• 05 Jun 2020 - 09:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat O'Nine Tails / Gatto a nove code (1971, Dario Argento)  (Read 8938 times)

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

Has anyone seen the German 2-disc of this Argento film: Die neunschwänzige Katze?

I have the Anchor Bay disc which is uncut with English, French, and Italian audio and some good extras but I was wondering how the German transfer was.  It also has English audio and an entire second disc of extras.

prospero

Has anyone seen the German 2-disc of this Argento film: Die neunschwänzige Katze?

I have the Anchor Bay disc which is uncut with English, French, and Italian audio and some good extras but I was wondering how the German transfer was.  It also has English audio and an entire second disc of extras.

don't think this has been answered yet so I will - I recently bought it. apparently, it used the AB transfer which means the image quality is only slightly inferior to the AB disc.
It has two scenes which weren't in the AB version, the quality of these scenes is lousy. they do add something to the film, though, as they strengthen the gay subplot involving the Umberto Raho and Horst Frank characters.
The second disc mainly features the German release version of the film, which is slightly shorter. there are loads of extras, several trailers, tv- and radio spots, poster gallery, audio interview with franciscus, etc.
nice package. digipack in a slipcase.
there's a deailed list of the extras, though it's in German.
http://www.wicked-vision.com/tabelle_reviewskurz.php?ID=1337
If you need something translated, just pm me.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Check out this 3D scam release:
http://www.amazon.com/Tails-Malden-Catherine-Spaak-Franciscus/dp/B004VGGZ1W/ref=sr_1_45?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1306604018&sr=1-45

There's also a supposed 3D disc of Tenebre!

What the? Sheer curiosity makes me want to see what that transfer looks like!
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

DVDBeaver on the BU Blu.

Zarith

DVDBeaver on the BU Blu.

This Blu ray looks stunning. The amount of details is impressive. Probably one of the best HD transfer of a Dario Argento film I saw...

Look at this:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews54/cat_o_nine_tails_blu-ray_/large/large_cat_o_nine_tails_blu-ray_4x.jpg

I didn't like Cat O'Nine Tails when I first saw it 20 years ago. I found it too confusing and couldn't relate to any of the characters. I guess a blind old guy as the lead was too much for a teenager. I also missed the violence of Argento's other film.

I saw it again a few weeks ago and totally changed my mind. It's now one of my favorite Argento ! It's a mature, well crafted, thriller. It's also filled with emotions, something rare in Argento's world.

As time goes by I totally re-evaluated Dario Argento filmography. At the beginning I was only enthusiast about Opera, Inferno, Suspiria and Tenebre... Now I enjoy his earlier thriller more. I find them more subtle and layered. I can watch regularly The Bird With Crystal Plumage without getting bored, while I don't think I tolerate more than 30 minutes of Inferno...

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!

I don't think I tolerate more than 30 minutes of Inferno...

Heresy!
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

...while I don't think I tolerate more than 30 minutes of Inferno...

Haven't seen it for years but I'll counter this 'controversial' post by mentioning that I can't get along with TENEBRAE anymore. Tried watching it recently and just couldn't get into it, it annoyed the hell out of me for some reason.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!

That louma crane camera shot doesn't help. It just stops the film dead in it's tracks.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

CardPlayer4

It's also filled with emotions, something rare in Argento's world.

I tend to think that most of the controversial Argento's post "Tenebre" works are more character driven than his early films and so are focused more IMO on emotions: in films like "Phenomena", "Trauma"," The Stendhal Syndrome", "Sleepless" or "The Card Player" there are some nice, likeable leads and performances (Connelly, Von Sydow, Rocca and Cunningham) and some moody, melancholic bits.
His early films were more dynamic, "flashy", and characters were more like puppets...however i agree that "Cat'o'nine tails" is a quite mature work, i like the leads (Malden/Franciscus/Spaak) and some of the ambiguous tones (the ending, for example)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
Re: Cat O'Nine Tails / Gatto a nove code (1971, Dario Argento)
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2011 - 20:23 »

Got an email from movietyme, my blu ray is on the way  ::)

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jun 2011 - 20:30 »

Mine arrived from Planet Axel yesterday.  It has been a while since I last saw this.  It looks to be a big improvement over the Anchor Bay DVD but the usual suspect(s) have panned it.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jun 2011 - 20:32 »

the usual suspect(s) have panned it.
Someone who likes to play with toy trains by any chance?

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Sundance

« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2011 - 21:45 »

Well I have to agree with whiggles, to my eyes the BR looks like crap. Like as if they dnrd it to hell (it looks like a painting or something) and then added fake grain to it. Close ups seem ok but otherwise... ugh. Unfortunately (for me) Arrow will probably use the same transfer except it will look it even worse as usual. ;D

http://www.landofwhimsy.com/funbag/catwtf1.jpg
http://www.landofwhimsy.com/funbag/catwtf3.jpg

Oh and I don't know whats up with the dvdbeaver caps (they look like they are missing the heavy grain) but they look like nothing I have seen on multiple other sites.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jun 2011 - 08:31 »

Looks hugely improved! Mines on the way
Dig that groove baby.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 34 queries.