• 08 Jul 2020 - 23:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: British crime films  (Read 48342 times)

Andrew Monroe

Re: British crime films
« Reply #90 on: 24 Oct 2008 - 13:18 »

Rather than start a thread for it, I`ll just mention here that I saw CLOUDBURST (1951), the first Hammer film done at Bray Studios. Robert Preston stars as a former Resistance fighter/codebreaker whose pregnant wife is run over by two bandits after they`ve just killed a night watchman during a botched robbery. Thanks to his former fellow soldiers and commando training, he`s able to track down the guilty couple (a washed up boxer and his girl) and makes his plans for bloody vengeance. A persistent Inspector is the only obstacle in his way...Really enjoyed this film, it packs quite an emotional wallop. The grief stricken Preston, with only the hope of killing the destructors of his future to keep him going, isn`t above torture to get answers. Ironically his wife had once been captured by the Gestapo and tortured when they were looking for him. An all around solid cast and quite violent, this is a terrific noirish film.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #91 on: 27 Jan 2009 - 21:36 »

...but my favorite British Crime films are PERFORMANCE, GET CARTER, THE HIT, THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY, GANGSTER No1, MONA LISA and SEXY BEAST.  I also like CROUPIER, I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD and LAYER CAKE.

Criterion will be releasing THE HIT on April 28, 2009.  :) 

The single DVD release will list for $29.95 US, with a 1.77:1 anamorphic transfer.

http://www.criterion.com/films/1285

Extras include:

A new, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director of photography Mike Molloy;

Commentary featuring director Stephen Frears and actors John Hurt and Tim Roth;

Parkinson One-to-One: “Terence Stamp,” a 1988 television interview with the actor;

Original theatrical trailer; and

A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Graham Fuller.

YIPEE!  ::)

"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

fdsmedia

« Reply #92 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 04:56 »

I have the Swedish DVD... it's quite OK and I won't need to upgrade. :-)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #93 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 08:32 »

I have the shitty, non-anamorphic release from Artisan, so I'd like to upgrage.

Talking of Frears, I watched the excellent DIRTY PRETTY THINGS for the second time, last night. It's a great film and was written by Steven Knight who would later scribe EASTERN PROMISES, the film stars Chiwetel Ejiofor and AMELIE's Audrey Tautou as illegal imigrants working at a London hotel. Definitely worth a watch if you've not seen it. Chris Menges' cinematography is gorgeous and almost giallo-like.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #94 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 10:29 »

Talking of Frears
Mr.Jolly lives next door ::)

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture
« Reply #95 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 12:57 »

The below message was over on the Lee Van Cleef web board:
http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=148193;article=15134;title=Lee%20Van%20Cleef%20Web%20Board
---------------------------
Hello,

If anyone is interested i have just noticed. The Hard Way with Lee Van Cleef and Patrick McGoohan has been passed by the British board of Film Censors for DVD release in the UK. should come out shortly

All the best

David D.
----------------------------

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #96 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 13:32 »

Talking of Frears, I watched the excellent DIRTY PRETTY THINGS for the second time, last night. It's a great film and was written by Steven Knight who would later scribe EASTERN PROMISES.

I'm not a Londoner, of course, haven't even vistited yet  :-[ , but I always of EASTERN PROMISES and DIRTY PRETTY THINGS as a good double feature to watch about the immigrant experience (of the many) in London.  Am I off-base?

Interesting that they were both written by the same person.  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #97 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 14:38 »

Talking of Frears, I watched the excellent DIRTY PRETTY THINGS for the second time, last night. It's a great film and was written by Steven Knight who would later scribe EASTERN PROMISES.

I'm not a Londoner, of course, haven't even vistited yet  :-[ , but I always of EASTERN PROMISES and DIRTY PRETTY THINGS as a good double feature to watch about the immigrant experience (of the many) in London.  Am I off-base?

Interesting that they were both written by the same person.  :-X

I'd say that both films are fairly accurate but only speak of a small minority of the immigrants that live in London, to be honest. While there's certainly a believable, social-political edge, they certainly work a lot better as entertainments.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #98 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 15:28 »

I'd say that both films are fairly accurate but only speak of a small minority of the immigrants that live in London, to be honest.

That's why I wrote (of the many).  I'm sure there are as many immigrant experiences in London as there are immigrants.  :-X
SNAPORAZ!

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #99 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 17:54 »

The Hard Way with Lee Van Cleef and Patrick McGoohan has been passed by the British board of Film Censors for DVD release in the UK. should come out shortly

Anybody know who might be putting this out? Marc? Anyone?

Think it'll be a boutique label? I have some killer artwork for the film I'd be willing to scan hi-res and send if I can get connected...

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #100 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 18:19 »

Sound & Media according to the BBFC website.

BBFC-The Hard Way
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #101 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 19:15 »

Thanks, Kev.

Sound & Media seems to be the same company as Network DVD.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #102 on: 28 Jan 2009 - 22:27 »

Thanks, Kev.

Sound & Media seems to be the same company as Network DVD.

They are, mate.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #103 on: 29 Jan 2009 - 09:47 »

That is good news, Network makes this the best chance we have of getting a solid transfer and extras of all the UK DVD companies at present.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #104 on: 29 Jan 2009 - 20:18 »

Anyone have a contact at Network DVD?

Never mind; I heard from them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 34 queries.