolical some of the technical presentations are for their Italian line so far too.

You're hugely misinformed when it comes to the Boro set too, and completely wrong in your claims Arrow took no risk due to the KickStarter. The KickStarter was to restore one of the films. One. Arrow invested heavily in all of the other titles. Several times over the costs of the KickStarter, before they had even began kick-starting (if you will), according to Michael Brooke's posts on another forum. Your view also completely disregards the fact the KickStarter could have failed.

Considering how poorly Japanese titles have done in the past in the UK, the Yoshida set is undoubtedly a risk too. Third Window Films frequently struggles to stay afloat, and had to offload one of their titles they'd partly paid for recently. Eureka famously made a huge loss on their Naruse set. So if Arrow is out to make money, why have they been vocal about investing in Japanese licenses? Sure some of them have had a previous UK release, but more haven't.

Genuinely, just looking at their recent releases and upcoming slate, do people here actually believe that titles like Cemetery Without Crosses, Requiescant and The Tenderness of Wolves aren't risky propositions? Are these really titles a company looking purely to make money, would invest in?

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action

Pistols at dawn, sir?

:P

"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

BAKA

• Anonymous Avenger

Pistols at dawn, sir?

:P

Pistols? Pfft. Give me a pair of black gloves any day.

Seriously though, not trying to cause trouble or anything like that. Just felt the need to express my opinion, as I seem to be in a minority, and it's nice to debate / discuss. I've met a couple of the guys from Arrow at events and they all seem passionate about what they do. I genuinely don't think they could keep putting the right people in the right places for features etc, if they didn't know what they were doing or enjoy what they were doing. But of course it's all conjecture and opinion. They clearly listen to their customers and are actively trying to improve their product, considering how poor some of their early releases were. I think getting rid of Waddell was a plus too.

I'm not happy about needing to pick up Fulci's mediocre Black Cat to get Your Vice though. That's undoubtedly a move to boost sales. I gather there will be separate releases later, but no word if they'll include booklets or not, and I don't want to wait any longer for Your Vice.

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action

I think it's customary for any and all DVD companies to be grilled and skewered on forums at some point in time. I mean, what's the alternative? Talk about the films instead? Now that's just crazy!

For what it's worth I think they all do a good job - and any company that gets these films released should be supported to some extent. The problem is things only get exciting around here when they fuck something up... or announce something, that tends to get everyone rather frisky as well.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

There is a lot of negative sentiment online, way too much, in fact but I also think there's a lot of unworthy praise too among the fanboys and it's true what you say, a lot of the people online seem to gravitate towards releases rather than the films themselves. It goes back to what I was saying about Arrow not taking risks by bringing more obscure titles to market. They're technically proficient, have issued great versions of some of my favourites but they seldom step outside their comfort zone and go after something different. That's what annoys me - seeing reams of praise for them from the very vocal fanboys who are mostly silent about the work of companies like MM, Synapse, FilmArt, TT and CameraObscura.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

logboy

• Almost Human

There is a lot of negative sentiment online, way too much, in fact but I also think there's a lot of unworthy praise too among the fanboys and it's true what you say, a lot of the people online seem to gravitate towards releases rather than the films themselves. It goes back to what I was saying about Arrow not taking risks by bringing more obscure titles to market. They're technically proficient, have issued great versions of some of my favourites but they seldom step outside their comfort zone and go after something different. That's what annoys me - seeing reams of praise for them from the very vocal fanboys who are mostly silent about the work of companies like MM, Synapse, FilmArt, TT and CameraObscura.

gravitating towards releases seems to come from fear / difficulty of discussing film content, or widespread personal sense that it's not necessary due to predominantly buying films that aren't to be classed as blind buys. talk then heads towards aspects of presentation, packaging, extras, versions thereof ... and  dread to think what it's done to perception of films for future generations that in any way reference or rely upon the online forum for knowledge of what's out there, how to assess its relative value to distorted personal taste.

