• 16 Jul 2019 - 02:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mario Bava: All The Colors of the Dark (Tim Lucas)  (Read 14927 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Mario Bava: All The Colors of the Dark (Tim Lucas)
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2008 - 13:21 »

I'm the same as Ben, haven't read any of it. The limited edition packages that Tim Lucas sold on eBay came with a pdf of the whole book. That'd be great for loading onto a laptop and reading on the go.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #16 on: 09 Jun 2008 - 18:48 »

Seems to me I recall Lucas mentioning on one of his blogs the possibility of a text only reprint at some point. I`d definitely be interested in that if it happens, I`ve read a few of the chapters and bits `n`pieces here and there...the only comfortable way to read this book is at a table/desk. I`m glad I have it (bought it the last day it was going for $130), but aside from pulling it out to read up on a film I`ve just watched it`s too bulky for much casual brousing.

bigandya

« Reply #17 on: 17 Aug 2008 - 19:59 »

I bought it on pre-order when it was $180, and consider it worth every penny. And I've only browsed through rather than read it; its just too damned big and heavy to stick on your knee and read comfortably and relaxed. I wish someone would issue a digital version of it complete so those who want to could read it on their laptops.

A mate of mine bought 2 of the "extra limited edition" 10 Tim was auctioning off on Ebay with all the extra items - he bid $1000 on each of them and won numbers 1 and 2. We were both surprised to see that the bids didnt go much over $500 - and now someone's after $800 for an ordinary one on Amazon? Figure that'll sit there for a while...

Of course all the pre-ordered copies are also signed by Tim, which is an added bonus; I just wish he would number everything - I get real excited over signed AND numbered limited editions of things  ;D

Distorty

« Reply #18 on: 17 Aug 2008 - 23:19 »

I manged to swing this as a birthday christmas for two years present from my parents.

Proud proud owner.

Jens Thomsen

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2008 - 12:14 »

I thought for years about pre-ordering it, but then there was so much talk about whether it would ever surface or not so I never came around doing so. I did hurry to buy one, though, when it was printed and Lucas announced that the price would go up by the end of last August. So I got it for around $160, I think, and luckily avoided customs too.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but usually I will read the corresponding chapter when I've finished watching a Bava film. In my mind there is no doubt that I would buy the thing today even at the higher price if I hadn't pre-ordered in the last minute. It is well worth it if you are into Bava or the Italian genre film of the 1960's. The only regret is I didn't pre-order it sooner. A lot of my friends have their name in the "supporter pages" in the back of the book because they did and I am envious  ;D

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2008 - 12:25 »

Change your name to that of someone listed in the book. Problem solved.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2008 - 13:06 »

I thought for years about pre-ordering it, but then there was so much talk about whether it would ever surface or not so I never came around doing so.
Likewise, there was all this will it won't it carry on i didn't get around to it.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #22 on: 01 Sep 2008 - 16:15 »

Another proud owner here also, I pre-ordered when they had it sent to the printers. Like most people I also wondered when this would ever come out; I still remember seeing ads for it in Video Watchdog #1 or #2! I've always had a soft spot for Tim Lucas's work, going all the way back to the Gorezone'Fangoria days (my bible as a youth, and far more useful to me than any film class I ever attended.... ever.)

Tim has a gift for writing in a way that is accessable without being too academic and overly boring (much like Stephen Thrower, another genre writer I've always respected going back to the Eyeball fanzine and his tome on Lucio Fulci). Writers like this are a rare breed who write intelligently but don't retreat into the uber-boring realms of elitist academia that numbs the skull so much. Support them, for they really are few and far between.

The Bava book is worth every penny... I've read select chapters but it will be coming to Italy with me for a proper run-through. When you see the effort that's gone into it you really know why it costs so much. $250 (£125GBP) too much? Nope, I'd say it was a bargain. Bolt together 4 hard back books that size and it's not in any way overpriced. THEN factor in the wealth of research and effort and it's probably the bargain of the year. Any fans of Italian genre cinema would do well to start with this book... imho.

Congratulations to Tim and Donna Lucas for finally getting it finished!

"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

Peter

• Special Cop In Action
    • Giallo Locandine
« Reply #23 on: 01 Sep 2008 - 19:36 »

Tim has a gift for writing in a way that is accessable without being too academic and overly boring (much like Stephen Thrower, another genre writer I've always respected going back to the Eyeball fanzine and his tome on Lucio Fulci). Writers like this are a rare breed who write intelligently but don't retreat into the uber-boring realms of elitist academia that numbs the skull so much. Support them, for they really are few and far between.

I agree. Tim's writing is certainly good enough to keep your interest up, even he's writing about films with minor Bava involvement that you're unlikely to ever get the chance to see. In my case it was 170 pages until I got to a film that I've actually seen (I Vampiri) but I've throughly enjoyed it so far.
I'm making fairly slow progress since I'm watching the films before I read the corresponding chapter, but the next chapter (and film) up is one I've really been looking forward to, Blood & Black Lace.

Distorty

« Reply #24 on: 08 Sep 2008 - 05:51 »

The opening spread of the book, the red landscape. Does anyone have a JPG as high res as possible of this?

Thanks!

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #25 on: 08 Oct 2008 - 19:00 »

Has everyone read the recent blog entries about the first face-to-face meeting between Lamberto Bava and Lucas at the Cinema Wasteland con? There`s some great stories and photos.

http://www.videowatchdog.blogspot.com/

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #26 on: 08 Oct 2008 - 21:09 »

Has everyone read the recent blog entries about the first face-to-face meeting between Lamberto Bava and Lucas at the Cinema Wasteland con? There`s some great stories and photos.

http://www.videowatchdog.blogspot.com/

Cheers for the heads up Andrew!

I usually check the watchblog once a week and I'd not looked at it this week so far. Seriously cool stuff.  :'(
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #27 on: 08 Oct 2008 - 21:23 »

I was just thinking something, Tim mentions about Mario Bava watching a screening of NOSFERATU via a cinema's roof opening up due to the hot weather. This sounds like something really weird - a cinema that has a roof that opens up to let in cool air? Sergio Martino's 'Morte sospetta di una minorenne' has a cinema with a roof that retracts in exactly this way. 

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #28 on: 08 Oct 2008 - 22:01 »

This sounds like something really weird - a cinema that has a roof that opens up to let in cool air?

Tim notes at his blog (see Andrew's link) "On warm nights, the roof of this theater rolled back to let in the cool night air..."

Instead of AC, apparently they open the roof at night when it cools down.  Must be an Italian thing. 
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #29 on: 08 Oct 2008 - 22:37 »

Instead of AC, apparently they open the roof at night when it cools down.  Must be an Italian thing. 
You can see this in full effect in Sergio Martino's SUSPECTED DEATH OF A MINOR during a chase scene that ends up on the roof of a Milan cinema (during a showing of Ercoli's KILLER COP,i think?),a pretty amazing sight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.