• 23 Aug 2019 - 10:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mario Bava: All The Colors of the Dark (Tim Lucas)  (Read 15518 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

Holy shit, man...there's two USED copies on amazon; one for $350.00 and another for $800.00!!!! I don't care how gorgeous and well written it is, Lucas is out of his damn mind. :-* How many others here aside from Jonny were able to obtain one of these. I could have gotten one years ago on pre-order but I kept putting it off and putting it off....

IL COMMISSARIO

Re: Mario Bava: All The Colors of the Dark (Tim Lucas)
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008 - 23:37 »

I see it's listed for ONLY $260.00 at the VW site. :-\ I might could swing that. :-*

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008 - 23:55 »

How many others here aside from Jonny were able to obtain one of these. I could have gotten one years ago on pre-order but I kept putting it off and putting it off....

Kev Coed has one, Marc does too.

Anyone who didn't pre-order and is now regretting it is a fool imho.

You had your chance and you blew it frankly.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2008 - 23:57 »

If I could stop buying posters and lobby sets I could afford that $260.00 :-\

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2008 - 00:04 »

What I'm trying to say is...

If you'd have pre-ordered it all those years ago you'd have only spent $120 or so...
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2008 - 00:10 »

What I'm trying to say is...

If you'd have pre-ordered it all those years ago you'd have only spent $120 or so...

Yes, I know that, but at the time there were other things more important to me than this book. I don't see why the price skyrocketed like it did, though. I can understand wanting to be paid for your efforts but that kind of gouging is a bit much especially when it's still (apparently) in print.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2008 - 00:52 »

I'm a proud owner too.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2008 - 04:37 »

Yes, I know that, but at the time there were other things more important to me than this book. I don't see why the price skyrocketed like it did, though.

He underestimated how much it would cost to print it. Personally I think it's worth the $260 that it currently costs. Fortunately I only paid half of that.  :-\
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2008 - 07:55 »

Count me as a "fool" who didn't pre-order it. I cam close to pre-ordering it fucking years ago but in the end I did not, and for a good few years thereafter was quite happy that I didn't. For a long time it seemed like the book was never coming out!

I love Bava. I respect Lucas as an authority on Bava, but I really don't regret buying the book, in all honesty. Then again, I've not even perused its pages. Had I actually looked at the book, maybe I would think differently, I don't know.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2008 - 08:15 »

Well, like I said in my first post mate. Your only a fool if you didn't pre-order it when you had chance and are now regretting it. You're not regretting it so therefore you are not a fool.

:-\

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2008 - 22:04 »

My post was in jest and I thought it came through that way. I didn't regret it then, because like Paul said, I didn't think the book was even coming out and there were more important things I wanted at the time, and I don't regret not getting it now which isn't to say I won't buy it somewhere down the road (if it's still around). If I want something, I'll get it, regardless of the price only a then $120+ dollar book on Bava wasn't a priority to me when it was announced. :P

Bogan The Wanderer

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2008 - 05:21 »

I have it and like it.  It's absolutely massive and could have easily been split into two volumes, though Tim Lucas has offered a logical rationale elsewhere for not doing just that.  It actually does look like something which would have cost $250+ to print, so I can see why that's the current price (I pre-ordered, happily) but that's a big chunk of money.  I wish there were similar volumes around on sleazier topics, like the films of Jess Franco.  (Or the career of Rocco Siffredi).

The artwork in the book is awesome, and you can spend a long while paging through it and drooling.  Recommended for anyone on the fence about it.

Gary B.

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2008 - 06:20 »

I'm not a huge Bava fan besides SHOCK, RABID DOGS and BAY OF BLOOD (my stance was solidified after watching a lot of the movies in the recent Anchor Bay box sets), but would like to read this if the price ever dropped (future softcover edition?).

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2008 - 06:39 »

I think Tim Lucas has said that there won't be a softcover edition. The book is so damn big and heavy I don't think it would be possible to bind it that way.

Has anybody here read the whole book yet? So far I've only read the chapters about my favourite films but I'll probably start reading it in it's entirety soon. 
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2008 - 12:28 »

Has anybody here read the whole book yet? So far I've only read the chapters about my favourite films but I'll probably start reading it in it's entirety soon. 

Still not got round to reading any of it yet. Looked at the pictures a lot though! Would be nice to have each chapter as a small paperback to read on the bus.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.