BAKA

• Anonymous Avenger

Agree wholeheartedly about the likes of Camera Obscura, Mondo Macabro and FilmArt. I only recently discovered some of FilmArt's releases were English friendly. I've since picked up a couple, and intend to pick up some more. Another label I'm hugely fond of is Vinegar Syndrome. Loving that they release so much stuff I've never heard of. It's amazing they seem to scan and restore most (if not all) of their releases in house. They put a lot of big labels to shame. I bought Night Of The Strangler recently from the product description alone.

Interracial baby-makers vs. insanely racist strangle-ragers in this southern-fried whodunnit hatewave. Everyone’s second favorite Monkee (Micky Dolenz) stars in Louisiana’s premier bloodletting blowout: Guns! Knives! Drowning! Venomous snakes! Absolutely zero strangling! It’s a sweat-soaked, sleazoid slay-ride through segregated ’70s slaughter!

Seriously, how can anyone resist that?

g053584398

• Almost Human

Agree wholeheartedly about the likes of Camera Obscura, Mondo Macabro and FilmArt. I only recently discovered some of FilmArt's releases were English friendly. I've since picked up a couple, and intend to pick up some more. Another label I'm hugely fond of is Vinegar Syndrome. Loving that they release so much stuff I've never heard of. It's amazing they seem to scan and restore most (if not all) of their releases in house. They put a lot of big labels to shame. I bought Night Of The Strangler recently from the product description alone.

Interracial baby-makers vs. insanely racist strangle-ragers in this southern-fried whodunnit hatewave. Everyone’s second favorite Monkee (Micky Dolenz) stars in Louisiana’s premier bloodletting blowout: Guns! Knives! Drowning! Venomous snakes! Absolutely zero strangling! It’s a sweat-soaked, sleazoid slay-ride through segregated ’70s slaughter!

I'm a big fan of Camera Obscura, Mondo Macabro and FilmArt as well; with Mondo probably my favourite.

Aye, Vinegar Syndrome sure know how to promote their releases! As you say, they are a very good label and the fact that they don't filter their transfers shames many other labels. If only Raro could be as consistent!

babybreese

• Special Cop In Action

I bought Night Of The Strangler recently from the product description alone.

I'd counter anyone who has seen the film already could easily resist  ;D
VS doesn't release a lot I want to add to my collection, but they are one of the best houses out there.

The whole phenomenon of customers who blindly support labels instead of actual individual film releases is a mystery to me, just glad I don't possess this particular metal defect ( I have plenty of others already  :-* )

g053584398

• Almost Human

I bought Night Of The Strangler recently from the product description alone.

I'd counter anyone who has seen the film already could easily resist  ;D
VS doesn't release a lot I want to add to my collection, but they are one of the best houses out there.

The whole phenomenon of customers who blindly support labels instead of actual individual film releases is a mystery to me, just glad I don't possess this particular metal defect ( I have plenty of others already  :-* )

I agree with you. I can't understand why some people purchase every release from a particular label, even if they are not bothered about certain films. Even though I love the labels mentioned above, I only buy the titles that I really want. Although Mondo Macabro is probably my favorite label I haven't got all of their titles because some of them, notably the Bollywood and Pakistani horror films, just don't appeal to me. I would say the same thing about hartbox and steel-tin releases as well. Each to their own though!

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action

I want this movie too, and also have no interest in that Fulci movie.

Funktion

• Special Cop In Action

logboy

• Almost Human

I want this movie too, and also have no interest in that Fulci movie.
Both movies will be released separately, without the 80 page book (which is the only exclusive content to the boxset)

... unfortunately, i've asked this Q of them and seen their facebook posts, and they've managed to contradict themselves on the possibility of individual releases.

the SCR boxset was supposed to be reissued on DVD-only, but this has never happened. my experience so far is that it's only happening when it happens, and any statement that says it definitely will has to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

i would have expected an outcry when the release was eventually revealed to be part of a related package, but arrow's announcement days seem to attract their hardcore fans and this keeps those that may be less than impressed at quite a distance.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 34 queries.