• 22 Mar 2017 - 23:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't Torture a Duckling / Non si sevizia un paperino (Lucio Fulci, 1972)  (Read 21878 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Starring Florinda Bolkan, Marc Porel, Irene Papas, Tomas Milian, Barbara Bouchet, George Wilson.

After the disappearance of a young boy a small town in remote Southern Italy is thrown into turmoil as, after four days of extensive searching, no sign of the boy can be found. The only clue to the child’s whereabouts comes in the form of a ransom note sent to the village priest Don Alberto (Marc Porel). As the police are going over the details of the note a newspaper reporter, Andrea Martelli (Tomas Milian), notices that there’s something flawed about the ransom demand, specifically that the money being demanded by the would be kidnapper is ridiculously low. The money is sent to the location as per the demand in the note and sure enough Giuseppe, the village idiot, is caught picking up the money. Soon the body of the boy is found and Giuseppe cracks and admits to making the ransom demands but denies killing the boy, saying he merely found the body in the woods. Even though Giuseppe has more or less confessed the chief of the murder investigation starts to have doubts as to whether he actually did murder the boy and soon enough the corpse of another young boy is found…
An often overlooked little gem from Lucio Fulci. Though most would associate his work with over the top gore drenched set pieces what we are treated to here is a thoroughly impressive and very competently made Giallo, something he would repeat 5 years later with the equally notable ‘Murder to the Tune of the Seven Black Notes’ (1977), which as well as having Marc Porel in the cast, albeit in a much smaller role, interestingly features a character’s demise almost shot-for-shot identical to one featured in ‘Duckling’, though I won’t go into great detail for fear of spoiling the film for anyone who hasn’t seen it. Let’s just say it involves a face bashing against rocks on a cliff face…
Good performances all round from a cast of familiar faces including a very easy on the eyes Barbara Bouchet (her opening scene is possibly most jaw dropping sight I have ever seen..) and the ever excellent Florinda Bolkan, putting in the best performance out of the entire cast as Maciara the village witch. Marc Porel and Tomas Milian are very good too, though Milian’s character is a far cry from his Nico Giraldi roles so don’t expect any 'Cop In Blue Jeans' type antics from him in this one!
Apparently this was Fulci’s favourite of his own films and I tend to agree with him, the die-hard gorehounds probably won’t agree though and will still covet 'Zombi 2' or 'The Beyond' as the Fulci masterworks but I’ll take ‘Duckling…’ and ‘…Seven Black Notes’ over any of the gory stuff anyday.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I think this is a truly great giallo - and it's a toss up between this and LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN for my favourite Fulci flick. Everything about this film transcends generic conventions - location, subject matter, etc. It's a really great film.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

The Hunchback

Apparently this was Fulci’s favourite of his own films and I tend to agree with him,

I've learned that unless you hear it from the man himself not to take what other people "said" so seriously.

Tomas Milian, in an interview, said that "Four of the Apocalypse" was Fulci's favorite.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Apparently this was Fulci’s favourite of his own films and I tend to agree with him,

I've learned that unless you hear it from the man himself not to take what other people "said" so seriously.

Tomas Milian, in an interview, said that "Four of the Apocalypse" was Fulci's favorite.

Absolutely true, that's why I said 'apparently'  :D

Plus I'd never take anything Tomas Milian said seriously either!  :-\
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

The Hunchback

Absolutely true, that's why I said 'apparently'  :D

AH!

I'll be seeing this very soon. Got it in line from a rental online shop.
Unfortunatly I had a sneaky look at the very end on youtube. :-[

I'll try to forget it.

IL COMMISSARIO

I passed over this at least a dozen times. I've got a huge upcoming Giallo purchase in line very soon.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

If this grab doesn't inspire you guys to check out 'Don't Torture a Duckling' asap I don't know what will!

IL COMMISSARIO

I'm probably the only one here who hasn't seen it. It's just been pushed to the top of the PURCHASE PILE!

vigilanteforce

If this grab doesn't inspire you guys to check out 'Don't Torture a Duckling' asap I don't know what will!

That seduction scene is a classic Johny! Its worth buying the disc for that scene alone! The rest of the movie is excellent as well!

dracucarr

Those of you who haven't seen this one you are in for a treat I assure you  ::). Barbara Bouchet is very sleazy and upon first viewing I found her earlier scenes uncomfortable to watch because I didn't know where the plot was going. The real winner though is Florinda Balkan and what really impresses me everytime I see it is that we see how truly great an actress she is. Covered in dirt and rags she wasn't all glammed up and used as an arousal tool and this is why I loved Fulci here. One scene in particular really is quite horrifying and with so much emotional depth to it this isn't your typical giallo movie. I can't recommend this enough. Child killing is interesting in these films and I point towards Who Saw Her Die in what I think is also an underappreciated film. I love the scores to both of these films.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I was bigging up WHO SAW HER DIE? on another thread - it's an exceptional gialli and, as with DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING, one of my favourite gialli.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

dracucarr

It really is excellent isn't it! Glad to see we both enjoy these two!

Peter Neal

One of my alltime genre faves and another Euro horror desperatedly in need to be discovered and cherished outside the "cult movie scene"! ;)

During my years in filmschool I was somewhat halfconsciously dreaming of adapting this at some point in my later "career" as a Northern European set remake. 8)
Well, film isn't that much on my agenda any more these days, but my appreciation of "Duckling" hasn't faded away.

As far as it being Fulci's fave is concerend: I remember the man naming it in his very last intereview in Fango in '95 as his personal favourite. ;)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

As far as it being Fulci's fave is concerend: I remember the man naming it in his very last intereview in Fango in '95 as his personal favourite. ;)
I though "Beatrice Cenci" was Fulci's favourite out of his films.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Richard C

I enjoyed this one (picked up recently as part of the Blue Underground reissues). Also picked up a French boot (a very poor quality one at that) of this at a car boot sale:

I'd say this was a fairly recent video (late 90s perhaps) but there doesn't seem to be any dates on it so I can't be sure.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 19 queries.