• 20 Sep 2018 - 01:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)  (Read 2314 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
« on: 24 Aug 2007 - 08:40 »

Tartan are due to release this Bergman classic on a commemorative DVD release and Blu-Ray disc:

Ingmar Bergman’s THE SEVENTH SEAL: 50th ANNIVERSARY DIGITALLY REMASTERED EDITION

One of the greatest films ever made, THE SEVENTH SEAL has inspired an endless number of filmmakers over five decades and his recent death has served to highlight his extraordinary career and legacy. . Now, fifty years on, this lasting Cannes award-winning film has been remastered in all its cinematic glory for the 21st century.  Its classic scene with Max Von Sydow playing chess with the Grim Reaper has left its indelible mark on memory. 

Set in the Middle Ages at the time of the Black Death, it remains a powerful allegory for man’s search for the meaning of life.  The battle-wearied knight Antonius Block (Max Von Sydow) returns from the Crusades, disillusioned by his experiences.  When Death appears, he challenges him to a game of chess to determine his fate. As the game progresses, it takes its toll on the troupe he’s protecting, and  with the threat of  imminent destruction, the fate of the entire community is at stake.

THE SEVENTH SEAL marks the emergence of the Swedish master of cinema, Ingmar Bergman, who has influenced directors as diverse as Woody Allen, Terry Gilliam, Spielberg and Michael Winterbottom. The scenes of the chess match and the Dance of Death have even found affectionate parodies in Monty Python, Bill’s and Ted’s Bogus Journey and even French & Saunders.   It’s a film that explores Bergman’s own crisis of faith at a time but equally, it was made at a fearful era when the shadow of atomic war offered chilling prospects for the future of mankind. It also helped launch the international career of Max Von Sydow, who has gone on to appear in The Exorcist, Flash Gordon and Minority Report.

Originally released in 1957, the film has been digitally remastered for this DVD release and include an English-dubbed soundtrack option, available for the first time in the UK. It is also released on Blu-ray.  THE SEVENTH SEAL remains one of the most influential films and The Guardian includes it as one of the 1000 films you must see before you die.  A timeless masterpiece from a true cinematic giant.

Original academy ratio. DVD extras include: original theatrical trailer; English language option.).
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jens Thomsen

Re: The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2007 - 15:06 »

Cool. Looking forward to see what the new transfer looks like. The Criterion is allright, but it is also quite old and probably could be improved upon now.

Daliah Lavi

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2007 - 13:26 »

Having never seen this, I feel it's my duty to see it ASAP.
And as luck would have it, it's screening at the Prince Charles Cinema here in London next week, result!

http://www.princecharlescinema.com/

The Hunchback

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2007 - 18:51 »

The only watchable Bergman film IMO.

death_proof_reg

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2007 - 20:49 »

The two that were won on here as a competition sounded VERY watchable.

The Hunchback

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2007 - 03:34 »

Which one's were they?

I shouldn't talk as I've only seen a few of his movies.

SEVENTH SEAL just happened to be the best of the lot, by far.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2007 - 08:32 »

Which one's were they?

I shouldn't talk as I've only seen a few of his movies.

Quite...

The two Reg was referring to were SAWDUST AND TINSEL and THE DEVIL'S EYE.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2008 - 14:43 »

The only watchable Bergman film IMO.

There's quite a few, IMHO, Bergman films that genre fans will enjoy in addition to THE SEVENTH SEAL.

LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT is a remake of Bergman's THE VIRGIN SPRING.

HOUR OF THE WOLF is a very surreal horror film with vampiric elements.

PERSONA is the tale of an actress who has a nervous breakdown, becoomes mute, and goes to an isolated seaside home at winter-time to recooperate with a nurse.  Once there, in this isolated environment, their personalities start taking on elements of each other.  Quite disturbing stuff.

THE SILENCE is an eerie story of two sisters and one of their sons, traveling back to Sweden from a vacation abroad who are forced to have a prolonged stay in a hotel in a foreign country (everyone there speaks a language that is complete gobbledy-gook) when one of the sisters becomes ill.   Their stay there includes bizarre encounters with a troupe of carnival dwarves and other weird characters.  There's also perverse undercurrent running through this film that deals with with masturbation, couplings in churches and lesbianism. 

WILD STRAWBERRIES is a film about an old man in his late 70s reliving his entire life in a single day through surreal flashbacks.

SHAME is a war film in which a couple tries to avoid a brutal civil war by going to their remote farm on a small island to wait things out, but their peaceful existence is shattered when soldiers violently invade their home.

"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 20 queries.