• 29 May 2020 - 20:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Masters of Cinema Collection  (Read 2886 times)

Richard C

The Masters of Cinema Collection
« on: 07 May 2008 - 12:10 »

Anyone collect this series of films?:

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalogue/

Amazon currently have reduced a number of the discs to a £10:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_8321_10905391_pe_11/?docId=1000165713

I've got a few myself already - TARTUFFE, THE FACE OF ANOTHER, ONIBABA, THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS, VENGEANCE IS MINE, PUNISHMENT PARK and KWAIDAN.

I've also rented and enjoyed the following: PITFALL, ASPHALT, METROPOLIS, SPIONE, KURONEKO, THE NAKED ISLAND, NIGHTMARE ALLEY, THE IDIOT and FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES. I've slapped a few more on but may pick a couple up whilst they are "cheap".

Any of the others worth picking up?

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
Re: The Masters of Cinema Collection
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2008 - 14:15 »

Living in the USA, I own quite a few of the films from the Masters of cinema (MOC) list, but put out by Criterion in the States: ONIBABA, F FOR FAKE, THE FACE OF ANOTHER, UGETSU, PITFALL, METROPOLIS, THE IDIOT, VENGEANCE IS MINE and GENERAL IDI AMIN.  I also own a Fox Noir R1 NTSC of NIGHTMARE ALLEY with with lots of nice extras, a New Yorker R1 NTSC of PUNISHMENT PARK and an Anchor Bay R1 NTSC of FANTASTIC PLANET.

That said, I do have the following Eureka MOC discs,  KWAIDAN, ASSASSINATION, KURONEKO,THE NAKED ISLAND, ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS, LA NOTTE.

KWAIDAN, ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS, LA NOTTE are nicer versions than the US releases and ASSASSINATION, KURONEKO and THE NAKED ISLAND are not available in a US release.  I'll probably also pick up JP Mellville's LE SILENCE DE LA MER soon.

I'd like to pick up a copy of THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS, but my understanding was that Eureka lost the rights to put this one out, so it's OOP.

I was happily surprised to see that my Eureka Masters of Cinema of KWAIDAN was NTSC instead of PAL.  How often does this series release a disc NTSC instead of PAL?
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Mr.Jagil

« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2008 - 16:45 »

I have Time Masters and Gandahar, and i am very satisfied. The extras are awesome.

Richard C

« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2008 - 13:01 »

Living in the USA, I own quite a few of the films from the Masters of cinema (MOC) list, but put out by Criterion in the States: ONIBABA, F FOR FAKE, THE FACE OF ANOTHER, UGETSU, PITFALL, METROPOLIS, THE IDIOT, VENGEANCE IS MINE and GENERAL IDI AMIN.  I also own a Fox Noir R1 NTSC of NIGHTMARE ALLEY with with lots of nice extras, a New Yorker R1 NTSC of PUNISHMENT PARK and an Anchor Bay R1 NTSC of FANTASTIC PLANET.

That said, I do have the following Eureka MOC discs,  KWAIDAN, ASSASSINATION, KURONEKO,THE NAKED ISLAND, ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS, LA NOTTE.

KWAIDAN, ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS, LA NOTTE are nicer versions than the US releases and ASSASSINATION, KURONEKO and THE NAKED ISLAND are not available in a US release.  I'll probably also pick up JP Mellville's LE SILENCE DE LA MER soon.

I'd like to pick up a copy of THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS, but my understanding was that Eureka lost the rights to put this one out, so it's OOP.

I was happily surprised to see that my Eureka Masters of Cinema of KWAIDAN was NTSC instead of PAL.  How often does this series release a disc NTSC instead of PAL?
To be honest I assumed they were all PAL discs so I don't really know the answer to that one.

How do the US and UK discs compare with F For Fake? DVD Beaver only makes a comparison between the Criterion disc and Japanese one. I'd like to own more Criterion titles but they can be a little on the pricey side (that said MoC ones aren't much cheaper full priced).

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2008 - 19:55 »

The link below says that Criterions F FOR FAKE has bee remastered and that the Criterion release is also two discs with lots of extras.

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=288#feature
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Richard C

« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2008 - 08:21 »

The link below says that Criterions F FOR FAKE has bee remastered and that the Criterion release is also two discs with lots of extras.

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=288#feature

Thanks maybe I'll just rent the MoC cinema one rather than buy it. At the moment I've got 3 of their titles on rental - THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (which I've watched about 30 minutes of and got bored - will attempt to watch the rest this weekend), FRANCESCO GIULLARE DI DIO and SCANDAL.

Richard C

« Reply #6 on: 07 Jun 2008 - 16:45 »

Watched John Ford's THE PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND recently and enjoyed it despite patches of melodrama. I'm ashamed to say that I don't think I've actually seen any of Ford's epics and going off the strength of this "minor" I think I need to rectify that. Also currently got F FOR FAKE to watch and whilst I think the Criterion disc is better this is a decent version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 34 queries.