• 14 Aug 2020 - 11:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key (Sergio Martino, 1972)  (Read 34042 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

That's good Arrow is going to release the damn thing.  They always do a fantastic job with what they put out. 

Err, no they don't. Historically speaking they've been responsible for some catastrophic fuck ups - THE BEYOND (wrongly colour-timed intro), ZFE (missing footage), their original TENEBRAE (awful transfer), BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE (wrong aspect ratio).

in the past few years their QC has been far better and they've done some world class releases BUT they're still fucking things up periodically, just look at SHIVERS - given the nature of the releases you'd think that the experts who work for them would take more care or even KNOW how these things should be done - I guess 80-90% of their loyal following is either clueless or convince themselves that EVERYTHING is fantastic.

I still get a fair few of their releases but they are a fly-by-night company that's owned and managed by a bunch of contemptuous so-and-sos that cash-in on the hard work other labels have done to establish certain genres and subgenres.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

nibblepibbley

• Almost Human

The examples you cite are all historic and fairly well rectified or apologised-for. They are not fly-by-night as they've gone from strength to strength with no sign of that abating. Still it's nice to know you'll condescend to buying some of their releases, however much that must stick in your throat.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

I'm a film fan first and foremost, so it's the film that counts, not the label that issues them.

I'm not going to argue here but I will say that historically speaking they did wait until there was uproar before addressing issues with most of the fuck ups. Their record has gotten better of late, thanks, I'm assuming, to some of the freelancers who have produced the discs and supervised the transfers.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

strangedaysindeed

• One Just Man

I just pre-ordered this L.E. Arrow set along with the Deep Red 4k restoration.

For today only Amazon are offering £10 discount on a £50 order, code is BIGTHANKS
Seemed like a good time to place a pre-order for some of the expensive forthcoming L.E sets to save some cash. So I paid only £40 ish for both these.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

I'm waiting for the single film release of this, not interested in THE BLACK CAT.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

I'm waiting for the single film release of this, not interested in THE BLACK CAT.

Perfect way for them to screw fans for the largest amount of money like they did with the extortionately priced WITHNAIL AND I set.

...and it's a proper tenuous link between the two films as far as I'm concerned. They should have gone the whole hog and thrown TWO EVIL EYES in there too!  :-\

Longsden

• Special Cop In Action
  • Bastard Squad 666

This

logboy

• Almost Human

This

in a way, i was very surprised there wasn't an uproar about it being packed with another film by a different director. then i realised that i was probably in a minority, in that i don't collect the label - i only want to see 'your vice' for what it is. mind you, the label weren't clearly bothered when i asked about an individual release, as they contradicted themselves by answering differently to my Q both on Facebook and twitter - so ... this surely can't be healthy for business in the long run, because as soon as the collectors go, what else is their business model based upon?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

While there are many who seem to pull themselves to pieces over everything Arrow does the business itself has a very contemptuous stance on the very people who are in awe of it. It'll be interesting to see how long Arrow straddles the edge between being the darling of fanboydom and its whipping boy. At present the scales are tipping in Arrow's favour but fanboys are fickle.

I buy Arrow releases but cannot abide by them as a company - it's obvious that its sole motivation for releasing these films is to make a quick buck and cash-in on the hard work of companies who have spent years establishing a demand for the material. Want a comparison? Look at Synapse, Mondo Macabro, Blue Underground, Criterion and Twilight Time - these are companies that set trends and take risks. Arrow rides their coat tails constantly and only punts on sure bets for the most part and when it doesn't it ponces from its loyal fanbase via crowdfunding initiatives such as Indigogo and Kickstarter. Shocking when you consider that it has more than enough in its coffers to take the risk itself.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

While there are many who seem to pull themselves to pieces over everything Arrow does the business itself has a very contemptuous stance on the very people who are in awe of it. It'll be interesting to see how long Arrow straddles the edge between being the darling of fanboydom and its whipping boy. At present the scales are tipping in Arrow's favour but fanboys are fickle.

I buy Arrow releases but cannot abide by them as a company - it's obvious that its sole motivation for releasing these films is to make a quick buck and cash-in on the hard work of companies who have spent years establishing a demand for the material. Want a comparison? Look at Synapse, Mondo Macabro, Blue Underground, Criterion and Twilight Time - these are companies that set trends and take risks. Arrow rides their coat tails constantly and only punts on sure bets for the most part and when it doesn't it ponces from its loyal fanbase via crowdfunding initiatives such as Indigogo and Kickstarter. Shocking when you consider that it has more than enough in its coffers to take the risk itself.
::) Well said.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Russell22

• Special Cop In Action

Arrow can do no wrong in my eye  ;D ;D ;D

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Arrow can do no wrong in my eye  ;D ;D ;D

Just the kind of arse-lickery I'd expect from you, Mr. W.

And what happened to your other eye?

Longsden

• Special Cop In Action
  • Bastard Squad 666

:'(

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action

From my limited experience just about all these companies are in it to make a buck first and the films come second.

To be fair, that IS how businesses work so while it may sound harsh, that is exactly how they're supposed to operate. They're not set up as charities to help the poor film buff - they're money men/women making investments hoping to see a healthy (ish) return.

I've yet to see any company that takes risks. They have their market, they know roughly how many units 'x' film will shift, etc...

Companies take these "so-called" risks when the market is buoyant, as it is right now, but not because they think they're taking a gamble - They already know 'x' amount of people will buy anything they release so they either go looking for new titles or repackage titles that have already been released a million times over (but this time the greens are more green, etc)

It's actually a pretty good time right now - but the money comes first for all these companies. More money = more releases.

My only gripe is when a print that's 'slightly brighter' than the previous release is hailed as some sort of masterpiece of remastering.... giving us a million releases of the same film. Then they're just playing into the "triple-dip" fanboy mentality. In essence both the companies and their customers are at fault in this case. Still, what can you do? Fans love pouring on the praise for two extra pixels of grain... and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

I'm just waiting for 4K discs to pick up - then watch Bluray become the new Betamax and and all these debates will start up again.
"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

I totally appreciate where you're coming from, mate - business is business and yes, even the companies I mentioned are out to turn a profit but I do disagree with you about risk - some companies dip their toes into the pool of financially riskier fayre and others, like Arrow in particular, piggy-back off the work that those companies have done to establish the demand, hence they're a company that's brings to market titles that have had countless releases on DVD and Blu-ray in either the UK or the US - seldom do they go the extra mile by getting something out that's untried. The Boro box is an atypical example for Arrow BUT they took no risk as it was financed by the Kickstarter project.

If you look elsewhere companies such as Kino Lorber and Severin, Twilight Time, even our own 88 Films to a certain degree, go after titles that have never had DVD releases and are bringing them to Blu-ray. Kino, TT, Criterion, Severin, Mondo Macabro and Synapse are run by people whose passion for cinema is obvious - Arrow, the involvement of people like Marc Morris and Michael Brooke aside, just seems so disparate and almost ad hoc, like it's a constant, desperate cash grab rather than a way of bringing to market the pieces of something that fits together as a significant whole.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 20 queries.