• 19 Oct 2019 - 03:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fright (Peter Collinson 1971)  (Read 5087 times)

john eastland

Fright (Peter Collinson 1971)
« on: 19 Feb 2008 - 00:12 »

Is it just me, or is this one creepy movie?
Remember watching this one as a child (with my dad and sister) in the early eighties (when it was shown yearly on ITV, usually friday nights?)
Not a bloodbath, by any means, but i wonder if John Carpenter had watched it, before going on to make 'Halloween'

All the cast give good performances, especially Ian Bannen (an actor who always seemed as if he was pissed) as the loony ex-husband. His performance (at first) revolts the audience, but you kind of feel a little sorry for him at the end. Susan George gives a much better performance than she did in 'Straw Dogs'.....and what a screamer! Both George Cole and Honor Blackman, both do good jobs at slowly unreeling their secret past. But the image that has stuck with me the most is poor old Dennis Waterman getting a good hiding, and (rather creepily) getting back up for seconds....should have stayed down Dennis, should have stayed down.
All in all, FRIGHT is a great movie (in my opinion) that proved that us Brits, could make good suspense movies as good as the U.S.
Director Peter Collinson also directed another favourite of mine, OPEN SEASON (although strangely enough, i've never been a big fan of The Itallian Job)

I'm sure that everyone here has saw this movie before, but i'd be interested to hear any views on it (good or bad)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Fright (Peter Collinson 1971)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2008 - 12:06 »

I wasn't too gone on this flick, John. Maybe I need to see it again.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

fdsmedia

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2008 - 12:19 »

I bought the Anchor Bay DVD and watched it recently. I enjoyed it even if the bad guy wasn't so scary...  :-*

john eastland

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2008 - 01:52 »

I bought the Anchor Bay DVD and watched it recently. I enjoyed it even if the bad guy wasn't so scary...  :-*

He scared the hell out of me (I guess it's different horses for courses)
Maybe you have to be of a certain age to find this stuff scary? (i'm 35)

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2008 - 23:18 »

I liked this one lots, John. The portion before the killer revealed himself was some serious nail biting suspense! Expertly handled and the scenes involving Honor Blackman and her husband with their secret to hide also aided in building the suspense. Plus, Susan George in the cast too. She gets raped in a similar fashion compared with STRAW DOGS only here, she doesn't appear to be enjoying herself at all. I felt like Carpenter must have seen this for the whole babysitter stalking thing, but BLACK CHRISTMAS was far more similar to HALLOWEEN in fact, HALLOWEEN was supposed to have been BLACK CHRISTMAS 2 but Clark didn't want to do it and gave the script to Carpenter who tweaked it a bit but retained some of the elements turning it into what everybody knows today as HALLOWEEN.

But yeah, FRIGHT deserves more recognition and a shame it's such an obscure piece of British horror.

john eastland

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2008 - 10:54 »

I'm surprised it's never had a UK release. Although the old ANCHOR BAY release is RO anyhow!

Alfetta

« Reply #6 on: 02 Mar 2008 - 16:15 »

My copy of Fright has Thames TV continuity and commercials from 1982, possibly more interesting than the film itself! It was broadcast after News At Ten in a regular horror film slot.

Mojo

« Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2009 - 18:20 »

According to Play, this is getting a UK release early next year ( great news! )
Anyone have any info on this?

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #8 on: 04 Nov 2009 - 07:59 »

According to Play, this is getting a UK release early next year ( great news! )
Anyone have any info on this?

Yes, it's Optimum that is releasing it, so I would imagine the transfer will be similar to the one that ABUS put out back along.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #9 on: 04 Nov 2009 - 09:44 »

it's probably the same Studio Canal master (especially so, since it's Optimum).

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2009 - 10:32 »

it's probably the same Studio Canal master (especially so, since it's Optimum).

Like i said  ;D :-\

Mojo

« Reply #11 on: 04 Nov 2009 - 18:20 »

Thanks for the info, Paul. Good to know punters won't have to pay silly prices for the old oop ABUS disc any more.

Optimum are picking up some pretty good stuff at the moment.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #12 on: 04 Nov 2009 - 21:15 »

Thanks for the info, Paul. Good to know punters won't have to pay silly prices for the old oop ABUS disc any more.

Optimum are picking up some pretty good stuff at the moment.

Optimum are owned by the French company Studio Canal and they have a HUGE catalogue that encompasses many different libraries.

TEENAGER SIND NACKT

« Reply #13 on: 04 Jan 2010 - 20:56 »

just had to chime in , I  LOVE the Anchor Bay DVD for this title !!  8)

fdsmedia

« Reply #14 on: 04 Jan 2010 - 21:11 »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.