• 12 Jul 2020 - 21:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fansubs...  (Read 21088 times)

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
Re: Fansubs...
« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2008 - 08:00 »

As somebody who has paid subtitling houses to create subtitle files, I know that they employ translators with knowledge of each particular region's dialect. It's not cheap either!
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2008 - 08:16 »

Luca and DjangoLi hope you don't mind me asking but how come you guys are so good at doing these subtitle projects? Obviously you guys are fluent in Italian and know how to use the subtitling software...

Are you both of Italian origin but now living in the UK?

Thanks for the kind words mate!. Brief bit of jackanory time I'm afraid:
I was born and grew up in London but have always been around languages. My family are Turkish, though embarrasingly, I can't speak it very well!. However, I understand Turkish perfectly and in fact my first foray into subtitling was for a Turkish crime film in which my subs were about 95% accurate according to my father!
With Italian, I only started studying it as a language during the past year. I only have a basic understanding but I can get the gist of what's going on. Where I don't understand something, I'll ask my girlfriend who is fluent and I also work with a Sicilian guy and a girl from Milan, so I batter them with words and phrases on a regular basis!
As Mark says, regional dialects are a problem, so thank God I had the Sicilian guy from work to help out with 'Man on his Knees' which is set in Palermo. There were a lot of phrases that had been lost in transaltion in the dub/Herbrew print.
I've been cheating with Italian films really as I've always had an English source to refer to should I get stuck but hopefully in about a years time, I'll be able to subtitle a Giallo or Euro Crime from scratch like I'm able to with Turkish films.  ::)

Linus

« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2008 - 22:11 »

Please do some subs of turkish movies. There are so many turksih action/adventure movies that would   be great to se with subs.
Luca and DjangoLi hope you don't mind me asking but how come you guys are so good at doing these subtitle projects? Obviously you guys are fluent in Italian and know how to use the subtitling software...

Are you both of Italian origin but now living in the UK?

Thanks for the kind words mate!. Brief bit of jackanory time I'm afraid:
I was born and grew up in London but have always been around languages. My family are Turkish, though embarrasingly, I can't speak it very well!. However, I understand Turkish perfectly and in fact my first foray into subtitling was for a Turkish crime film in which my subs were about 95% accurate according to my father!
With Italian, I only started studying it as a language during the past year. I only have a basic understanding but I can get the gist of what's going on. Where I don't understand something, I'll ask my girlfriend who is fluent and I also work with a Sicilian guy and a girl from Milan, so I batter them with words and phrases on a regular basis!
As Mark says, regional dialects are a problem, so thank God I had the Sicilian guy from work to help out with 'Man on his Knees' which is set in Palermo. There were a lot of phrases that had been lost in transaltion in the dub/Herbrew print.
I've been cheating with Italian films really as I've always had an English source to refer to should I get stuck but hopefully in about a years time, I'll be able to subtitle a Giallo or Euro Crime from scratch like I'm able to with Turkish films.  ::)

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2008 - 23:26 »

Quote from Linus - Please do some subs of turkish movies. There are so many turksih action/adventure movies that would   be great to se with subs.

No problem mate. For me Turkish films are a lot easier to translate than Italian. Were there any Turkish films in particular that you'd liked to see subbed Linus?

Linus

« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2008 - 05:52 »

Quote from Linus - Please do some subs of turkish movies. There are so many turksih action/adventure movies that would   be great to se with subs.

No problem mate. For me Turkish films are a lot easier to translate than Italian. Were there any Turkish films in particular that you'd liked to see subbed Linus?
Oh there are so many Turkish films I would like see with subs. Cetin Inanc's crazy movies from the 80's like Vhasi Khan etc. Yilmaz Köksal films like Belaya Bayilirim, Hos Memo. Nihat Yigit's martial arts films. Crime with Cüneyt Arkin.

