• 08 Aug 2022 - 06:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear Over The City / Peur sur la ville (Henri Verneuil, 1975)  (Read 38782 times)

ddmichael

Great film - I've actually got the poster on my wall. Verneuil was a superb action director, though you don't really hear him mentionned much. The Burglars and The Sicilian Clan are equally effective. I've always been curious about two of his other Belmondo pictures, neither of which, to my knowledge, have been seen in English since their cinema realeases: Cent Mille Dollars au Soleil (Greed in the Sun) and Week-end a Zuydcoote (Weekend at Dunkirk).

Belmondo's stunts never cease to amaze me - he was apparently fearless. Hanging from balconies, crashing cars and riding the rooftops of Metro trains certainly puts Fabio Testi to shame. No surprise his son ended up racing cars - he must have spent much of his youth hanging out with Remy Julienne.

Fyi: The French Belmondo Collection DVD of L'Alpagueur (another excellent crime thriller) is listed as having English audio - it doesn't.

I'm a newbie here, but felt compelled to sign up when I saw people discussing Belmondo films...

DM

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

welcome ddmichael ::)

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

fdsmedia

Fyi: The French Belmondo Collection DVD of L'Alpagueur (another excellent crime thriller) is listed as having English audio - it doesn't.

I'm working on a custom DVD of this one with an audio track I got from demented_uk - don't know when I will be able to find the time, though...

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever

I was pretty impressed when I first saw this film a little while ago. Belmondo does a truly impressive job with his stuntwork and the film is very suspenseful and gripping, with a terrifically creepy killer.

The more giallo-inspired elements are another big asset, and I was particularly grabbed by the very effective opening sequence where Lea Massari is being tormented by threatening phone calls. Unfortunately, the film ends with a somewhat disappointing hostage-situation climax, which just doesn't pack that big of a punch because, frankly, it wasn't possible to really care for the woman being held hostage since she was never developed as a character (no close-ups and hardly a line of dialogue). If that other woman (the one Belmondo had some romantic feelings for) had been the climatic hostage instead, it would probably have been far more gripping. Oh well... that was my pnly complaint. The rest of the film was terrific.

I've never really been a fan of French thrillers but this one inspired me to seek out some other, such as THE SLEEPING CAR MURDER (1965), which I highly recommend, and WITHOUT APPARENT MOTIVE (1971), which is also a pretty good thriller. Are there other recommended French thrillers from the 60s and 70s?

fdsmedia

Are there other recommended French thrillers from the 60s and 70s?

I was recommended Quelqu'un derrière la porte (aka Someone Behind the Door - Nicolas Gessner, 1971) starring Charles Bronson and Anthony Perkins so I ordered myself a copy of the Swedish DVD released by Universal but I haven't watched it yet. Seems promising, though. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067773/

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever

Thanks! I hadn't heard about that one before actually. Sounds like it could be interesting, yes.

Quatremain

Peur sur la Ville is my favorite Belmondo movie.

Apart from the breathtaking action and chase sequences I love the gritty atmosphere brooding of menace that does really justice to the movie's original title (= Fear over the City).

I am on the same line with Johan about the movie's dramaturgic flaws, but all in all this flic-flick is entertaining throughout.

The score is certainly not Morricone' best (I think, he re-used material from a 1971 movie, whose title I can't recall from the top of my head), but it contributes to the aforementioned atmosphere perfectly. There's a Japanese release out there which has more than 70 minutes of music. Try to get a hand on that one.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
Dig that groove baby.

Quatremain

Broonage, this is actually the Italian release, not the Japanese I mentioned.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see the Dagored disc is still available.

The extended JP release features one track you shouldn't listen to when you're drunk.

It's an endless spiral of strings that makes you feel as if you were in whirligig rotating towards the bottom of an abyss.
The discordant brass section brings no relief. A great listening experience.

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture

The score is certainly not Morricone' best (I think, he re-used material from a 1971 movie, whose title I can't recall from the top of my head)

It's very similar to other Morricone crime scores -- REVOLVER, ALMOST HUMAN, VIOLENT CITY...

(I think there may even be a brief spot in CORRUPT aka COPKILLER where he uses some variation on his "Morricone crime theme.")

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

This is my favourite Belmondo film out the ones i have seen

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.

I picked up the DVD a few weeks ago. On my "too watch" pile.
Dig that groove baby.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

I picked up the DVD a few weeks ago. On my "too watch" pile.
I think you'll like it, my favourite out of the French crime films i have seen so far.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

There's a Thai XXX disc of this...
http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=44708
Says there is an original language option as well as Thai... Can anyone confirm there is no English option on this disc?
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.