• 21 Aug 2019 - 19:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci 1968)  (Read 15898 times)

Gary B.

Re: The Great Silence/Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci 1968)
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2008 - 08:18 »

I just ordered this recent Japanese reissue by SPO:

Here are the specs according to Amazon.jp:
Language: Italian, English and Japanese
Subtitles: Italian and English
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Run Time: 105 minutes

I know the U.S./Fantomas DVD is 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio / 105 minutes.  I'm wondering if this is cropped, or did they find a new print?  anamorphic??  I took my chances and will let you all know when I get my copy soon.
 :-X

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000NOKEN6/

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2008 - 09:09 »

I wonder if it still looks like it was shot through a gauze though?

Neverless a great film and one of Morricone's most beautiful scores imo.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2008 - 09:19 »

I think the gauze effect is due to the cinematographer using the wrong lenses in certain shots, I'm sure I've read about this before somewhere, so I don't think it can ever be rectified.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2008 - 20:34 »

Have SPO released box sets again or just certain titles remastered better than before?

The Hunchback

« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2008 - 20:36 »

Have SPO released box sets again or just certain titles remastered better than before?

A Japanese friend of mine told me the DJANGO re-release was no different than the original SPO release and not as good as the BU release.

Gary B.

« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2008 - 06:39 »

here are the details for the new SPO disc that arrived today:

- NON-anamorphic & NO english subs (amazon.jp's info is sadly erroneous).
there are English, Italian and Japanese audio options, but I was really hoping to watch this in Italian with English subs, because the dubbing on the English track is one of the worst I've heard for a film as great as this one. 

- the opening U.S. titles are in English as "The Great Silence", not in Italian as "Il Grande silenzio". 

- seems to be from the same print used before (none of the opening credits are cropped off the edge of the screen like the Fantoma R1 disc, though.).  everything still looks really muted and pale / high contrast.  yes, the gauze effect is still there early in the film.  when I get my new laptop, I'll put up some screen comparisons, as this transfer seems slightly crisper than the R1 disc.

really no reason to buy it unless you're a diehard fan or don't have the old version already.  had I known all this, I would have avoided it completely.  the cover art is nice, though...!

Mart85

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2008 - 15:51 »

Thanks for the info Gary.  Shame about it not having the spec that was listed on cdjapan.

I think the French DVD is anamorphic and there is always the UK Eureka DVD if you want to see it in Italian with English subtitles.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

I've ordered this recent UK release.  Anyone else pick it up?

It has an anamorphic transfer, Italian and English audio and English subs.  Spaghetti Western Data base says the transfer is improved, though I believe it may be a little cropped from 1.66:1 to 1:78:1.

The Great Silence - Amazon.co.uk

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Grande_silenzio,_Il/DVD
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

I'll have to get that, i've got it in one of the Macaroni box sets from Japan but it's not anamorphic.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I have the Fantoma release. There was some talk of this release on Marc's Cult Movie Forums just the other day...

Digital Classics are a decent company. I have two of their other discs: The Warren Beatty Brit Crime caper KALEIDOSCOPE and Ken Russell's LISZTOMANIA. Both are nice releases.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

It has an anamorphic transfer, Italian and English audio and English subs.  Spaghetti Western Data base says the transfer is improved, though I believe it may be a little cropped from 1.66:1 to 1:78:1.

The Great Silence - Amazon.co.uk

Also to add that the English audio is much better on this new release when compared to the older DVDs.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Spaghetti Hero

Also to add that the English audio is much better on this new release when compared to the older DVDs.
Which doesn't matter as this movie should be watched listening to the Italian dub  ;D

I've got the old English Eureka release which is fine enough for me although non-anamorphic.

Also The Great Silence is a movie that has been released countless times by now so there's a pretty good chance that it will someday get a HD release and that may be really worth picking up.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

Also The Great Silence is a movie that has been released countless times by now so there's a pretty good chance that it will someday get a HD release and that may be really worth picking up.
I'd say will be  :-\

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

Watched the UK 16x9 Il grande silenzio last night.  Was nice to see it with an anamorphic transfer and Italian audio.  It appears to have the same extras as the Fantoma disc, Short Alex Cox piece, alternate ending and a trailer.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Richard C

I'd say will be  :-\
It would be one of the films I'll willingly upgrade to. Think I have both the earlier UK release and the Fantoma disc but I've only watched the UK disc. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 35 queries.