• 08 Mar 2021 - 02:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: And Soon the Darkness (Robert Fuest, 1970)  (Read 9811 times)

fdsmedia

And Soon the Darkness (Robert Fuest, 1970)
« on: 07 Feb 2008 - 20:54 »

I just bought the new UK DVD of this underrated film, and I thought I should share some screens. It seems to be the same master as used on the Anchor Bay US disc:

Richard C

Re: And Soon the Darkness (Robert Fuest, 1970)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 07:48 »

Looks interesting. There's quite a few British films mentioned on this site that I need to get round to either renting or buying and this looks like one of them. Is this a new or old release? Thanks for the heads up either way.

fdsmedia

« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 08:29 »

It was released last week. Anchor Bay's R1 release has been out since 2002 though.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 08:47 »

It's probably the same transfer.  I've got Anchor Bay's version somewhere around here and I'm pretty sure it was licensed from Studio Canal.

mook

• Almost Human
« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 08:58 »

Got this through the post today - been looking forward to this. Also, a documentary called Cocaine Cowboys which looks pretty interesting.

fdsmedia

« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:00 »

Anchor Bay's cover artwork is horrible, though...  :o

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2008 - 09:17 »

I have the Anchor Bay disc and am happy enough with that. I though the film was excellent, underlined with a sense of imposing menace. It's a film where there appears to be not a lot going on, but there's a sinister atmosphere. I really dug the flick and would definitely recommend it to anyone that likes British thrillers of the 60s and 70s.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2008 - 03:36 »

I though the film was excellent, underlined with a sense of imposing menace.

I thought the sense of imposing menace, and doom, was what sets it apart from other horror and suspense films.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2008 - 07:21 »

I like Laurie Johnson's score.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2008 - 13:38 »

It's out on Italian disc as well:
http://www.kultvideo.com/scheda.asp?item=19263&type=DVD&key=2

The trailer on the linked Kult page is great. I'll get the UK release some point soon. I need to see this film!
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action
And Soon the Darkness (Robert Fuest, 1970)
« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2008 - 11:31 »

Pamela Franklin and Michele Dotrice star as two young British nurses on a bicycle tour in France. What starts out as a happy holiday trip turns into a tale of terror when one of the girls vanishes and the other has strange encounters with a mysterious man on a scooter, some weird local folks and a distrustful policeman.

AND SOON is a simple yet compelling little thriller that still has its merits almost 40 years after its release. The screenplay as well as Fuest's skillfull direction are definitely unique in that they try to avoid the common genre ingredients that all too often are used mindlessly as cheap techniques to create tension. Dusk, darkness, shadows, thunderstorms, etc. - you won't find many of these clichéd scare-tactics in this film. Due to its rather minimalistic plotting I can easily see that people might find AND SOON too slow moving and not particularly rewarding a rewatch once the final twist is revealed. But for me it's all about the brooding atmosphere of the sun-drenched countryside where most of the film takes place in broad daylight. The vast and yet reduced setting of rural France, the loneliness on the country road, the lack of dialogue and the growing desperation of our heroine really drew me in. AND SOON takes an approach quite different from similar plot premises where our usual American hero moves along in a foreign setting with ease and confidence. Here our protagonist is pretty much stranded and completely dependent on the good will of the people she meets. Not a very pleasant thought considering their suspicious and somewhat menacing behaviour. Moreover, our heroine doesn't speak French and whatever little information she finally gets out of the locals ("Bad road!") doesn't sound too promising. Appropriately, no subtitles are provided for the audience, putting any viewer not so fluent in French in the same situation as her.

Apart from the happy main theme Laurie Johnson delivers a subdued score to accompany the proceedings until the tense ending in a creepy junkyard. The photography revels in the warmly lit landscape and cleverly uses the sparse and isolated buildings to accentuate the open fields, contrasting the powerful scenery with the vulnerability of our forlorn protagonist. The camera work is quite naturally dominated by the horizon and horizontal compositions yet I love that shot at the end the most when the camera slowly tilts down and finally, after all the sun, heat and sweat, a light summer rain sets in and washes away the dirt. I highly recommend AND SOON when you are in the right mood for an atmospheric thriller that slowly builds up tension and doesn't spell out everything for the viewer.

I watched a decent open matte TV print and I am quite happy with it. As I have seen that AB put out a dvd quite some time ago I wonder if it is worth upgrading for the audio commentary alone. Do Fuest and screenwriter Clemens have some interesting stories to share?

Crudox cruo!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2008 - 12:32 »

I actually liked Laurie Johnson's main theme.

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2008 - 12:40 »

Yeah, it is one catchy tune. Does anyone know whether it has been released on a compilation album?
Crudox cruo!

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2008 - 13:41 »

Ask him - here's his website  :D
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #14 on: 06 Nov 2008 - 13:49 »

It's out on Italian disc as well:
http://www.kultvideo.com/scheda.asp?item=19263&type=DVD&key=2
Pretty decent release,includes a very nice transfer and a good sounding English track.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.