• 20 Jun 2019 - 10:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Spasmo (Umberto Lenzi, 1974)  (Read 14033 times)

vigilanteforce

Re: Spasmo (Umberto Lenzi, 1974)
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2008 - 08:30 »

this thread inspired me to watch this movie again after many years. I got the SS disc when it came out but hadn't seen the movie since the VHS days. It is really great.

mook

• Almost Human
« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2008 - 13:11 »

There's a 19 page essay on spasmo in a new book called Sleaze Artists, called 'Boredom, Spasmo, and the Italian system'. Apparently 'the boring film suspends us not betwixt and between, but in a perpetual state of waiting, thus providing a useful tool in combating the powers of mass spectacle'. lol what century was that written in, using words like betwixt and thus. Shit book, btw.

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #17 on: 03 Feb 2009 - 23:20 »

Eyecatcher are working double shifts at the moment considering how many releases they have up their sleeves. Covers are still work in progress but anyway here they are (via italo-cinema.de):

Cover A:

Cover B:

No specs yet but I am pretty sure they will as usual not provide any substantial extras (like the Lenzi interview from the Media Blasters and NEO release). If you are only interested in the film this might be a nice looking alternative, though.

Crudox cruo!

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2009 - 23:29 »

Thanks for the heads up KommissarX. Will definitely be bagging one of these when they come out. But who on earth would want cover A over B?
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

vigilanteforce

« Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2009 - 23:32 »

Eyecatcher are working double shifts at the moment considering how many releases they have up their sleeves.

They should have tried releasing those early gialli by Lenzi- QUIET PLACE TO KILL, PARANOIA, SO SWEET SO PERVERSE etc... There are already nice-looking transfers of those out in Italy- without English options of course. If Eyecatcher released those and added English options, they'd definitely sell better than SPASMO which is already out in 3-4 countries.

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #20 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 02:11 »

But who on earth would want cover A over B?

As I understand it the first cover is the old German video cover but hell yeah, I feel your pain, mate! :) I really dig the artwork as used here:

and on the soundtrack cover:

In Eyecatcher's defence I'm gonna add that IMHO the Media Blaster's cover is dreadful and the NEO one (with the generic blood splash) looks very uninspired, too.

They should have tried releasing those early gialli by Lenzi- QUIET PLACE TO KILL, PARANOIA, SO SWEET SO PERVERSE etc [...] they'd definitely sell better than SPASMO which is already out in 3-4 countries.

I couldn't agree more. :) Also I wish they would at least try to get Robert Hoffmann to do an interview - he shouldn't be so hard to track down. Looking back on Eyecatcher's catalogue, however, I get the impression that their modus operandi always is to add the German/English dub to the best source dvd available worldwide and get rid of all the expensive extra materials. I like their output but it is a pity they will apparently never do some "pioneer work" themselves.
Crudox cruo!

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #21 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 02:46 »

the soundtrack cover:

A copy of the soundtrack just arrived yesterday from Exploited. :'(
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #22 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 03:53 »

Eyecatcher are working double shifts at the moment considering how many releases they have up their sleeves.
They should have tried releasing those early gialli by Lenzi- QUIET PLACE TO KILL, PARANOIA, SO SWEET SO PERVERSE etc... There are already nice-looking transfers of those out in Italy- without English options of course.

QUIET PLACE TO KILL and SO SWEET SO PERVERSE are out but not ORGASMO.

Diabolik

• One Just Man
    • Diabolik - European Trash Cinema On Danish Video
« Reply #23 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 07:49 »

Hyper rare danish release;

/D

vigilanteforce

« Reply #24 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 08:23 »

QUIET PLACE TO KILL and SO SWEET SO PERVERSE are out but not ORGASMO.

You are right  :o

K August

« Reply #25 on: 04 Feb 2009 - 23:59 »

You nailed it there when you said the script is a mess Wim! Watching it yesterday for the first time in a long time I was quite taken aback by how little I could understand about the first 20 minutes of the film!

It was all over the place, one minute they found Suzy Kendall on the beach, the next they're all friends and having drinks on a yacht... Next thing Hoffman's shaving his beard off ready for action with Kendall, a man comes through the bathroom window...

My head was spinning so much I stopped trying to keep track and just went with it.  :-\

LoL...well, after lamenting that Susy Kendall convinced Robert Hoffman to off his beard, that's where I began to get confused X_x. But I do like the film.
It sure is an obtuse giallo, definitely requires patience.  :-\

vigilanteforce

« Reply #26 on: 05 Feb 2009 - 02:07 »

This one is the super-rare Greek VHS. I am proud to have it in my collection  :D

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #27 on: 05 Feb 2009 - 04:35 »

You nailed it there when you said the script is a mess Wim! Watching it yesterday for the first time in a long time I was quite taken aback by how little I could understand about the first 20 minutes of the film!

It was all over the place, one minute they found Suzy Kendall on the beach, the next they're all friends and having drinks on a yacht... Next thing Hoffman's shaving his beard off ready for action with Kendall, a man comes through the bathroom window...

My head was spinning so much I stopped trying to keep track and just went with it.  :-\

LoL...well, after lamenting that Susy Kendall convinced Robert Hoffman to off his beard, that's where I began to get confused X_x. But I do like the film.

Well, ya know, the film is told from the point of view an unreliable protagonist, who is schizophrenic  :-*, who conveniently leaves out the fact that he's a serial killer who has murdered four women during the course of the film, till it's finally revealed near the end of the film. Moreover, Lenzi portrays Hoffman's character as sympathetic, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I mean come on, there are mannequins in nearly every scene of the film and they're treated as if they belong there, as if they're something normal.  Watch the Lenzi interview on the Shriek Show disc for his take on what is going on.

David Lynch's WTF (in a great way) recent films, LOST HIGHWAY, MULHOLLAND DR., INLAND EMPIRE mine the same territory, they are presented from the POV of unreliable protagonists.  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

K August

« Reply #28 on: 07 Feb 2009 - 03:06 »

Well, ya know, the film is told from the point of view an unreliable protagonist, who is schizophrenic  :-*, who conveniently leaves out the fact that he's a serial killer who has murdered four women during the course of the film, till it's finally revealed near the end of the film. Moreover, Lenzi portrays Hoffman's character as sympathetic, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I mean come on, there are mannequins in nearly every scene of the film and they're treated as if they belong there, as if they're something normal.  Watch the Lenzi interview on the Shriek Show disc for his take on what is going on.

Re: Lenzi,  I never take his word seriously. 

The way this was structured was a serious mind fuck, probably the most convoluted of any giallo I've ever seen.  And ultimately one of the most clever because of it.  I'll have to watch it more closely the next time I view.

And btw, Eyecatcher cover B would be my choice. That's great art.

I'm not familiar with David Lynch's work.

bizarre_eye

« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2009 - 21:37 »

Both Eyecatcher releases (Cover A + B) are available for pre-order @ tele-movie-shop.de

Cover A looks different to the initial scan proposed earlier in the thread: http://www.tele-movie-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=14726 - I like this better than the initial one.

Cover B looks pretty much the same as in KommissarX's post: http://www.tele-movie-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=14727

Both are priced at 14,99 Euros a piece, and have a proposed release date of 27.02.

Looking at the descriptions, audio and video formats are not available at the moment but I am guessing German and English Dolby 2.0 language tracks and 1.78:1 Widescreen for each as per most of Eyecatcher's releases.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 34 queries.