• 02 Dec 2020 - 08:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diagnosis Murder (Sidney Hayers, 1974)  (Read 5390 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Diagnosis Murder (Sidney Hayers, 1974)
« on: 28 Mar 2008 - 08:39 »

Watched this last night and have to say, it's yet another fine Brit thriller from the man Hayers. The film concerns a dogged copper (FRENZY's Jon Finch) who becomes increasingly suspicious of a psychiatrist (Christopher Lee) whose wife has mysteriously disappeared. The gorgeous Judy Geeson co-stars in this taut, surprising thriller. Definitely recommended.

I have the Trinity US DVD; it's a fullscreen affair and the print is grainy, but eminently watchable.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Diagnosis Murder (Sidney Hayers, 1974)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2008 - 08:50 »

For a moment I thought you were giving props to the TV show starring Dick Van Dyke!  :-\

Sounds great though, liked everything I've seen directed by Sid Hayers so far. I'll have to check this one out.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2008 - 08:59 »

Definitely give it a go, mate. It's quite cheap on Amazon.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2008 - 08:46 »

Thanks Paul, didn't even know this was out on DVD, will pick this up now.  I am a big fan of Hayers' British thrillers.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2008 - 08:51 »

Thanks Paul, didn't even know this was out on DVD, will pick this up now.  I am a big fan of Hayers' British thrillers.

You're welcome; I'm a big fan of his work too. I loved ALL COPPERS ARE BASTARDS, REVENGE and DEADLY STRANGERS, wasn't too impressed with ASSAULT though.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2008 - 09:56 »

Didn't know that ALL THE COPPERS ARE BASTARDS was out on DVD.  Looks like I will be picking this one up too.  Surprised to hear that you didn't enjoy ASSAULT, I really enjoyed that one.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2008 - 10:01 »

Didn't know that ALL THE COPPERS ARE BASTARDS was out on DVD.  Looks like I will be picking this one up too.  Surprised to hear that you didn't enjoy ASSAULT, I really enjoyed that one.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I didn't enjoy ASSAULT, though it was okay, though it's thematically similar to the Dallamano schoolgirl flicks, which I think are better, probably because there was a distinct lack of sleaze in the Hayers film.

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2008 - 13:10 »

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I didn't enjoy ASSAULT, though it was okay, though it's thematically similar to the Dallamano schoolgirl flicks, which I think are better, probably because there was a distinct lack of sleaze in the Hayers film.

I like Assault a good bit myself. You make good points that (a) it`s quite similar to the "schoolgirls in peril" trilogy and (b) the sleaze is kept to a minimum. However, it`s still a very tense film that takes its potentially distasteful subject seriously. It`s also shot very well, been a bit since I watched it but the flashing brakelights on Kendall`s face still resonates. It`s interesting that on the Network dvd cover, the line "If you go down to the woods today..." is used, how many films used that as part of their promotion? I can think of a few slashers that did.

I`ll have to keep an eye out for Diagnosis Murder, it sounds interesting.

Alfetta

« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2008 - 20:28 »

It's refreshing to see Judy Geeson play a strong, gutsy character in Diagnosis Murder - maybe it's my imagination but she often seemed typecast in fragile 'screamer' roles in the '70s.

The film seems quite reminiscent of the ATV 'Thriller' series, especially with its Laurie Johnson score.

fdsmedia

« Reply #9 on: 04 Apr 2008 - 18:39 »

Diagnosis Murder is certainly a hidden gem which needs more recognition. Fans of Sidney Hayers might also be interested in the Mister Jerico DVD which was released on Network. A wonderful 60s diamond heist flick starring Patrick Macnee and Herbert Lom.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2008 - 15:00 »

Thanks for the recommendation Paul, I watched this on Saturday night and found it to be a good, solid British thriller.  The ending was a little too surprising if you know what I mean.  I still prefer REVENGE and ASSAULT though.  Hayers really deserves more appreciation.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2008 - 15:03 »

You're welcome, mate. Glad you like it. I prefer REVENGE too. I also rate DEADLY STRANGERS higher than this too.

grantwal

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2008 - 20:02 »

Its certainly an interesting film Paul. I've the US dvd too but I'm sure I read that this contains a shorter cut of the film which may explain both its short running time and gaps in the plot.
As you know I'm a big Hayers fan myself and love Assault and Revenge. I hope Network will bring out The Firechasers at some point. Its a good old film, certainly on par with All coppers are... imo.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2008 - 11:37 »

I've the US dvd too but I'm sure I read that this contains a shorter cut of the film which may explain both its short running time and gaps in the plot.

Very interesting.  This would certainly explain the out-of-nowhere ending.  Surely this had a VHS release?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2008 - 11:52 »

First I've heard of this, though I'm no expert on Hayers' output and I'm sure Grant's probably right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.