• 09 Jul 2020 - 18:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which European country is King of the cult film?  (Read 4329 times)

I Love Sandwiches

Re: Which European country is King of the cult film?
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2008 - 20:42 »

Thanks for that Jonny. I will check them out.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2008 - 21:00 »

I'm quite partial to the cinema of Croatia...

BOLLOCKS! It's Italy all the way for me too, baby!

Don't mind French films and have a soft spot for some German films (particularly Herzog) but outside of the American and British, Italian films represent the biggest part of my collection.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2008 - 05:36 »

Italy and Great Britain.

In a lot of cases, I much prefer American cult films. Without Roger Corman, there probably wouldn't have been cult films or at least not as we know them today. Italy (later) did too many copycat movies as opposed to something original although I would go as far to say Fulci had more to do with the influx of Italian zombie movies than DAWN OF THE DEAD. And the cannibal sub genre was strictly an Italian creation that inspired other countries to follow suit; Indonesia and HK included.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2008 - 08:35 »

I watched a Belmondo film recently - Le Professionnel, it was so "fromage" (cheesy but great) that i have to put France around 3rd mark.
Dig that groove baby.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2008 - 09:02 »

I watched a Belmondo film recently - Le Professionnel, it was so "fromage" (cheesy but great) that i have to put France around 3rd mark.
have you seen PEUR SUR LA VILLE (FEAR IN THE CITY) Broonage, i'd say it was the best of the Belmondo's that i have managed to see so far.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2008 - 09:11 »

You know I've not seen a Belmondo film, least one I can remember.

I did see a clip the other day where he's in the back of a tipper truck which has backed up to the edge of a massive drop. It starts dumping it's load out and Belmondo is stuck as it tips up and he starts sliding out the back, then he drops out the back and falls down this massive slope with rocks and shit bouncing right by his head as he tumbles down...

Which film's that? Looks fucking nuts!
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2008 - 09:18 »

European
Italy, by far! 
Then Great Britain, France, Spain and Germany.

Non-European
The United States with Japan a close second.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2008 - 09:46 »

I did see a clip the other day where he's in the back of a tipper truck which has backed up to the edge of a massive drop. It starts dumping it's load out and Belmondo is stuck as it tips up and he starts sliding out the back, then he drops out the back and falls down this massive slope with rocks and shit bouncing right by his head as he tumbles down...

Not sure what that is, mate. I would certainly recommend PEUR SUR LA VILLE and LA PROFESSIONAL whole-heartedly. HOLD-UP and LE MARGINALE are good too.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2008 - 09:54 »

Never seen any other Belmondo films. Although I did catch a film on French TV last week for 20 mins where he's a soldier fighting Nazis.

My girlfriend rolls her eyes when I mention his films. In France, his movies are regarded as silly more than anything else. She also said that "it's the sort of movie my grandmother likes". Hehe... I like what i've seen.
Dig that groove baby.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2008 - 10:06 »

Not sure what that is, mate.

OK I did  a bit of searching and it's 'The Burglars' aka 'Le Casse' (Henri Verneuil, 1971)

Quote from imdb...

"One scene in particular shows the "hero" being hidden in a dump-truck, which discharge its payload (including Belmondo) on a slope going down to a mine. You can actually see Belmondo stumble down the slope among debris and rocks and once down the slope stand up, dust off his trousers and walk away. In a single shot. Like Jackie Chan or Colt Seavers"

I've got to see this film!  :P
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2008 - 10:14 »

I've got the Alfa Digital bootleg of BURGLARS but haven't seen it - also got the UK quad poster too.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2008 - 10:16 »

Fucking hell! Now you've mentioned it I've realised I've got it too! Haha! Result! 

It's French Cinema night in my house tonight! :P

Richard C

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2008 - 12:26 »

I like a lot of the stuff some of the Spanish directors have put out but I don't think they produced enough to eclipse the sheer scale of output from Italy and the UK in the 60s/70s. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 34 queries.