• 24 Nov 2020 - 12:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: British crime films  (Read 50455 times)

Dorado

British crime films
« on: 09 Jul 2007 - 19:19 »

Besides all the great Italian crime films and those they did in France the British also did a few top-notch crime films.

Most noticeably is probably my personal favourite Get Carter starring Michael Caine and Sitting Target starring Oliver Reed.

I’m no expert on British crime films though. Therefore it would be great if some of you in here could name some British crime films that come to your mind.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: British crime films
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 19:26 »

The two 'Sweeney' films are pretty decent.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 19:59 »

There was a whole raft of 60s and 70s crime flicks including Michael Apted's THE SQUEEZE, Michael Tuchner's VILLAIN and the aforementioned SITTING TARGET made by Douglas Hickox - I'm a huge fan of SITTING TARGET - Oliver Reed puts in a great performance and there's some great use of South London locations. My knowledge of Bit crime flicks is somewhat lacking - it's something I really need to explore a little more.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

LANZETTA

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 00:06 »

My favourite British crime films usually involve Michael Caine including THE ITALIAN JOB,GET CARTER,THE IPCRESS FILE,FUNERAL IN BERLIN,BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN,GAMBIT and THE BLACK WINDMILL.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 05:41 »

The two 'Sweeney' films are pretty decent.

I'd actually claim that the first is better than Get Carter.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 08:12 »

My favourite British crime films usually involve Michael Caine including THE ITALIAN JOB,GET CARTER,THE IPCRESS FILE,FUNERAL IN BERLIN,BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN,GAMBIT and THE BLACK WINDMILL.

Have you seen PULP? It was made by Mike Hodges, the year after GET CARTER and features Caine as a writer in Spain. It's not as good as GET CARTER - let's be fair, there are not many British films that are, but it's still a pleasing little flick...

I wasn't overly keen on THE BLACK WINDMILL - considering it was directed by one of my heroes - Don Siegel, I found it really lacking.

THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY has to eb one of the best British crime films, and is right up there with GET CARTER, IMO. Neil Jordan's MONA LISA is also a great film.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

LANZETTA

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 12:49 »

Have you seen PULP? It was made by Mike Hodges, the year after GET CARTER and features Caine as a writer in Spain. It's not as good as GET CARTER - let's be fair, there are not many British films that are, but it's still a pleasing little flick...
Yes this was on not so long ago but i can't remember it all that well. ???

I've got fond nostalgic memories of BLACK WINDMILL which used to be show regularly a couple of decades ago and those windmills are in the same Sussex county that i live in.Luckily after many years of waiting i managed to record it from ITV4 very recently.I'm sure there's other cruelly neglected British crimes that don't get aired.I also used to enjoy Caine in SILVER BEARS so hopefully i'll get lucky with that one too. :D

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 13:03 »

SILVER BEARS was recently released on UK DVD by Optimum - I've never seen the film.

paperbag

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 13:14 »

Theres one with Michael Caine and Bob Hoskins called MONA LISA some people say its better than THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 13:18 »

Theres one with Michael Caine and Bob Hoskins called MONA LISA some people say its better than THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY.

MONA LISA is a great film, Paperbag but it's most definitely not better than LONG GOOD FRIDAY, mate. THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY stands as the best British gangster film, in my opinion. MONA LISA on the other hand, is a lot lower-key and character driven drama. Definitely worth seeking out though.

paperbag

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 13:22 »

Yeah I need to see it... THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY is in my top 10

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 13:42 »

Yeah I need to see it... THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY is in my top 10

I would never have guessed, looking at your avatar pic!

LANZETTA

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 14:26 »

SILVER BEARS was recently released on UK DVD by Optimum - I've never seen the film.
Thanks for that information Comapnero. ::)

Its a typical Michael Caine comedy thriller in which he plays the loveable crook who sets up a Swiss bank as part of a money laundering scam.Its not exactly classic stuff but still entertaining if you like this type of film. :'(

Caine and Hoskins are brilliant in MONA LISA but i can't remember LONG GOOD FRIDAY.

Surely the best British crime thriller of recent years is SEXY BEAST.  :)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 15:15 »

Caine and Hoskins are brilliant in MONA LISA but i can't remember LONG GOOD FRIDAY.

Surely the best British crime thriller of recent years is SEXY BEAST.  :)

SEXY BEAST is superb. Brilliant film. You really need to see LONG GOOD FRIDAY again, mate.

LANZETTA

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 15:30 »

You really need to see LONG GOOD FRIDAY again, mate.
Yeah i need to pull my finger out,its on tv enough times. ;D

The same goes for THE THING which i've never watched(i'm a big ALIEN fan.) ???
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 8.212 seconds with 41 queries.