• 22 Jan 2021 - 02:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tower of Evil (Jim O' Connolly, 1972)  (Read 18219 times)

fdsmedia

Re: Tower of Evil (Jim O' Connolly, 1972)
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jul 2008 - 20:31 »

Well it's possible but unlikely. If they did a NTSC to PAL conversion of the Elite disc, why would they need to re-edit it? Now I'm curious, how can we find out if any of the discs is cut?  :-X

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2008 - 12:15 »

Is it possible that the running time on the BBFC site even for the video releases is before the telecine is performed and might be the the 24fps timing.  Can you confirm the timing on the DD disc itself?

fdsmedia

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2008 - 12:18 »

I checked the disc yesterday and it's indeed 90m 2s.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2008 - 12:23 »

My mistake.  I took the running time of the Elite disc from the Video Watchdog review (sometimes its easier searching through my back issues than it is looking for a disc in the shelf).  The running time of the disc is 90m 3s.

fdsmedia

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2008 - 12:44 »

Ok so maybe we can assume that they are identical, and one of them is not properly converted.,,

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2008 - 12:49 »

If the X Certificate at the BBFC is correct and the running time at the time of submission in 1972 was 88m 53s then I would say the UK disc is the port and that perhaps that running time is indicative of a submission after cuts were made or they cut stuff out before submitting it the first time to the BBFC (the film was an American-British co-production so perhaps they knew that some stuff would be more acceptable in the US and overseas than it would be in the UK).

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jul 2008 - 23:35 »

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHhZzWCoxw
Australian Roadshow Video Trailer (does not seem complete):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDxd839Teg

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jul 2008 - 19:58 »

This is a great movie. Saw it on tv years ago under the HORROR ON SNAPE ISLAND title. Was going to buy the poster for it under the BEYOND THE FOG moniker. Another influential movie on the slasher craze.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jul 2008 - 23:25 »

I would like to have seen some of the trailers or spots for the retitlings.

Red Skeletons

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2008 - 09:12 »

If anyone feels like picking this one up, the Elite disc goes cheap at Amazon market place....you can also get it cheap as part of Elite's British Horror Collection (also on Marketplace), a boxset collecting TOWER, INSEMINOID, HORROR HOSPITAL, and something called CURSE OF THE VOODOO...all 4 DVDs are the regurlar keep case editions, simply housed in a large slipcase...

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jul 2008 - 09:36 »

If anyone feels like picking this one up, the Elite disc goes cheap at Amazon market place....you can also get it cheap as part of Elite's British Horror Collection (also on Marketplace), a boxset collecting TOWER, INSEMINOID, HORROR HOSPITAL, and something called CURSE OF THE VOODOO...all 4 DVDs are the regurlar keep case editions, simply housed in a large slipcase...

Its a good value but INSEMINOID is non-anamorphic and missing a short scene present on the HORROR PLANET tape.  Anchor Bay UK's Norman Warren set includes a new transfer and commentary.  CURSE OF THE VOODOO is the uninteresting CURSE OF SIMBA, another Richard Gordon production (as are the other three) that, like TOWER OF EVIL and DEVIL DOLL, stars Bryant Halliday (the late co-founder of Janus Films that distributed Bergman's other sixties trilogy).

fdsmedia

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jul 2008 - 09:38 »

I bought Horror Hospital and Curse of the Voodoo from eBay for $5  ::)

Red Skeletons

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jul 2008 - 14:51 »

A little off topic here, but I might pick up the Norman J. Warren set as mentioned by Ecc - anyone know if these sets are coming in regurlar slipcases these days - I'm not so hot on the coffins...I'm thinking of the boys at Play squeezing that into one of their envelopes... :(

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jul 2008 - 15:06 »

They're still in the coffin cases. I think Play might have sent mine in a box rather than a jiffy bag when I had mine.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

CJ

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jul 2008 - 02:25 »

I first saw this a few years back courtesy of the Elite DVD. I thought it wasn't too bad - in spite of Robin Askwith's shortlived American accent. But it's an enjoyable romp, overall.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.