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2008 - 09:29 »

I don't have the depth of knowledge of a lot of members on this list, but I'd agree with Jonny about the Giraldi films... Cavallone's SPELL would be good as well, especially as there's supposed to be a nice, new Italian-only DVD available. Perhaps AFRIKA too?

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2008 - 13:56 »

Jumpin Jimminy'

The feedback here is incredible, thanks to everyone for their comments. I'm in an internet cafe at the moment so I can't write too much (...it's this damned keyboard, I've never seen anything like it?!)

I'll post the subs for Anima Persa (which were not done by me...I'll credit the guy who did them when I post them.)

I have 'Io Ho Paura' here - I'll get on to that one in a few days (visiting the in-laws and a lack of pharmaceuticals does wonders for these subtitle projects, believe me)

The four I mentioned at the start of this thread are all done...but there's at least a few lines, here and there, that I need to verify back home. Consider them finished but I won't upload them for at least a week and a half. As a few people have observed, it's the dialects that are most problematic...but certainly not impossible to overcome. I speak Italian fluently but I was born and raised in London so apart from the odd bits of Sicilian or Roman dialect which my mother taught us I have to check with them when some dialect pops up (Or my older brother whose knowledge of Italian language is much better than mine.) The only reason I speak Italian fluently is because my mother, to this day, still speaks to me in Italian (whereas I reply in English.) It's a good way to learn a language fluently but it does have it's drawbacks...Having inherited the Roman dialect unwittingly from my mother, often, when I'm in Italy, people genuinely look at me like a lunatic (moreover, a liar!) when I tell them I'm actually English! It still happens to this day... I only realised I had this Roman accent in my late teens/early twenties.

The Corbucci films I'll look for in Rome... I passed them up when they got released on DVD for some reason but I remember they were everywhere. No doubt I'll have to rope in the elders for that one, it's going to be littered with dialect as mentioned by Luca.

La Morte Risale a Ieri Sera - My favourite Tessari film by far. You could almost shed a tear for Raf Vallone's character in the final reel. I did pick up the Italian DVD (which uses the title taken from the book it's based on 'I Milanesi Uccidono a Mezzanotte/The Milanese kill at Midnight') but I was sorely disappointed with the print which was no different to the CVR (?..I think) Italian VHS. If anyone has a 1st gen rip of that VHS I think it may prove to be a better source. Does anyone have the VHS here? I've been looking for a decent copy of this film for a looooooooong time.

A... come assassino - Dario from CG (The upstanding gent I have to credit as getting me into this subtitling adventure...) Has a copy of this one I should be grabbing from the site when I get back.

Trhauma - I've got a copy here...Not sure on the quality/source. I'll have a look later.

Illustrious Corpses - Another one I dont mind looking at...notably because it looks like a great movie and ive been meaning to watch it since I bought the dvd years ago!

I ragazzi della Roma violenta same as Thrauma - I'm sure I've got a copy here....I will have look at it.

Something totally random...for a laugh I started subbing an early Fulci comedy, it's mostly visual and provides some light relief from all the Giallo's I've subbed. I also don't think any of his early comedies have ever been seen in English friendly version. (Altho' I do have an old Fletcher/Techno sleeve for one which looks like it was dubbed into English). More later...I have to run...

"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2008 - 18:17 »

Quoted from DjangiLi - La Morte Risale a Ieri Sera - My favourite Tessari film by far. You could almost shed a tear for Raf Vallone's character in the final reel. I did pick up the Italian DVD (which uses the title taken from the book it's based on 'I Milanesi Uccidono a Mezzanotte/The Milanese kill at Midnight') but I was sorely disappointed with the print which was no different to the CVR (?..I think) Italian VHS. If anyone has a 1st gen rip of that VHS I think it may prove to be a better source. Does anyone have the VHS here? I've been looking for a decent copy of this film for a looooooooong time.

