• 23 Jan 2021 - 17:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assault (Sidney Hayers, 1971)  (Read 12865 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Assault (Sidney Hayers, 1971)
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2012 - 10:15 »

some people really dig the film but I think Hayers made better, REVENGE and DEADLY STRANGERS in particular.

REVENGE is a belter, probably my favourite.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2012 - 10:23 »

some people really dig the film but I think Hayers made better, REVENGE and DEADLY STRANGERS in particular.

REVENGE is a belter, probably my favourite.

I t really is! Completely blew me away when I saw it for the first time.

I think my problem with ASSAULT is that it's quite clearly trying to wade into murky waters thematically but it's quite a restrained, almost twee delivery. A very tame film. It's still good though.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
Assault (Sidney Hayers, 1971)
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jul 2012 - 10:42 »

I've only seen Revenge out the 3 mentioned and thought it was great.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #18 on: 04 Oct 2012 - 23:06 »

Graham

• One Just Man
« Reply #19 on: 05 Oct 2012 - 13:32 »

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Assault and Revenge DVDs please? According to Amazon, Revenge is 4:3. Thanks.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #20 on: 05 Oct 2012 - 13:54 »

Looks very nice. I've still got the non-anamorphic Network DVD sitting here unwatched.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #21 on: 05 Oct 2012 - 14:12 »

I think REVENGE looks better because Scorpion left it in 4:3 (although they matted it nicely to 1.66:1). 

IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN seems to have been upconverted from 4:3 and then sharpened (zoom in on the pics, that's not JPEG compression, it's in the PNG files too).  It progressive but converted from the PAL (cover says 91 minutes, but it's actually 87 minutes like the Network disc) so instead of interlacing, you have blending of the fields during sideways movement (although its not distracting).  It looks better on my TV than my computer monitor (probably because I'm not sitting so close).  The original 2.0 mono track is there, but the 5.1 upmix is actually 5.0 (although it probably makes very little difference).  A poster on Facebook mentioned that it was odd that it had the US title and a Rank copyright.  The title looks like a film optical and not a computer-generated replacement.  While the film was released in the US by Hemisphere Pictures, the poster did say it was "Presented by The Rank Organisation".

If you want it in 16:9, it's reasonably priced, but you could probably get the same effect by adjusting the picture size or zoom options on your TV or DVD/Blu player.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #22 on: 05 Oct 2012 - 14:36 »

If you want it in 16:9, it's reasonably priced, but you could probably get the same effect by adjusting the picture size or zoom options on your TV or DVD/Blu player.
Cheers, I'll just stick to the Network one for now and pick this up down the line if I spot it cheaply enough.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #23 on: 05 Oct 2012 - 14:53 »

Cheers, I'll just stick to the Network one for now and pick this up down the line if I spot it cheaply enough.

Check VCI's own site.  They have sales sometimes.  Right now it's $11.99 there and $12.99 at Amazon ($14.99 is SRP).

IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN is part of VCI's large "The Rank Collection" line which also includes a bunch of the CARRY ON films, the Dirk Bogarde DOCTOR series, and some B&W Hammer noir films (although I'm not sure if those are Rank titles since I think VCI also licensed from some other Brtiish catalogs).  I have no idea about the quality.

They've got Michael Winner's THE SYSTEM (THE GIRL GETTERS) but DVDcompare says it's a PAL to NTSC transfer.

Graham

• One Just Man
« Reply #24 on: 05 Oct 2012 - 22:20 »

Thanks for the info on the transfers.

the blob

• Violent Professional
« Reply #25 on: 05 Oct 2012 - 23:17 »

Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. The Network DVD didn't look too bad zoomed in so I'll probably just stick with that version.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2013 - 11:44 »

I tracked down the source novel which is set in America, although it felt very English (although I couldn't help but "hear" the characters speaking with English accents since I've seen the film so many times).  A couple of the characters suspect the identity of the attacker early on (individually arriving at it of their own accord).  There are no red herring extra characters, the book doesn't even cast suspicion on the doctor/love interest as the film does.  The climax is far less elaborate.  It's a set-up rather to expose him rather than a discovery made during.  That said, it has a nice atmosphere and characters who are believably caring and concerned enough to risk their safety (and their reputations).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.