• 19 Jan 2021 - 01:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Assault (Sidney Hayers, 1971)  (Read 12859 times)

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
Assault (Sidney Hayers, 1971)
« on: 21 May 2008 - 03:50 »

Tessa (Lesley-Anne Down in her introductory performance), a student at a private girls' school, takes the shortcut through the forest known as Devil's End after school and is raped by a POV stalker.  The girl survives but is in shock and cannot speak.  The police are picking up anyone remotely suspicious because Tessa's psychiatrist Dr. Lomax (James Laurenson, credited alongside down under "and introducing" despite a recognizable small role in Ken Russell's WOMEN IN LOVE) says that the rapes could escalate to murder which happens a month later when another student slips away down the path to meet up with her boyfriend despite the school's safety precautions that no one is to go home alone.  Art teacher Julie West (Suzy Kendall), who is driving several of the girls home, notices the girl missing and they drive down the path.  When the car gets stuck in the mud, Julie sees out the back window a distorted figure that she describes later as "the devil".  Getting out of the car, she finds the body of the missing girl.  Julie's testimony about the devil is laughed off and she comes up with the idea - after being hounded by an aggressive reporter (Freddie Jones) - to leak the idea to the papers that a drawing of the killer will be published in the next issue; setting herself up as bait for the killer.

A public domain regular in the US during the days of videotape under the retitling THE CREEPERS with slasher film covers on various labels (that usually also carried THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE as THE DEVIL WALKS AT MIDNIGHT, BLOOD DEMON as CASTLE OF THE WALKING DEAD, and CREATURE FROM BLACK LAKE as DEMON OF THE LAKE) as well as more official releases under the titles ASSAULT and IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN, Sidney Hayer's thriller has always been a favorite of mine.  Despite its title and lurid retitlings that also included SATAN'S PLAYTHINGS and TOWER OF TERROR, there is no nudity (apart from some photographs) or gore (according to imdb, the film was cut in the US to avoid an X-rating but I don't see what they would've cut).  One wonders how this faired on the grindhouse circuit.  Kendall is always an enjoyable lead as is Laurenson here though Down isn't given much to do in her debut and I have to admit that although I usually enjoy Frank Finlay's performances (THE KEY, LIFEFORCE) and did so here, I didn't actually recognize him as the lead detective nor Anthony Ainley from DOCTOR WHO as Laurenson's superior.  The score is bombastic but keeps the action moving.

Network's DVD is letterboxed at 1.75:1 but non-anamorphic unfortunately.  The letterboxing reveals that the tape release of THE CREEPERS was severely cropped with the main titles blown up and squeezed though the rest of the film faired better.  Extras include a trailer (it would've been nice to see some TV spots and trailers under the other titles to see who this was advertised), photo gallery, and an episode of TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED starring Frank Finlay which I haven't watched yet.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Assault (Sidney Hayers, 1971)
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2008 - 08:26 »

I remember taking some grabs and comparing the DVD to the old British pre-cert VHS (Rank) when it first came out... Looks to me like the old UK VHS release was an unmatted, full frame transfer.

Top grab is the VHS...

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2008 - 08:53 »

I didn't think ASSAULT was a bad film, but I was underwhelmed upon  first viewing. I would say that Hayers' REVENGE and DEADLY STRANGERS are definitely superior.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2008 - 09:20 »

Two of the US releases.  The Saturn version seems more prevalent (I may or may not still have a copy).

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2008 - 12:38 »

I didn't think ASSAULT was a bad film, but I was underwhelmed upon  first viewing. I would say that Hayers' REVENGE and DEADLY STRANGERS are definitely superior.

I haven't seen DEADLY STRANGERS but REVENGE is definitely a much better film than ASSAULT (and I do like ASSAULT too).
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2008 - 12:44 »

I haven't seen DEADLY STRANGERS but REVENGE is definitely a much better film than ASSAULT (and I do like ASSAULT too).

REVENGE is excellent, isn't it, mate. It's got a gritty tone and that "anything can happen" essence, whereas ASSAULT seems a little tame by comparison.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2008 - 21:29 »

Has DEADLY STRANGERS ever been available on video/DVD?  I've only found lobby cards on eBay.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2008 - 08:23 »

'Deadly Strangers' was released on VHS in the US on the PARAGON label. That's where the copy I have comes from, I think Paul has this tape too.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2008 - 08:31 »

'Deadly Strangers' was released on VHS in the US on the PARAGON label. That's where the copy I have comes from, I think Paul has this tape too.

I have the Paragon VHS tape - bought it off eBay a while ago. Was well chuffed when I got it...

There has since been a DVD release in Spain which is 16/9, apparently but has no English options. I think Marc was toying with the idea of doing a fan dub.

the blob

• Violent Professional
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2012 - 03:13 »

Getting an R1 release from VCI in September...

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2012 - 08:10 »

Getting an R1 release from VCI in September...

16:9 enhanced too  :P

martino1705

• Almost Human
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2012 - 11:38 »

I like this film as it really is the British film that follows the giallo blueprint more than any other I have seen. The reason as a giallo fanatic that I don't love the film is Eric Rogers score, after years of watching the Carry on films I just cannot take the film seriously due the sountrack. I have still watched it 4 or 5 times and would definately recommend picking it up if you have not seen it. Revenge and Deadly Strangers are both better films as unfortunatley for me Assault will always be Carry On A Giallo.

the blob

• Violent Professional
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2012 - 14:17 »

16:9 enhanced too  :P

And it's not that bloody long ago that I bought the UK DVD.  ;D

Still, I got it really cheap used though. Strange that it wasn't on the list of Rank titles listed that VCI licensed. With Scorpion releasing Revenge and now this, I wonder if either of them have Deadly Strangers.

Does anyone else think that cover makes it look like some fantasy anime?

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2012 - 15:25 »

I've had this one for ages and haven't got around to watching it yet.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2012 - 09:44 »

some people really dig the film but I think Hayers made better, REVENGE and DEADLY STRANGERS in particular.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.