• 08 Dec 2019 - 23:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The House Of The Yellow Carpet (Carlo Lizzani, 1982)  (Read 6671 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

aka 'La casa del tappeto giallo'

A late film by Lizzani that gets a great review from Tim Lucas in Video Watchdog #116 where he reviews the USA VHS release on the Lightning video label. Also mentioned is a theatrical release in Italian with English subtitles.

Never seen this film at all, anyone got any info on it?
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
Re: The House Of The Yellow Carpet (Carlo Lizzani, 1982)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2008 - 21:05 »

It's a pretty nice and claustrophobic thriller with some good twists and turns even if some of them require a certain suspension of disbelief. There are only four actors (all of them excellent), which is a plus for me since I've always had a thing for thrillers with very few characters. I believe this is based on a theater play and it shows but overall I found this flick quite satisfying.

Peter

• Special Cop In Action
    • Giallo Locandine
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2008 - 21:08 »

Haven't seen it in a few years, but I remember it being a quite good. If I recall correctly, the whole film is set in a flat so it's almost like a stageplay. Wouldn't mind seeing it again. Preferably a better copy the the one I've got. The top of the picture flickers the whole way through. It looks atrocious.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 01:11 »

I have the Lightning Video release.  I heard the Japanese cassette was widescreen and longer (but that might be eBay hype).

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 11:06 »

This showed up on Sky many moons ago, but it was cut compared to the US Lightning release I have.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 11:25 »

I heard the Japanese cassette was widescreen and longer (but that might be eBay hype).
never seen the film but i have been outbid twice on the Japanese vhs before.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 11:49 »

I have a dub of the Japanese tape and it is indeed letterboxed but I'm not all that impressed with the overall quality - the colors are way too pale IMO. I've never seen the US Lighting release so I can't tell what differences there may be between the two.

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 15:37 »

I have the Lightning tape too, pretty nice looking I thought. As Tim Lucas mentioned in his review of the tape (in one of his Things From The Attic columns), it`s shot in a television style typical of much 1980s Italian cinema and thus adapts well to video framing, with no apparent cropping issues. He also says Orion Classics acquired it for US theatrical release and ran an Italian language, English subbed print but sadly it didn`t get many playdates - possibly due in part to the odd, prime-for-silly-jokes title. I agree with Peter, the film has a very stagy, play-like setting but it`s an offbeat and very engaging story with a good twist.

magnus

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 21:57 »

I really like this one, takes some rather unexpected twists (even for a giallo)! it´s also fun to see Erland Josephson in a horrorfilm, he should have done more psycho-roles in italian b-films instead of turning in to a parody of himself.... (He was good in Bergman´s last tv-film though, i´ll give him that).

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2008 - 22:20 »

I really like this one, takes some rather unexpected twists (even for a giallo)! it´s also fun to see Erland Josephson in a horrorfilm, he should have done more psycho-roles in italian b-films instead of turning in to a parody of himself....

Two of my favorite Josephson roles were in HOUR OF THE WOLF and PASSION OF ANNA which could be said to be horror films in a sense.

magnus

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2008 - 16:16 »

yeah, to a point i agree, but then Josephson still was really good. it seems sometime around the early 80s, when he got hired by Tarkovsky and so on, he too much fell in love with the image of himself, and since then he´s been pretty hard to take.

gialloboy

« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2008 - 15:47 »

There are Video releases in Japan, the US, Greece, Mexico, Brazil and Chile.The Brazilain release has by far the best quality!

gialloboy

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2008 - 08:01 »

Here are pics of the Japanese, Greek, Brazilian and Mexican releases:

ginny

« Reply #13 on: 01 Dec 2008 - 16:13 »

I have a great quality Italian tv rip if someone wants to make subtitles, i think it would be worthy of a fan dvd!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #14 on: 02 Dec 2008 - 00:47 »

yeah, to a point i agree, but then Josephson still was really good. it seems sometime around the early 80s, when he got hired by Tarkovsky and so on, he too much fell in love with the image of himself, and since then he´s been pretty hard to take.

I liked him in Tarkovsky's NOSTALGHIA (my favorite Tarkovsky film which really needs a quality release).  Not so much in FAITHLESS but then again it wasn't a really good film.  Not director Liv Ullman's fault just that Bergman's script was just so been-there-done-that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.