• 25 Jun 2019 - 08:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunny Lake Is Missing (Otto Preminger, 1965)  (Read 2766 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Bunny Lake Is Missing (Otto Preminger, 1965)
« on: 20 Feb 2008 - 08:34 »

BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING – watched this Otto Preminger film last night and was really impressed. Made in London in 1965, film is the tale of Anne Lake, a "fresh-off-the-boat" American who has arrived in the city with her young daughter, Bunny so that she can be closer to her journalist brother, Stephen. Hurriedly enrolling Bunny in a Hampstead school, Anne returns home to unpack, but is soon horrified to discover that Bunny has gone missing. Worse still is that no one in the school remembers seeing the child and the investigating officer (played to the hilt by Laurence Olivier) soon begins to suspect Anne of inventing the very existence of her daughter...

The film is excellent, briskly-paced and brilliantly acted. Carol Lyney (who plays Anne), Olivier, Keir Dullea and Noel Coward all turn in some great performances. Shot in monochromatic Panavision, the film looks absolutely sensational. Definitely recommended.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Andrew Monroe

Re: Bunny Lake Is Missing (Otto Preminger, 1965)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2008 - 13:17 »

I agree, it`s a top-notch thriller. Preminger is one of my favorite directors and I`d rank this film right up there with his best films noir. The cast are all fine but Coward really stands out in a subtly creepy role. I was glad when this finally hit dvd, aside from the rare television broadcast it was very hard to see.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008 - 16:41 »

A UK release was due last August through DD Home Entertainment, but they went into administration about two weeks before it (and the likes of GUMSHOE and THE WRONG BOX) hit the shelves. They were also palnning to release a bunch of Hammer titles after doing a licencing deal with Sony. Shame.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

fdsmedia

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2008 - 19:10 »

I've heard that Simply Home Entertainment who bought DD are planning to release those cancelled titles.

Anyway, I have the R1 DVD and it's a nice thriller.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2008 - 19:51 »

I've heard that Simply Home Entertainment who bought DD are planning to release those cancelled titles.

Anyway, I have the R1 DVD and it's a nice thriller.

Really? That would be very cool. There were some Hammer titles planned and it was stuff that havd never been released anywhere on DVD.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2008 - 04:02 »

I agree, it`s a top-notch thriller. Preminger is one of my favorite directors and I`d rank this film right up there with his best films noir.

Agreed!  :P  BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING is one of Premingers best later films, which I'd rate up there with his string of 20th Century Fox film noirs form the mid-40s to early-50s. LAURA, FALLEN ANGEL, WHIRLPOOL, WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, ANGEL FACE.

Really, Peminger is right up there with Lang, Wilder, Mann, Siodmak, Dassin, Welles, Ray and Hathaway when it comes to his Noir quality and quantity.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

zykl0nb

« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2008 - 06:54 »

I think the only Preminger films I've seen are ANATOMY OF A MURDER and SKIDOO, but I like those  ::)

Chad

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2008 - 12:37 »

I tivo'd this off TCM a month or so ago, it's an entertaining film with a topnotch cast and it made a fun little companion piece to SKIDOO for a late period Preminger double bill.

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2008 - 19:35 »

I agree, it`s a top-notch thriller. Preminger is one of my favorite directors and I`d rank this film right up there with his best films noir.

Agreed!  :P  BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING is one of Premingers best later films, which I'd rate up there with his string of 20th Century Fox film noirs form the mid-40s to early-50s. LAURA, FALLEN ANGEL, WHIRLPOOL, WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, ANGEL FACE.

Really, Peminger is right up there with Lang, Wilder, Mann, Siodmak, Dassin, Welles, Ray and Hathaway when it comes to his Noir quality and quantity.

Sorry for the late reply, Michael, I wasn`t able to get by here for a good while. Glad to see another Preminger and noir fan here! I love all the films of his you mentioned, there`s nary a dud in the bunch. I saw DAISY KENYON for the first time when the last batch of Fox noirs came out, it`s a superbly acted noirish love triangle. Easily the outstanding film in that lot of noir discs. BONJOUR TRISTESSE is another favorite of mine from Preminger, it could play as a companion piece to ANGEL FACE in a way. Now, if we could only get THE 13TH LETTER (his remake of LE CORBEAU) on dvd. That`s one of my top must sees, the original is a stunner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.