• 03 Jul 2022 - 03:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three Tough Guys / Uomini duri (Duccio Tessari, 1974)  (Read 5553 times)

magnus

i´ve had the funky soundtrack LP for this for some years, so it was fun to get to see the film. Italo-blaxploitation with Lino Ventura as a priest who rides a bicycle, has a arsenal hanging on the wall and hits hard (he´s allmost as tough as Ricky Bruch´s priest in CHARLESTON) and in search for a friends murderer teams up with Isaac Hayes who´s an ex-cop looking for the gangsters that set him up. The mainman behind it all turns out to be the hussler Fred Williamson, without mustach and cigarr, but stonecold as allways. Probably the film was supposed to be called Two Tough Gys, that´s what Hayes sings in the theamsong and it would make more sense, but i guess the producers realised old Fred is pretty though as well, gangster or not.
All in all a standard blaxploitation movie, nothing really special, but ok to watch if you have nothing better to do a Thursday night.

IL COMMISSARIO

Re: Three Tough Guys / Uomini duri (Duccio Tessari, 1974)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 00:24 »

This was one of the absolute worst movies I've seen. Painfully boring and unexciting action scenes and Isaac Hayes seems either tranquilized or embarrassed for appearing in this thing. The only blaxploitation-Euro crime movie entry and even more disappointing considering those involved. Oddly, Fred Williamson has said many times movies he appears in must follow three rules--he wins all his fights, he gets the girl and he lives at the end. This film breaks all three of those. Venturo was the only interesting aspect of this movie for me. I'm not sure which is worse, this movie or Williamson's somewhat vain MEAN JOHNNY BARROWS (1976). Another film that simultaneously wastes an awesome cast and ruins moments that otherwise would have been better in the hands of a more capable director.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 00:34 »

Oddly, Fred Williamson has said many times movies he appears in must follow three rules--he wins all his fights, he gets the girl and he lives at the end. This film breaks all three of those. 
Wasn't Fred killed at the end of BLACK CAESAR only to be ressurected for HELL UP IN HARLEM.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 00:39 »

There were two endings for BLACK CAESAR--one where he lived and one where he died. The theatrical had the 'happier' ending but the DVD has the downer ending. I don't know about the VHS tape though. HELL UP IN HARLEM was the sequel and I guess considering the theatrical ending...BTW, HELL...was kind of shit I thought. Jim Brown has always struck me as a better performer than Williamson. I like Williamson but his fight scenes are horrible especially when he tries to do kung fu moves. Even using quick cuts his moves are awful. When he sticks to straight kicks and punches his fights are fine.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 00:48 »

I've got one Williamson movie I'm almost afraid to watch called DEATH JOURNEY. It looks like shit, too. IMO, his best movies were his AIP flicks and his Italian ventures.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 10:42 »

The only blaxploitation-Euro crime movie entry and even more disappointing considering those involved.
There's also Gianni Manera's WOODEN OVERCOAT(Il Cappotto di legno) from 1981 which also stars Williamson and some known faces from the genre like Salavatore Billa,Enrico Maisto and Tommaso Palladino.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 14:50 »

The only blaxploitation-Euro crime movie entry and even more disappointing considering those involved.
There's also Gianni Manera's WOODEN OVERCOAT(Il Cappotto di legno) from 1981 which also stars Williamson and some known faces from the genre like Salavatore Billa,Enrico Maisto and Tommaso Palladino.

Is this really blaxploitation though? I see Williamson is the sole black guy in the credits.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 15:03 »

Well it always gave off that vibe to me though i prefer Mannara's crime/giallo hybrid ORDINE FIRMATO IN BIANCO which is a better movie.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 15:04 »

Is OVERCOAT worth picking up the longer cut?

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 15:34 »

..........................I take it it's not worth it then. One black guy doesn't constitute a blaxploitation movie, IMO. Do you consider those post apoc movies black action because Williamson is in them?

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 16:02 »

Don't know anything about a longer cut.

magnus

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 16:02 »

i must say i´ve seen a few blaxploitation films that are far less exciting then this one.. i´m bad at keeping them apart and remebering titles, usually like the mood in them even if not much happens.  but yes, a masterpiece this aint.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2008 - 16:06 »

Don't know anything about a longer cut.

The last title at bottom of the page. According to IMDB, the US release is 88 minutes.

http://www.trash-online.com/dvd-W.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.