• 08 Dec 2019 - 23:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tenebre/Tenebrae/Unsane/Shadows (Dario Argento, 1982)  (Read 31299 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

This—without a doubt—is Argento's best film of the 80s; a labyrinthine plot, crazy camera work, suitably strange sounstrack and a top notch cast (Anthony Franciosa, John Saxon, Daria Nicolodi, John Steiner, Giuliano Gemma). There's a lot to like and if a news story on Dark Dreams is to be believed, Anchor Bay will be releasing a special edition in the US this summer...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Stephen Grimes

Re: Tenebre/Tenebrae/Unsane/Shadows (Dario Argento, 1982)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2008 - 11:37 »

This is a great reason for me to finally buy this film on dvd,got various vhs dupes and dvdr's but no official release of it in my collection.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2008 - 11:39 »

I have four versions of TENEBRAE on DVD; the US release (for the commentary), the UK reelase (which was in one of the BOX OF THE BANNED, the German release ( as UNSANE for some of the extras) and the uncut Dutch release (as SHADOWS). Mental.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2008 - 11:42 »

I'm in the same boat as Stephen. Never owned a DVD of this one. I've still got the Roan Group's US Laser Disc though.  :-X
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2008 - 11:46 »

I had the Roan laser. Also had the cut UK VHS release on VideoMedia and an uncut Australian tape on the Palace label. Flogged-off years ago though.

Peter Neal

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2008 - 12:02 »

Well, I didn't earn my name for nothing ;D

Let's see: First, there was a bad quality boot from the cut and still banned German VHS, followed by the VERY expensive purchase of the Greek VHS, upgraded with the Roan Laserdisc, which was eventually retired by the ABUK disc, the DVD on the second BOTB box, the Austrian "Unsane" 2-discer, it's also part of the Scandinavian 9 disc Argento set aaand (as a backup for the German language track) the Sazuma release. ::)
Needless to say, I own the Soundtrack CD, too. ;)

Another SE on the way, eh?  :-\

Since they probably won't be offering an interview with the late great Anthony Franciosa I'm wondering how they'll get me THIS time!  :-* :-X

Daliah Lavi

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2008 - 23:55 »

My second fave Argento after Inferno.
We can live in hope that someone finally does this title justice...It's a crime Tenebre has suffered so badly on video/LD and dvd.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2008 - 01:52 »

It's a crime Tenebre has suffered so badly on video/LD and dvd.

From what I heard, Silvio Berlusconi bought the negative and had it edited when his wife Veronica Lario (Jane) was still his girlfriend.  The Anchor Bay version had to be put together from three or more different prints.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2008 - 08:59 »

the late great Anthony Franciosa
Didn't even realize he died 2 years ago

R.I.P., he was also great in ACROSS 110th STREET.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

K August

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2008 - 15:57 »

It's a crime Tenebre has suffered so badly on video/LD and dvd.

From what I heard, Silvio Berlusconi bought the negative and had it edited when his wife Veronica Lario (Jane) was still his girlfriend.  The Anchor Bay version had to be put together from three or more different prints.

No shit?

Wow, I knew that some editing went on because of Lario's hubby but that's just nuts.

My favorite Argento period.

Peter

• Special Cop In Action
    • Giallo Locandine
« Reply #10 on: 01 Mar 2008 - 05:55 »

Release date for the new version is May 27th. 16x9-enhanced with Dolby 5.1 Surround soundtrack. There's a new featurette along with the all the extras from the previous AB disc.
• Audio commentary by Argento, composer Claudio Simonetti and journalist Loris Curci
• New: Voices of the Unsane retrospective featurette
• The Roving Camera Eye of Dario Argento featurette
• Creating Sounds of Terror featurette
• Alternate end credit music
• Argento bio
• Trailer

I assume we'll get a complete version this time around. That alone would have made me pick this up, but I'm glad to see that there's a new featurette added as well

Mr.Jagil

« Reply #11 on: 01 Mar 2008 - 12:27 »

Very nice... So far, my favourite Argento. I am very excited about the "Creating sounds of Terror" bit. Loved the music.

Peter Neal

« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar 2008 - 13:52 »

Would be interesting to learn more about who they've lined up for the restrospective featurette?
John Saxon, probably. ::)
Of course, I'm tempted....but I'd hate it if the new features would only clock around 10 minutes. :-*

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #13 on: 01 Mar 2008 - 14:40 »

I know there will be a 5.1 English soundtrack but any idea if it'll have the mono soundtrack too or just a stereo downmix?  The original AB disc had the Italian track too (Argento did the opening narration on the Italian version).  It would be nice if there were English subtitles for that track too (I think I read that the Medusa disc's subtitles are actually dubtitles - though I think they were transcribed from the dubbing script instead of the audio track).

I would've preferred the image of Mirella D'Angelo peeking through the hole in her T-shirt for the cover image but the one displayed above is a poster image (though I think its supposed to have a black background).  Its nice they included the alternate end credits again.  The song is totally inappropriate for the film but its catchy on its own.

CJ

« Reply #14 on: 02 Mar 2008 - 02:30 »

Tenebr(a)e is a great movie. His best in the 80's? I have a preference for Phenomena, but that's a purely personal bias.

But yes, an SE of Tenebrae would be most welcome. My 2-disc SE of Bird with the Crystal Plumage is a treasure in my collection, but an SE of Tenebrae could pose a threat to that crown. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 33 queries.