• 26 Nov 2020 - 19:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Damon's "From Cowboy to Mogul to Monster" for $1 or £1 at amazon  (Read 10704 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

Here's a bit of curious info from page 359...

(In reference to another movie Damon was starring in...)

But because it went over schedule, Corbucci decided he'd have to cast another actor as the lead in DJANGO.

Mark protested: "This is a script we worked on together. We wrote it for me to play DJANGO".

"I know", lamented Sergio, "but I have no choice. We have a start date and you're not ready. I'm sorry".

Instead of Mark "they cast a guy with piercing blue eyes whom they discovered working at a gas station", he recalls with chagrin. His name was Franco Nero.

On down a bit it says this...

Although Mark missed starring in it, at least he received a co-writer credit.

It doesn't say whether he used a pseudonym or had his name removed but I don't see Damon's name listed as one of the writers on the credits of the film.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

Although Mark missed starring in it, at least he received a co-writer credit.

It doesn't say whether he used a pseudonym or had his name removed but I don't see Damon's name listed as one of the writers on the credits of the film.

Maybe he Italianized his name for the script!  ;D
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

IL COMMISSARIO

Another interesting bit being it was Damon who got Eastwood for FOD after being begged by Leone to find him an American actor. Damon himself was offered the role of the villain by Leone after he saw him in JOHNNY ORO but his agent talked him out of it.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

Here's a bit of curious info from page 359...

(In reference to another movie Damon was starring in...)

But because it went over schedule, Corbucci decided he'd have to cast another actor as the lead in DJANGO.

Mark protested: "This is a script we worked on together. We wrote it for me to play DJANGO".

"I know", lamented Sergio, "but I have no choice. We have a start date and you're not ready. I'm sorry".

Instead of Mark "they cast a guy with piercing blue eyes whom they discovered working at a gas station", he recalls with chagrin. His name was Franco Nero.

At p. 60 of Howard Hughes' Once Upon a Time in the Italian West, Hughes writes that "Mark Damon (star of JOHNNY ORO) was slated to play Django, but Silvia Dionisio (the wife of Rugerro Deodato, Corbucci's assistant director) covnvinced Corbucci that Nero was a better choice."
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

IL COMMISSARIO

That's a great book, too. I got a hardcover copy of it. Well, you know there's always conflicting stories in film but it'd be nice to know what the real facts were. Curious about the Dionisio bit considering Deodato was an AD on DJANGO.

IL COMMISSARIO

Might ought to order a hardcover of this one too since it's also $1.00. :-\

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

Well, you know there's always conflicting stories in film but it'd be nice to know what the real facts were. Curious about the Dionisio bit considering Deodato was an AD on DJANGO.

Another version.  :-\ 

On the Blue Underground DVD, Nero and Deodato are interviewed in a short called "DJANGO: THE ONE AND ONLY.

Nero says that Damon was already scheduled to play Django, that Corbucci wanted him for the role, but that there was a conflict with Damon's schedule and the film's shooting schedule.  Deodato adds that there already was a contract made up for for Damon, but that he didn't like him for the role because he smiled too much - Deodato calls Damon "77 teeth" - and he wanted more of a Eastwood type for the role.   Nero concludes by noting that the Spanish producer of the film wanted a Spanish actor, not Nero, so the head of Euro International distributions, whom Nero calls "Fritzi" (sic?), looked at photos of Damon, Nero and a Spanish Actor and chose Nero for the role.  :-X
SNAPORAZ!

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

but Silvia Dionisio (the wife of Rugerro Deodato, Corbucci's assistant director) covnvinced Corbucci that Nero was a better choice."
I reckon this could be a mistake, Dionisio was born in 1951 making her 15 when Django was made. Deodato married her in '71.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Mart85

Another interesting bit being it was Damon who got Eastwood for FOD after being begged by Leone to find him an American actor. Damon himself was offered the role of the villain by Leone after he saw him in JOHNNY ORO but his agent talked him out of it.

Interesting.  Richard Harrison tells a similar story with him being offered the role of Joe.

IL COMMISSARIO

On the Blue Underground DVD, Nero and Deodato are interviewed in a short called "DJANGO: THE ONE AND ONLY.

Nero says that Damon was already scheduled to play Django, that Corbucci wanted him for the role, but that there was a conflict with Damon's schedule and the film's shooting schedule.  Deodato adds that there already was a contract made up for for Damon, but that he didn't like him for the role because he smiled too much - Deodato calls Damon "77 teeth" - and he wanted more of a Eastwood type for the role.   Nero concludes by noting that the Spanish producer of the film wanted a Spanish actor, not Nero, so the head of Euro International distributions, whom Nero calls "Fritzi" (sic?), looked at photos of Damon, Nero and a Spanish Actor and chose Nero for the role.  :-X

I should watch that interview again. Haven't watched that movie in a couple years. I remember none of that on the DVD features. :o

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

I should watch that interview again. Haven't watched that movie in a couple years. I remember none of that on the DVD features. :o

I watched DJANGO  ;) two nights ago and the disc's extras last night.  Also read the Hughes' chapter on DJANGO last night.  :-X
SNAPORAZ!

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture

A certain Italian movie star (not yet mentioned here, but I won't embarass him by repeating his far-fetched claims) told me he was the original choice for the roles of Django, Rocky Balboa, and a whole bunch of other famous ones.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Got my copy this morning. Looks like a decent read, can't go wrong for £1

I'll stick it next to the toilet and work my through it  :-\

Gary B.

Just read the intro chapter/preface and almost feel bad for only paying $1 for this...!  The author apparently spent a lot of time (and years re-writing) interviewing Damon and his past/present aquaintances...
regardless:  so far, so good!  Like Jonny, my copy is resting comfortably on my toilet.
 :-\

LANZETTA

Got mine today but it's going nowhere near my toilet. ;D

Looks like a fantastic read! :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.