• 21 Feb 2020 - 07:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eyes Without A Face / Les Yeux Sans Visage (Georges Franju, 1960)  (Read 3622 times)

Fraser

Possibly one of my favourite movies. This flick is a black and white French horror gem. Visucally the movie is striking and the use of make up and settings make this beautiful and haunting at the same time. The acting is world class and the storyline is human and horrific. I urge anyone who has not seen this movie to get it instantly.

Interestingly Bruno Mattie made a film of the same name, though his film is completely different is is a quite good movie a modern Giallo.

I think this film would be enjoyed by fans of The Diabolical Doctor Z.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
Re: Eyes with out a face.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2008 - 07:41 »

The Criterion disc is the way to go on this one.  It even has Franju's BLOOD OF THE BEASTS short film.  The DVD makes me want to track down Maurice Jarre's score (one of the few memorable Jarre scores as far as I'm concerned though I'm only familiar with his nondescript American work).

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

The Criterion disc is great. I had a builder round the day I got mine through the post years back. He walked through the room as I was watching a particularly gruesome sequence of Blood of the Beasts. Needless to say, he couldn't leave fast enough. I wish more Franju was available.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

zykl0nb

I saw Franju's JUDEX a few years ago, it's definitely deserving of a DVD release.

Joe D

I think a lot of credit for the atmosphere of this film should go to Eugen Schufftan, the cinematographer. Ecc re: Maurice Jarre, check out his score for Sundays & Cybele, I think it's great.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films

I wish more Franju was available.

How about these Ben?

Link: Judex + Nuits rouges

Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

prospero

jut got "Eyes without a Face" from Optimum, it's dead cheap at amazon.co.uk. the only extra is an excerpt of the "cinema of our time" series that was shown on arte in the nineties.
Sadly the image quality isn't the best. lots of artefacts, though the picture is bright and sharp otherwise. I wonder if the Criterion disc is better?

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

jut got "Eyes without a Face" from Optimum, it's dead cheap at amazon.co.uk. the only extra is an excerpt of the "cinema of our time" series that was shown on arte in the nineties.
Sadly the image quality isn't the best. lots of artefacts, though the picture is bright and sharp otherwise. I wonder if the Criterion disc is better?

Here are some caps from the Criterion disc (too lazy to make my own): http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews5/eyeswithoutaface.htm

Also, the Eyecatcher (German?) DVD features the English dub track as well as the French track (no English subs, though).

prospero

thanks!
someone's made me a copy of the Criterion disc, but I wondered if the original, without the compression of a DVD-R, might look better. The screencaps look great, though. 
should've bought the US disc....  :o

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Screengrabs from the German Eyecatcher DVD...

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 35 queries.