• 26 Aug 2019 - 06:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alain Delon Box Set from Lionsgate (Region free NTSC)  (Read 4693 times)

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

I've ordered the upcoming Alian Delon Box set from Lionsgate which includes:

Diaboliquement vĂ´tre (1967) aka Diabolically Yours
La Piscine (1969) aka The Swimming Pool
La Veuve Couderc (1971) aka The Widow Couderc
Le Gitan (1975) aka The Gypsy
Notre histoire (1984) aka Separate Rooms

For those of you who were waiting, there's a review up at DVD Beaver with all the vital specs included.

The films are all in or around a 1.66:1 aspect ratio with anamorphic, progressive scan transfers. LA PISCINE has burned in English subtitles, but the other discs offer removable subs. There are three Region 0 NTSC discs. LA PISCINE is on a DVD5 disc by itself, DIABOLIQUEMENT VOTRE and LE VEUVE COUDERC are on a single DVD9 as are LE GITAN and NOTRE HISTOIRE.

The are no extras, ala Eclipse, but the price, I paid $27.95 (US), is is less than $6 bucks a film.

I've also picked the recent Lionsgate Bunuel and Godard sets and look forward to their future releases.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews3..._collection.htm
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

fdsmedia

Re: Alain Delon Box Set from Lionsgate (Region free NTSC)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2008 - 06:20 »

Do you know if the films will also be available separately?

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2008 - 08:43 »

The films are only available in the set.  Its a good price.  The GODARD set is also great (PASSION seems to be the only film in the set encoded with 3:2 pulldown, therefore its interlaced but with not ghosting so its not a standards conversion - the others seem to be correctly transferred progressive images).    I'm hoping the DELON set looks as good.

The English dub of DIABOLICALLY YOURS is available on DVD from Televista though its likely not authorized (its too bad the English tracks for this and LA PISCINE were not also included on the LionsGate discs but I think they are using whatever Studio Canal gives them).

magnus

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 22:00 »

sounds nice, THE GYPSY is a good crime-film, kind of regret a sold my swedish vhs of that... but my favorite film of Alain Delon is SHOCK TREATMENT (or Doctor in the Nude as it was called in UK-cinemas!).

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2008 - 17:22 »

but my favorite film of Alain Delon is SHOCK TREATMENT (or Doctor in the Nude as it was called in UK-cinemas!).

An excellent film.  Delon certainly is diabolical in it and the ending is a good kick in the stomach! 

Another film in this vain is Robert Fiveson's CLONUS (1979) (available on R1 DVD from Mondo Macabro).  CLONUS made on a shoestring budget is highly recommended over the CLONUS rip-off by Dreamworks and Michael Bay, the $120 million dollar (US) film THE ISLAND.  Dreamworks had to settle out of court with Clonus Associates to avoid the lawsuit going to trial.  When a studio - with their squadron of high-priced lawyers - is willing to pay a  7 figure settlement to a very small production company, that probably hasn't done anything since the film was made in 1979, you know they had the stank of rip-off and thievery all over their film.

http://news.findlaw.com/andrews/bt/sel/20061031/20061031_clonus.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts:_The_Clonus_Horror

http://www.agonybooth.com/articles/interview-with-clonus-screenwriter.aspx

"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2008 - 17:23 »

Dunno if this has been posted elsewhere on the site (it's not exactly arthouse, I know), but Lionsgate has also put out the Delon/Bronson film HONOR AMONG THIEVES on disc in the U.S.

Another Bronson film from them is SOMEONE BEHIND THE DOOR.

Both of these have been out on myriad budget DVDs, so it's good to have decent transfers.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jun 2008 - 17:38 »

Dunno if this has been posted elsewhere on the site (it's not exactly arthouse, I know), but Lionsgate has also put out the Delon/Bronson film HONOR AMONG THIEVES on disc in the U.S.

Another Bronson film from them is SOMEONE BEHIND THE DOOR.

Both of these have been out on myriad budget DVDs, so it's good to have decent transfers.

The anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer on Lionsgate's HONOR AMONG THIEVES is gorgeous, especially compared to what was available before.  ::) However, HONOR AMONG THIEVES aka ADIEU L'AMI would definitely play better in French, but Lionsgate's release only has an English track.  :-[

The film takes place in Paris and Bronson is supposed to be a former French Foreign Legionnaire, so he should speak fluent French, albeit with an accent. The film's English track is a bit jarring and some of the translations like a doll saying "papa gone" when her string is pulled, when it's more likely something like "daddy go bye-bye" is a bit awkward.

Though a friend and I, whom I also work with, and who borrowed the disc from me after I saw it, were walking past each other at work a few weeks ago saying "Papa Gone!"  :-\ 
SNAPORAZ!

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2008 - 13:52 »

I remember seeing an oversized "big box" vhs release of SOMEONE BEHIND THE DOOR at a mom-and-pop video store in the mid-90s. The cover read: "Bronson is ... SOMEONE BEHIND THE DOOR."

But as the video was classified in the store's action section, it had a sticker indicating such, and the placement of the sticker made the box read:

"Bronson is ... ACTION."

fdsmedia

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2008 - 13:57 »

French, but Lionsgate's release only has an English track.  :-[
The UK DVD released under the title FAREWELL FRIEND is also English audio only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 34 queries.