• 27 Jan 2021 - 02:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Orchids for Miss Blandish (St. John Legh Clowes, 1948)  (Read 2354 times)

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

I've just finished reading James Hadley Chase's No Orchids for Miss Blandish and have Robert Aldrich's Anchor Bay R1 NTSC version of the film, THE GRISSOM GANG (1971).  :)

Anyome seen this 1948 British film?  There's a R2 PAL disc put out by Dd Home Entertainment.

Any comments on the film and/or the DVD presentation?

Chase's novel is right up there with the best hardboiled fiction of Dashiell Hammett, Jim Thompson, Derek Raymond or the  Roman Durs of Georges Simenon.

"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
Re: No Orchids for Miss Blandish (St. John Legh Clowes, 1948)
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2008 - 16:39 »

Yes, I had a recording of BLANDISH from TV many moons ago. It was a highly controversial movie in its day (and so was the book).

From the imdb:
The film caused huge controversy in the UK after it was passed with an uncut 'A' rating on account of the violence and rape implied in the story, leading to critic 'Dilys Powell' stating that the film be "branded with a "D" certificate for disgusting". This led to various councils banning the film completely and politicians demanding an investigation into the running of the BBFC, and censor Sir Sidney Harris was forced to issue an apology for having "failed to protect the public".

Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
Re: No Orchids for Miss Blandish (St. John Legh Clowes, 1948)
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2008 - 17:24 »

Yes, I had a recording of BLANDISH from TV many moons ago.

Did you watch it?  Remember if you liked it, etc.?  Is it in the same leaugue of films as BRIGHTON ROCK, THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE, ODD MAN OUT, etc.

Just wonderin'?

I'm gonna pick it up anyways, lessen someone says that the Dd Home Entertainment DVD is a travesty.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.