• 04 Jul 2020 - 12:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Seven Notes In Black / Sette note in nero (Lucio Fulci, 1977)  (Read 25559 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

Originally posted by Jonny:

Murder to the Tune of the Seven Black Notes (1977) (aka Sette Note In Nero)
Aka The Psychic

Dir. Lucio Fulci

Starring Jennifer O’Neill, Marc Porel, Gianni Garko, Gabriele Ferzetti, Evelyn Stewart (Ida Galli)

Virginia Ducci (Jennifer O’Neill) suffers from bizarre psychic episodes that have haunted her since childhood. The latest of these features strange, seemingly unconnected images: a hole in a wall, a broken mirror, blurred red lights and a dead old woman. Having recently just married she decides to take a look at her husbands country house for the first time, with a view to renovating it for him, only to be shocked to discover that the house is somewhat familiar to her. Exploring the house further she discovers a room that is identical to the one in her visions and is compelled to take a pick axe to the wall, discovering the skeletal remains of a woman behind the brickwork. With the police now on the case Virginia tells them of her visions but is met with ridicule and so turns to her Para-Psychologist friend Luca Fattori (Marc Porel). He has a more understanding ear and is intrigued by her story.
With her husband now under arrest for the murder and the police not interested in her protests of her husband’s innocence, Virginia takes it upon herself to try and unravel the mysteries behind her visions and uncover the true murderer.
A rare treat from Lucio Fulci, a Giallo on a par with Argento or Bava’s work IMHO. The script is well written by Dardano Sachetti and Fulci with a very tight and intricate story that unwinds right up to the very end without the usual multiple red herrings and crazy plot twists to be found in most other ‘Gialli’. Fabio Frizzi delivers one of his most effective scores that builds up tension in all the right places and has a hint of what’s to come in later Fulci collaborations such as The Beyond (1981). The cast are all great most notably Jennifer O’Neill who not only is convincing as the troubled Virginia but looks gorgeous to boot! Marc Porel turns in a good performance as does Evelyn Stewart (Still looking great!) as Virginia’s bitchy sister in-law Gloria - “I’ve had 56 lovers and never killed any of them”
One of my favourite Fulci films, ‘Murder to The Tune of The Seven Black Notes’ has almost no gory set pieces, so the hardened Fulci fan who has been brought up on a steady diet of gut munching Zombies or chainsaw wielding nutters should approach with an open mind. For anyone who likes nothing better than a good, slow burning, mystery you can’t go far wrong with this.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Thanks for digging that one out Comp! Even though it was written about 5 years ago I still hold to most of my comments. Though since then I've become more enamored to 'Don't Torture a Duckling' a superb film...
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

No worries - this film really needs an official release - It's a great film but I have a sneaky suspicion this may be owned by Sony/MGM - the only DVD releases to my knowledge are both French and neither has English audio or subtitles. There is a fan-dubbed copy doing the rounds on the Alfa Digital label.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

The Alfa Digital disc wasn't bad at all but, to be honest, I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade my copy of this movie. I think it was desperately trying to repeat some of DUCKLING's glory (such as the priest's fall from that cliff) but it didn't do anything for me. I really wanted to like this one because I love Fulci and had been searching for it for years before the Alfa disc came out. You can crucify me now but I'd rather have even THE DEVIL'S HONEY or AENIGMA over this.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

It's definitely weaker than LIZARD and DUCKLING, but this is still an entertaining giallo with nice English countryside locations. I would definitely upgrade.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

You can crucify me now but I'd rather have even THE DEVIL'S HONEY or AENIGMA over this.

Well, I've not seen either of those two so I'm saying nothing.  ;D
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

IL COMMISSARIO

Haven't seen DEVIL'S HONEY but AENIGMA??!??  :-\ :-\ I heard that the Image DVD is cut. What is missing and does it improve the movie any at all? The snail rape scene was the only thing in this I found interesting, IMO. Passed over 7 NOTES IN BLACK. Aside from the alfa digital disc, is their a better version out there?

Stephen Grimes

I had the deluxe French 2 disc which states on the packaging there is an English track but unfortunately there's only French and Italian,traded it awhile back on the Maniacs forum.
Sme great extras on it though which run for over 2 hours including a Gianni Garko interview and a nice feature on the Movieola with husband and wife editing team Bruno and Ornella Micheli who did countless movies through Italy's goldenage of cinema.   

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films

I think we can safely expect to see this hitting R1 DVD soon   :D

That's all for now though.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

I think we can safely expect to see this hitting R1 DVD soon   :D

That's all for now though.

Don't want to sound like a moaning mini, but there's just way too much stuff coming out this side of Christmas!  :-\

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
Re: Seven Notes In Black/Sette note in nero (Lucio Fulci, 1977)
« Reply #10 on: 07 Aug 2007 - 11:49 »

It probably won't be this side of Christmas.
Nucleus Films

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #11 on: 07 Aug 2007 - 11:52 »

It probably won't be this side of Christmas.

Well that's a relief - there's the second Bava set, Blade Runner, Kubrick Colelction, Twilight Zone - The Movie, O Lucky Man, and probably loads more that I can't think of, off the top of my head!

Still, I'm really glad that this is going to get an official release. I'm not a massive fan of the flick, but it's still and enjoyable giallo.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #12 on: 07 Aug 2007 - 23:10 »

Actually, I have some BIG news to post tomorrow.. so keep checking here.
Nucleus Films

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #13 on: 07 Aug 2007 - 23:24 »

Actually, I have some BIG news to post tomorrow.. so keep checking here.

Nothing like being left in the dark - cheers!  :-\

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #14 on: 08 Aug 2007 - 10:42 »

I've just this minute added a news item to the Severin site - go check it out pronto!

http://www.severin-films.com/news.html
Nucleus Films

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 34 queries.