• 26 Jun 2022 - 07:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Illustrious Corpses / Cadaveri eccellenti (Francesco Rosi, 1976)  (Read 16818 times)

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

I am not sure whether this one should be in the European Arthouse Cinema section or here in the Gialli and Horror section.  Since it is generally regarded as a giallo I thought that I would post it here.  I have just finished building a fan DVD of this one using the out of print Italian DVD as the video source and a subtitle file DjangoLi posted here a few months back.  I have built two versions: a DVD-9 and a DVD-5.  The difference in quality between the two is negligible.  Also included on the disc is an interview with the director Francesco Rosi.  Sadly it does not have any subtitles but still serves as a nice extra.  Below are some screenshots from the DVD and a video of the motion menu:

Illustrious Corpses Fan DVD Menu

It appears that there are some minor errors in the subtitles that I did not notice when producing the DVD.  This subtitle file had over 800 lines of text so well done to Jim Quigley, whoever you are, for the job you did here.  It must have taken quite a while to sub this one.

My next fan DVD will be a 16x9 enhanced version of DEATH IN HAITI (aka TROPIC OF CANCER) using the Eire VHS as source.  If anyone can think of any VHS releases of gialli or poliziesco that were in widescreen and did not have any subtitles burnt into the image let me know as I might have a go at enhancing them.

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Special Cop In Action
    • Fragments of Fear - A Giallo Podcast

Haven't seen it, but it looks like winner. You must have done this one really quickly Oli. It wasn't long ago since you posted that you were planning to do it next.

As for your next project being DEATH IN HAITI  ;) Any film starring Anita Strindberg is worth watching 8)

Andrew Monroe

I have a dvd-r of this, it`s a superlative political thriller. I think it actually has more in common with some American thrillers of the same era like THE PARALLAX VIEW - conspiracies involving a secret circle of higher-ups that are the real power in control - it`s bleak, riveting stuff. Those screen caps look beautiful, looks like you`ve done a bang-up job, Oli. I was going to revisit this film soon anyway, but now I think I`ll wait till I get a copy of yours. Great cast in this too!

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato

Great stuff Demented and Django did a superb job with the subs for this one. It was a tough one to do. The film itself is essential for any Euro Crime/Political Thriller fan.

Jay

I have the SBS broadcast (Australia) in widescreen in Italian language with English subs if it helps. Of course, the visual quality is a tad pat compared to the DVD.

Jay

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!

I think I'm falling in love with Oli   8)
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Just finished watching this and really enjoyed it. Great job Oli and Mr Quigley/DjangoLi!

Got to say I think having this in the Giallo section is a touch misleading so I'm shifting it over to the Crime section where it will sit comfortably with IO HO PAURA.

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action

Folks... I didn't have a hand in the subs with this one. I've only just noticed this thread now.

All credit should go to Mr Quigley... In fact, it was a forum member here who pointed out the english subs to me (on another site) Credit where credit is due - an 800+ line film would have taken ages. Respect to Mr. Quigley all round - cheers.
"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

Thanks for the kind words everyone. 

Here is the cover if anyone wants it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/126747872/ILLUSTRIOUS_CORPSES.zip

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

I have a dvd-r of this, it`s a superlative political thriller. I think it actually has more in common with some American thrillers of the same era like THE PARALLAX VIEW - conspiracies involving a secret circle of higher-ups that are the real power in control - it`s bleak, riveting stuff.

Yeah, I was thinking of THE PARALLAX VIEW, which I love, and ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN while watching Oli's excellent Fansub last night.  Definitely bleak and probably a more common occurence in Western governments than I want to think about.  Yikes!

Criterion has also put out two Francesco Rosi films on DVD, SALVATORE GIULIANI (1961) and HANDS OVER THE CITY (1963), which are both political corruption/crime films, both very good.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Andrew Monroe

Yeah, I was thinking of THE PARALLAX VIEW, which I love, and ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN while watching Oli's excellent Fansub last night.  Definitely bleak and probably a more common occurence in Western governments than I want to think about.  Yikes!

Criterion has also put out two Francesco Rosi films on DVD, SALVATORE GIULIANI (1961) and HANDS OVER THE CITY (1963), which are both political corruption/crime films, both very good.

Glad you enjoyed it, Michael. I too watched Oli`s fansub over the weekend (thanks to Jonny!), and it looked absolutely gorgeous. A vast improvement on my VHS-sourced dvd-r. Definitely a film that rewards multiple viewings as there`s quite a bit to take in. Thanks for the tip on those 2 Rosi films from Criterion, I didn`t know they had released them. Will definitely be picking them up at some point.

Claes

As I'm starting to become quite a Rosi fan, this title certainly looks interesting. How do I proceed if I want to see this?
Unfortunately I do not have anything obscure to trade. Greatful for help.

/Claes

edit. Case resolved, a member was kind enough to help me out.

alan tozer

• Almost Human

Rosi's best film is The Mattei Affair but unfortunately very hard to see. Not even on dvd in Italy.

mattblake

Why is Rosi stuff so difficult to find, especially with English subs?  It seems like all those arthouse-but-not-quite-arthouse-enough directors (your Comencini's, Petri's, Risi's, Rosi's etc) are absolutely under-represented on DVD, even when the films have played in seasons with subs around the world. 

Raf A.

I have a very good looking avi file of Il caso Mattei, as well as English subs. My friend and I are working on creating the anamorphic! dvd of the film. The rendering of the file is done. Soon the dvd will be made.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.