Hey Django, I have to say, this is all very exciting stuff mate. I have an original VHS of La Morte Risale a Ieri Sera, it's the CVR tape and it's superb quality! I'll send you a copy in return for a PAL Io Ho Paura if you like mate? I have Io Ho Paura (I love this film!) but I've just remembered that my Universal Italian VHS tape is NTSC, so I wouldn't be able to copy it in order to attach your subs!.
Give me a shout if your interested. Thanks!  :P

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2008 - 18:25 »

Something totally random...for a laugh I started subbing an early Fulci comedy, it's mostly visual and provides some light relief from all the Giallo's I've subbed. I also don't think any of his early comedies have ever been seen in English friendly version. (Altho' I do have an old Fletcher/Techno sleeve for one which looks like it was dubbed into English). More later...I have to run...

can you post the sleeve at all mate?

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2008 - 17:20 »

For your discerning pleaure, English subtitles for:

I ragazzi della Roma violenta

http://rapidshare.com/files/109280491/I.Ragazzi.della.Roma.Violenta.Milli-Savino.1976.XviD-iTA.rar.html

The source for this one (I'm about 90% sure) is the Nocturno/Shendene VHS released to news-stands in Italy way back when. The print is excellent...I had the VHS but sold that a long time ago, I got the rip (from the same VHS) from eMule a couple of years ago.

Luca;

RE: Io Ho Paura. Agreed...I've been glued to this one.

I've subbed the first hour already. It's taking a little longer because (a) it's almost 2 hours long and (b) it's very dialogue heavy. I'll be posting it sometime soon... The print I have is excellent; it looks to be from a digital RAI broadcast and it opens with the Paramount logo. I got it from eMule a few years ago.

RE: La more risale a ieri sera I'll try my luck on eBay if I don't forget. Cheers anyway.

I've already sent them via PM but if anyone wants them, here are McDucks subs for Anima Persa (Any and all credit for these goes to him...)

http://rapidshare.com/files/109280406/Anima.Persa.1977.DVDRip.XViD-IH.rar.html

I'm off for a bit now...I've got about six or seven films done that need tidying. As mentioned, expect them in a few weeks, along with a few more.

"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2008 - 17:35 »

Thanks DjangoLi, I will be working on finishing my fan DVD of ANIMA PERSA tonight.  ::)

liquidgoblin

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2008 - 17:11 »

hi all

adding to those titles awaiting subs i can add

Assassino Senza Volto - Low quality tv rip
Circuito Chiuso
Piu Tardi Claire , Piu Tardi
A..come Assassino
Le Notte Della Violenza
Il Baco da Seta

merlin if u can send me your address via pm either here or on CG i'd prefer just to send u the disks .

ps its dario btw

http://rapidshare.com/files/111079542/Cadaveri_eccellenti__Francesco_Rosi_.srt.srt.html 

Illustrious Corpses   i forget who did these   

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2008 - 22:04 »

Thanks for the Illustrious Corpses .srt upload mate! Much appreciated!  ;)

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2008 - 22:50 »

hi all

adding to those titles awaiting subs i can add

Assassino Senza Volto - Low quality tv rip
Circuito Chiuso
Piu Tardi Claire , Piu Tardi
A..come Assassino
Le Notte Della Violenza
Il Baco da Seta

I agree with you very much! As for CIRCUITO CHIUSO there already is an English-subbed version around from LFVW. However, I don't think the subs were done my LFVW. They are burned in and I believe this print is probably from a TV screening. Doesn't look too bad but it's too dark in several scenes. I don't know how it compares to the Greek tape as I haven't seen it. Some screenshots:

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2008 - 08:21 »

Another one I'd love to see get some decent sub treatment is Il Fiore Dai Petali D'Acciaio/Flower With Petals of Steel.
I have the subbed Video Search of Miami version but the print they used is awful. I was thinking of doing this again with my widescreen Italian language print - but even that is average quality at best. Anyone got a decent print or 1st generation VHS rip of this film?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 34 queries.